Lack of Starships in Beta?

By Logrey, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beta

Just curious how everyone feels about the lack of iconic starships and vehicles in the beta. On one hand, I feel a beta should include the core elements of a game, and I feel an X-Wing is a core element of Star Wars (as one of many missing examples). On the other hand, I guess X-Wings are more Rebellion-based, and not something for the fringe worlds of Star Wars.

But after cracking the rules open, I'm feeling a bit "off" about this. It seems a bit like they're holding back so people buy the full rules - which I totally can understand. It just doesn't feel like I'm doing much of a "playtest of Star Wars" without fending off TIE Intercepters in my X-Wing, B-Wing or A-Wing. Or taking on an AT-AT attack in my Snowspeeder. (…guess I'll have to fight off an AT-PT attack with my Skipray Blastboat…) Here's to hoping they roll out some stats online as the playtest continues! :)

EotE isn't about flying X-Wings or dealing with Interceptors. This is on the fringe, where you're dealing with Hutts and Bounty Hunters, and the occasional patrol of TIE Fighters.

They didn't try to hide this, so I'm not sure why you thought this would be what Age of Rebellion is clearly going to be.

This is about thieves and smugglers and people in over their heads with crime lords. Its the under side of Star Wars, which is an important part of every one of the movies (Mos Eisely/Han, Cloud City/Lando/Boba Fett, Tatooine/Jabba).

While I certainly wouldn't mind seeing more ships, I don't think the iconic ships, such as the X-wing, Y-wing, Tie's, and the like would fit as well because this game is centered around the fringes of the galaxy and traders, smugglers, pirates, etc. Most of the Rebel and Empire ships will probably show up when the second book comes out.

For now, I'd like to see more general ships that smugglers or the like would use, and not 'military' ships.

I have no doubt that, in time, we'll be out flying the X-wings, taking on swarms of Tie fighters, but this isn't really the setting for it.

Also, as per the fluff, at the point in the fluff, the X-wing hadn't really become a mass produced fighter craft. The rebellion basically stole the batch you saw in Ep.4, and it didn't catch on till a bit later. It really would be unlikely to see one in the setting we're given.

While this is fringe focused, I'd like to see this as an opportunity to give some of the smaller Imperial warships some attention. While you're unlikely to run into an Imperial -class Star Destroyer, the Empire does have a presence out there, so maybe highlight some of their smaller patrol cruisers (like the Nebulon-B, which is thankfully in the game). Perhaps even a Victory -class Star Destroyer if you want to go crazy.

Also, I saw the list of ships in the book, but I forgot if it included the Corellian Corvette. I think those would make more sense than X-Wings and Star Destroyers.

Given we are dealing with the Fringe and smugglers, I certainly hope we see the Imperial Interdictor heavy cruisers statted up.

Yancy

I have no trouble with the selection of starships in the book.

I'll be running a fringe-campaign set on Tatooine, a sort of "The Godfather, Star Wars-style… with Hutts instead of Sicilians". No need for X-Wings or Tie Interceptors.

However, since it's set on Tatooine, just before Episode IV, I hope to see more Imperial ships soon, and also vehicles. You know, they'll be looking for some droids sooner or later. :)

Eirik

Gallandro said:

Given we are dealing with the Fringe and smugglers, I certainly hope we see the Imperial Interdictor heavy cruisers statted up.

An Imperial Customs Corvette is a must, as well. Luckily, I'm sure the conversion gurus around here will be on top of things soon enough. happy.gif