New Update for Oath And Anvil!

By Budgernaut, in Rune Age

Here is the new update for Oath and Anvil. Not really anything new, but it's good to see that FFG hasn't forgotten about it completely.

I am quite unhappy becouse only 2 new scenarios, but everything looks so pretty good ;-)

(expansion preordered)

I'm very excited for this expansion and glad that FFG hasn't forgotten about it. Hopefully it sorts out some of the balance issues (like helping the elves), but the thing I'm most looking forward to are the new scenarios. I like the fact that the game plays very differently depending on which scenario you are playing. This gives it lots of replay value.

Think there will be any more expansions after this one?

Style75 said:

I'm very excited for this expansion and glad that FFG hasn't forgotten about it. Hopefully it sorts out some of the balance issues (like helping the elves), but the thing I'm most looking forward to are the new scenarios. I like the fact that the game plays very differently depending on which scenario you are playing. This gives it lots of replay value.

Think there will be any more expansions after this one?

The part I've been most excited about is the new factions, but after reading this article. But I'm also really excited for the PvP scenario that doesn't have player elimination. What a neat idea!

As for future expansions, I really doubt it. Not that it wouldn't be cool, but A) I'm not sure if they'll sell enough Oath and Anvil to make it worthwhile, and B) I'm not sure what else they can add. I'm also afraid that further expansions might make the game too bloated, but then again, it might be like Banners of War, the Runewars expansion, where there are a ton of new rules, but you pick and choose which ones to include. So for instance, in a future expansion, you could choose not to include mercenary units.

IMHO the best idea for second expansion to Rune Age after this one, could be a "scenario pack" with for example 6 new scenarios (about 250 cards total). Nice idea can be also 4 news scenarios and 1, maybe 2 new tactic/spell card for each race to buy it from barracks or some special bouilding played as stronghold but with higher cost and some ability working like runes or rewards ;-)

I'd really like to see them do something else with the dragon runes, so far there has only been one scenario that uses them, which seems a waste. I'd kinda like to see the heroes from Runewars/Runebound appear as neutral units you can draft - only one of each card though, like the neutral cities, but with commander effects perhaps - like the cities, once you get them they remain a constant presence boosting units, but maybe opponents can put in a bid to get them to come over to their own side, or something. Optional rules (maybe like this) would be really nice, adding more to the existing scenarios rather than continually bringing new ones to the table.

I'd like to see further expansions for this game, and hope Oath & Anvil sells well enough that they consider this a viable option. I don't see it getting too bloated if it only grows at a rate of one-expansion-per-year. I suppose if Runewars sees another expansion, it won't be too long before they make a Rune Age version of that - the two games seem to be very closely bound up together, after all. I personally think it's only a matter of time before this happens, too, as I don't think it'll be too long before Runewars sees the orcs and the dwarfs as factions.

The opportunities for expansions are limitless though, given how Terrinoth is their own IP.

That's a very good point about it not getting too bloated. Other deckbuilders have quite a few expansions, so this one should be able to handle a few as well.