[IH]How to apply skill changes from Background packages?

By Gregorius21778, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

I am starting to wonder if there are differences between

"gaining skill X" / "gaing skill X at the start of the game" and

"You gain skill a, b, c and d as starting skill "

On page 27, there is the "Void Commercia" Package for Adepts. In this package, a lot of skills are handed out (7, to be precise). One of them is "Common Lore (Imperium). One of the starting skills every adept gets (p. 24; Core rules):

No I wonder if it is meant that the original starting skills are "swept aside" and these new starting skills are use. Since a lot of the other packages use the "gain skill" / "gain skill at the start" and not the "as starting skills" wording.

Have I overlooked / over-read something? Can you help me out?

Since you have to buy the background packages, I imagine it's just one more instance where the original writers simply overlooked the duplication of a skill listing. Or, to be more charitable, it was done intentionally to cover the hypothetical situation where some GMs would let people buy into new careers (often the explanation for why even the skills you don't choose between at chargen are available at rank 1).

It's also possible that a Homeworld choice might take away a starting Skill option (for example, they were probably considering simply disallowing Common Lore (Imperial) as a Starting Skill for Forge World characters, but given that it would be needed for a Void Commercia character they decided to make certain they'd get it. In this way, future Homeworld choices that do take that route don't accidentally take away a mandatory Skill for such a character Background.

I think I stick with Lathi.

After some more reading in packages, the term "as starting skills" shows up in other entries that do NOT offer "a bunch of skill". Therefore, I put in under "minor mistake found in the IH". ... and boy, the Void Merchants starts with a hell of skills! ^^