Why no two-circle flow?

By lucasjung, in X-Wing Rules Questions

This isn't exactly a question about rules so much as a commentary on the system, but I couldn't find a more appropriate place to put this topic. If there's a better place, please let me know and I'll take it there.

I just finished going over the rules, and was somewhat stunned that, because of the way this game is set up, a basic, fundamental concept of fighter combat has been left out: two-circle flow.

In a turning dogfight, there are two basic ways to gain an advantage (that is, to get into a firing position behind your adversary): turn tighter (smaller radius of turn) or turn faster (higher rate of turn). If both fighters are turning in opposite relative directions/the same cardinal direction, then they are both moving along the same circle towards each other, and this is known as "one circle flow" or "a one-circle fight." If they are both turning in the same relative direction/opposite cardinal directions, then they are moving along two separate circles (which, combined, form a figure eight), and this is known as "two circle flow" or "a two-circle fight." In a one-circle fight, the fighter with the smaller radius of turn will win, and so it is also known as a "radius of turn fight." In a two-circle fight, the fighter with the higher rate of turn will win, and so it is also known as a "rate of turn fight." Wikipedia actually has a reasonably good explanation, complete with diagrams.

Unfortunately, while this game allows for a radius of turn flight (one circle flow), it does not allow for a rate of turn fight (two circle flow). The former is possible because some fighters get to perform the "Turn" maneuver at lower speeds than others, which has the effect of letting them turn with a smaller radius. The latter is impossible because all fighters in the game have the same maximum rate of turn: 90 degrees/round. This is unfortunate, because allowing for both types of flow would dramatically increase the tactical depth of the game without adding any complexity to the rules. Consider two fighters approaching each other: one has a smaller minimum radius of turn, while the other has a higher maximum rate of turn. The pilot with the smaller radius of turn will try to make it a one-circle fight, while the other pilot will try to make it a two-circle fight.

My recommendation: give the A-wing and the TIE interceptor the ability to turn more than 90 degrees/round, but make their turn-radius performance slightly worse than the X-wing and the TIE fighter. If this were done, the interceptors (A-wing and TIE interceptor) would have the advantage in two-circle fights, while the general-purpose fighters (X-wing and TIE fighter) would have the advantage in one-circle fights, and the pilots of each type would seek to establish the "right" kind of flow. The best way I can think of to accomplish this would be to include new turn templates in the A-wing and TIE interceptor packs, which allow them to turn more than 90 degrees when they make the "Turn" maneuver (e.g. 120 degrees, or maybe even 135).

I'm admittedly no expert on real aerial combat, but i believe in the interests of simplicity and size thye decided to omit this. It's just guess work on my part, but having played a few matches, I'm rather happy that 90 degrees is as far as a ship can turn, outside of a "koiogran turn." Any more than that and it would feel a little unbalanced.

lucasjung said:

My recommendation: give the A-wing and the TIE interceptor the ability to turn more than 90 degrees/round, but make their turn-radius performance slightly worse than the X-wing and the TIE fighter. If this were done, the interceptors (A-wing and TIE interceptor) would have the advantage in two-circle fights, while the general-purpose fighters (X-wing and TIE fighter) would have the advantage in one-circle fights, and the pilots of each type would seek to establish the "right" kind of flow. The best way I can think of to accomplish this would be to include new turn templates in the A-wing and TIE interceptor packs, which allow them to turn more than 90 degrees when they make the "Turn" maneuver (e.g. 120 degrees, or maybe even 135).

Really doubt this will happen as the TIE Interceptor and A-Wing both retail for $15.00 and we have also already seen the contents of both boxes.

But, both the A-Wing and T-I do have the new "Boost" rule, which I believe will let them perform and other movement action and as such could allow them to perform a second 90° turn. This is purely speculation though.