Call of Cthulhu LCG podcast query

By Lee_Murdock, in CoC General Discussion

(Cross posted from BGG Forums)

I am contemplating starting a Call of Cthulhu LCG podcast. We have great podcasts for lotr and thrones already and I feel that Cthulhu has been poorly represented. So I put this out to the community. What do you want in a cthullhu lcg podcast? Some ideas I have come up with:

• New set discussion
  • Old asylum pack overviews.
  • metagame information
  • Mythos lore and how it relates to the game
  • Interviews with tournament winner / top finishers
  • newbie information / rules clarification.

Please reply here with any feedback or suggestions. Thanks

yes.

yes.

and yes.

It seams there are lot of casual player : according to informations from Edge (French editor), a lot of coreset has been sold, but very few asylum pack and extension…

So there are lot of player know only basics mechanics and coreset cards.

I'm not very used of podcast, but i'm thinking if you talk about advanced mechanics, you don't help the game : players needs a simple but interessant game.

Maybe it could be good to talk about mixing faction : 2 or 3 , make the deck hardest to manage but give some extra tools to manage opponent or make great combo

Maybe talk about computer tools (deckbuilder / lackey to test solo and online)

talk about new format : 1 extension by faction.

New player have always the same question : what i need to buy to start playing ? lot of answers focus on coreset x2 (only cards x1 sad.gif ) and arkham extension x1 (only cards x2 sad.gif )

I don't know if you can make "pub" for forum, like cardgamedb.com and cenacle cthonien (french forum but some foreigner post in english).

I don't know other non official forum talking about Coc !

Is it only 1 podcast or regular podcast?

with regular podcast it's possible to focus on 1 special theme and developp it

Thanks by advance for your work :)

I think the intent is for this to be an ongoing series of podcasts, although the frequency and length is yet unknown.

Personally, I'd love to see more attention given to Cthulhu and a new podcast would be a great way to help raise awareness.

cardgamedb has already offered to host the files and they can potentially provide forum space as well I think.

I'm local to Lee, and willing to help out however I can too.

I also think it would be cool to do a series of remote interviews with different players from the forums sometime. Probably one with Damon and one with Erik as well.

This is a really great idea. I'm a regular host of a long-running Star Wars Miniatures podcast (last week we did the 137th weekly episode) and it's a great resource for the community. Star Wars Miniatures has a pretty small community since it was discontinued a few years ago (although there is a Player's Committee creating new stats regularly like many other discontinued games) and I think these small communities are the ones that benefit most from things like this. Both basic and advanced strategies can be discussed, you just have to be able to discuss the more advanced strategies in such a way that a beginner can understand.

Cool, I may have some questions for you then :) What's the name of your podcast?

Do it.

Great idea ! All the items you listed make sense. Deck building tips would be nice too.

This would be an excellent idea. The frequency of podcasts would be the main question. I would favour a quarterly one (every 3months) myself.

Don't be over the top for just competitive players either, make a mix of topics/events/cards that will be interesting to a wider group of audiences at various levels. Save the really high competitive topics for special podcasts.

I've actually been waiting for a while for someone to try this out.

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a quarterly podcast, what is the advantage of doing them so infrequently?

The ones I know of tend to be either weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly.

We're still working on the format but I think we're leaning towards a monthly release at the moment. Since FFG is going to a once every 4 months release schedule, probably every 4th episode would have a large portion devoted to reviewing the new expansion. There will be plenty of content for newer players, it's not just for the hardcore guys.

I think that hardcore vs casual is more about presenting in a convinient way rather than the content itself. I really enjoyed Day9 SC2 podcasts, even though they covered quite advanced concepts and my SC2 skills would be not enough to make use of them. But he was talking in an understandable way, rather than using many words and concepts obvious to veterans without explanation. And for me, he succeeded in not being boring and that's key element :P

I also wonder what exactly are you going to talk about. Meta? Tournament results? Ppl in tournament scene? Game evolution? Specyfic cards? Deckbuilding? Gameplay tips? Card Art? Something different?

Who is running the podcast and how much experience in game do they have?

dboeren said:

I'm not sure I've ever heard of a quarterly podcast, what is the advantage of doing them so infrequently?

The ones I know of tend to be either weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly.

We're still working on the format but I think we're leaning towards a monthly release at the moment. Since FFG is going to a once every 4 months release schedule, probably every 4th episode would have a large portion devoted to reviewing the new expansion. There will be plenty of content for newer players, it's not just for the hardcore guys.

In my experience, more frequent tends to equal less quality and interest of subject matter; less frequently tends to equal higher quality and more interest of subject matter.

Regardless, monthly sounds fine too, but I wouldn't go more often than that unless it is a one-off special podcast (ex. tournament/special interview/etc). However this is just my opinion.

.Zephyr. said:

I think that hardcore vs casual is more about presenting in a convinient way rather than the content itself. I really enjoyed Day9 SC2 podcasts, even though they covered quite advanced concepts and my SC2 skills would be not enough to make use of them. But he was talking in an understandable way, rather than using many words and concepts obvious to veterans without explanation. And for me, he succeeded in not being boring and that's key element :P

I also wonder what exactly are you going to talk about. Meta? Tournament results? Ppl in tournament scene? Game evolution? Specyfic cards? Deckbuilding? Gameplay tips? Card Art? Something different?

Who is running the podcast and how much experience in game do they have?

Yeh, I'd say that's pretty well put too.

Yeah, the main difference in most games between beginner advice and expert advice is how much explanation you give with it, and maybe how easy it is to use the advice in an actual game. The concepts I think aren't really so hard, the advantage of the veteran player comes mainly from better judgement in the game and better deck building skills before the game.

At this point it looks like Lee and I will be the ones doing it. I have no prior podcast experience but he's done one before. We haven't gotten to discuss the format enough yet but I think most of it will be useful to casual level players on up. I promise we'll tell you more once we figure it out :)