Melee Combat Difficulty Change

By Chrislee66, in Game Mechanics

I happened to notice a clarification in the update in relation to the melee combat difficulties and believe that it warrants more attention. Prior to the clarification the idea of opposed checks for melee and brawl existed, and I think it should, in fact, become the default for two primary reasons.

First, a static difficulty of two means that, systemically, characters are going to strike each other with relative ease. Initiative will become more important, as will surprise. I believe that this flies in the face of the style of game I believe Edge of the Empire and the greater product line as a whole are attempting to conjure. With the RAW there won't be any grand duels with a great deal of back and forth, with both sides desperately struggling to land a blow. The opponent that goes first will strike and likely inflict a reasonable amount of damage or a critical wound, decisively affecting the outcome of the combat. As an opposed check the defender isn't nearly so disadvantaged, and with the inclusion of threats and advantage the opportunity for truly interesting combat scenarios arises.

Second, it's simply not sensible. A skilled combatant should be much better able to defend himself or herself than an untrained individual, or a child. Further, a specific talent shouldn't be necessary to reflect this difference. I understand and agree with the notion that reality has little place in the creation of a rules system, but believe that some level of rational sense should be the ideal. In this particular instance I don't believe that has been achieved.

A standard difficulty of two for melee attacks should apply if the target is unaware or in motion but unable to dodge, but all other melee combat checks should, for the sake of cinematics and sense, be opposed roles.

And it seems that there's already a thread all about this…

Whoops.