GM George runs a game call New Hope

By Qingtian, in General Discussion

George decided to run a Star War compaign named New Hope after getting a copy of Edge of the Empire, so he asked his friend Harrison to create a character as test.

Harrison look through the options and decided on creating an Imperial Academy dropout turned Smuggler.

Harrison rolls a d100 to see what his character's obligation is, and he gets 44 which is result of Debt. After talking with George, Harrison determined the debt was result of buying his ship on a loan. Harrison wanted to get some more XP for his character so he elect to have +10 Obligation in exchange for 10 XP. This means that in game Harrison's obligation have higher chance to be triggered at each session.

Harrison decided his character's species is human which give him 2 in all characteristics and 110 XP to spend during character creation. Also he got human special ability of have a second specialization in their career for free.

Next choice is the career for the character, Harrison wanted to be a smuggler which give him Coordination, Deceit, perception, pilot (space), Skulduggery, Streetwise, Vigilance, and Knowledge (Underworld) as class skill. Harrison can get 4 free rank in those class skills, and he choose Charm, Pilot (Space), Streetwise and Knowledge (Underworld). Harrison chooses his first specialization as Pilot, which gave him even more class skill. He choose to get another free rank of Pilot (Space) again so he can have maximum skill rank for a beginning character. He also choose a rank of Astrogation, do he know where he is going in space. Harrison choose Scoundrel as his second specialization to get some combat skill as class skill, but he doesn't get any free skill rank.

Next Harrison spent his 120 XP (110 from race and and 10 XP from +10 obligation). He wants to be a good pilot and since you cannot increase characteristics with XP (but you can increase your characteristic by purchase a talent, there is one on each specialization talent tree). He spent 70 XP to increase his agility to 4, increase his Range (Light) to 2 with 15 XP, Gunnery to 1 with 5 XP, Deceit to 1 with 5 XP. For talent, Harrison choose Quick Draw for 5, Full Throttle for 5, First Skilled Jockery on first level for 5, and second Skilled Jockery on second talent tree level that connected to Full Throttle for 10.

Than Harrison flips over to equipment section to spent his 500 credits…

Nice. Interested to see what else you post with regards to representing ANH through EotE's mechanics. :)

I briefly consider to max out by buying 5 Agility with 120 XP, I think it is a sound investment on paper. As out of the gate, this character could have 7 dice pool on Pilot (Space), and will able to get Range (Light) rank 1 after one game session.

Oooh! Do Leia next!

Or maybe Luke. But preferably Leia!

And, when Harrison went to shopping for his character, he found he barely have any credit for anything. So he just bought a Blaster Pistol for 500 credits, and get it done.

George's next player is Peter, and his concept is a wookie.

Peter first roll his Obligation and get 51, which is Dutybound. Peter decided that his character was Dutybound to Harrison's character because Harrison rescued Peter's character from the Empire. Peter decided to to take +5 Obligation to get additional 1000 start credit, so he can buy a bow caster for his wookie later.

Peter's race, Wookie, give character gives him 90 exp, starting with one rank of Brawl. Brawn starts at 3, and Willpower started at one with rest of characteristic at 2.

For Class, Peter choose the Hired Gun which let him choose to get one rank of Athletics, Resilience, Brawl, and Melee. For specialty, Peter choose Bodyguard which allow him to choose Gunnery, and Ranged (Heavy).

Next, Peter start to spend his exp, and he spend 40 exp to increase his Brawn to 4. 5 Exp to get Barrage at first level of talent tree, 5 XP to get Durable, 10 xp to get Barrage again on second level of talent tree. 10 xp to get get Mechnical Talent tree, but he wouldn't dig into that until he start to play the game, and finally 20 xp to get his Willpower to 2.

For spending the money, Peter just spend his entire 1500 credit to get a Bowcaster which get +2 damage from his Barrage skill at medium and long range.

I think (at work so can't double check) you made one small error with Harrison. When you take +10 obligation you get +10 exp AND +2500 starting credits. If I am wrong I humbly apologize.

throneguardian said:

I think (at work so can't double check) you made one small error with Harrison. When you take +10 obligation you get +10 exp AND +2500 starting credits. If I am wrong I humbly apologize.

AFB, but there's a sentence in the section about taking extra Obligation that says you get one or the other, not both.

I remember this because when I first glanced at the chart, i thought the exact same thing and that the extra Obligation points gave you both extra XP and credits.