On Destiny Points, XP, and Once Per Session Talents

By EldritchFire, in General Discussion

Most of my gaming is done via PbP, which isn't conducive at all to the notion of "per session resources."

Destiny points are rolled at the beginning of each session, and XP is awarded at the end, and per session talents are all based on the idea of sitting down together. That's awesome for those who can do that.

Please, for all of us who don't have a local group, throw us a bone. Even if it's just a sidebar in the GMing chapter.

I know EotE is in it's "final" stage of development, and such drastic changes aren't really a priority, but I felt the need to voice my opinion.

There are games out there that have rules in place that could be looked at. Technoir has the Push Dice mechanic, each player gets 3 push dice, and when spent they go to the GM. Very similar to destiny points. Marvel Heroic has their Milestones. Act a certain way in character, and gain 1/3/10 XP.

Thanks for listening to a madman's rant.

-EF

You could just put timelines on what consists of a "session" in a PbP game. Are your games combat heavy? How about a session consists of two separate combat encounters and includes whatever is in between? More investigative groups could reset the points after every combat encounter. Just a simple OOC post resetting the pool and talents wouldn't be that difficult in my estimation.

As above, or maybe consider using a discrete run/heist/job/mission as the new session.

I agree that it is unclear on what a session constitutes, is it a couple of hours of play or one act of an adventure?

As an example, how many sessions would Crates of Krayts represent as xp should be awarded at the end of each session?

Just an observation that specifically pertains to Destiny Points, but you could roll them at the beginning of a PbP campaign and never re-roll them. Since every point spent by the players becomes a point for the GM to spend and vis-versa, the Destiny Point pool is theoretically self-sustaining indefinitely.