Obligation and Motivation Feedback Thread

By FFG_Sam Stewart, in Game Mechanics

Cyril said:

Nirth''erev said:

Donovan Morningfire said:

Nirth''erev said:

I have to say, this would go a long way towards easing the strain on the whole group. As it stands, my character (30 Obligation) has been hit every single time for very negative strain, and is also causing the party to consider ditching him on the next dustball we land on, except if they do that they might be on the chopping block next.. The rest of the group has between 20 and 25 Obligation. His is that high because i really wanted to work with the modification system (which have made my character extremely effective in combat), but now it's a liability because every time something comes crashing down on him due to his Obligation, its in a magnitude that manages to piss off the party, often to the point where he is hindered by the party in fulfilling his Obligation. It just seems like the player with the highest obligation becomes the whipping boy so the rest of the party never has to suffer.

Well, to be blunt, you made the choice to put your own head on the chopping block by taking on so much extra Obligation at the start, so it's very much a case of "reap what you sow." Nothing in the game forced you to take on that much Obligation, it was first and foremost your decision to become the "whipping boy" as it were, a trade off for being able to afford those neat toys and be extra-effective at your chosen role within the group.

As Rikoshi noted, Obligation is an element to drive the story, and it was never intended to be a "good thing." Nothing except a player's own greed, be it for more starting XP or more starting credits is forcing them to add extra Obligation. If you've played an RPG with a "merits & flaws" system (HERO, 1st & 2nd Edition Mutants & Masterminds, Savage Worlds), then the extra Obligation points are the "flaws" you have to accept in order to purchase the "merits" in the form of more build points or more money.

To be frank, Ruken's method pretty much removes the teeth from Obligation, particularly for larger groups, as the totals will be so low that a PCs' Obligation is quite likely to never come up, which pretty much boils down to "might as well just give the PCs the extra XP and/or money and not bother with the Obligation increases."

Also, the GM should be offering chances to reduce that Obligation in some form or another, dependent upon what that Obligation is. if you have a Debt or Favor Obligation, then if it comes up, the GM should offer you a means to lower that Obligation by at least 5 points. If you haven an Addiction Obligation, perhaps an element of the story should reflect your PC's road to overcoming that Addiction, again reducing it by a few points. Maybe you managed to track down your missing cousin and ensure their safety, thus reducing your Family Obligation by a few points.

if you're really that upset with one PC's Obligation affecting the rest of the group (even if you're the one causing said issues by willingly taking a huge boost to your starting Obligation), then the GM can simply house-rule that the Strain penalty suffered by 1, so that the other PCs suffer no penalty to their Strain Threshold unless the roll comes up doubles. This way, the teeth of a PC's Obligation are are still sharp, but the rest of the group doesn't inherently suffer for it.

I think the main problem then is simply not being able to lower the obligation of my character. I admit, when i wrote that post, we were fresh from a session and i was still fuming. i had spent the entire session in a jail cell through events i had no control over (story event, not obligation related), so you can see how this would sit with a combat character. You are right, it really is my fault for taking that much obligation. However when our obligation hasn't changed in four sessions, i think we need to sit down as a group and work on what's wrong with our storytelling technique. We'll try again, maybe this time i'll be able to lower the number. fingers crossed!

To be fair, this sounds like a failing on your GMs part and not the Obligation system.

Now, I don't know the whole story, but speaking as a GM, I would never force a character to the sidelines for an entire session because of a choice they made during creation. That sounds like GM asshattery of the highest order. That's not what the Obligation mechanic is supposed to represent or do. Sitting in a jail cell for an entire game session unable to do anything isn't character growth nor is it worthy of a story unless something came out of it (which it doesn't sound like it did).

Honestly dude, I'd grab your GM one on one and have a conversation with him. Talk to him about your concerns and see if you can't figure something out, but I can say with a good deal of confidence that this isn't a failing on the part of the system or the Obligation mechanics, or even your decision to give yourself this Obligation at creation. This screams of the GM not quite grasping how to use the Obligation and possibly getting frustrated himself.

Yeah, turns out the whole reason was to have my guy interrogated by the Empire's Inquisition and to awaken his Force sensitivity. So now he gets Force stuff.

Anyway, I was rolling the percentile dice against everyone's score and saw that it was triggering me a greater percent of the time. Once my Obligation went down to the same number as someone else, the two of us triggered more than everyone else. So I withdraw my complaint of the system.

lupex said:

One thing that i feel needs to be addressed is the lack of obligation that comes from the players being given a ship at the start of the campaign.

I would suggest that when assigning obligation that the party is counted as having one extra player, so a party of 4 counts as a party of 5 etc, and then the extra obligation (for this extra player) is assigned to the group for being given a ship, and this would be set as something appropirate such as Criminal, Debt, Favour etc

This would mean that each players obligation is slightly lower, the party obligation is the same and having a ship becomes a big part of the obligation narrative options for the GM.

What do you think?

Actually, I think the base level of obligation (shown in the chart) is the obligation which covers the ship they're given at the start of the campaign. Especially since I don't think you get bonus XP or credits for those points. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Just wanted to pipe in before feedback was closed about Obligation. I think that obligation should be changed slightly from being such a detrimental thing. I don't know why having a family makes you a huge crime villain, or keeps lawful organizations from dealing with you. Perhaps there should be some clarification about obligations, such as some being a criminal debt, because I see future books adding more obligations such as Jedi Order (or other monastic/force using orders), Basically the chart on page 191 automatically assumes high obligation is bad, but this should just be example of say having Obligation of Criminal Favours. Rather than, as I mentioned, having a family (not necessarily a crime family).

It's a small thing, but a slight change and clarification opens up many more possibilities.

I've been meaning to post this for a while, but unfortunately school's conspired to make it difficult. It's the system that I've been using since week two, and it's worked quite well.

Problem: The current obligation system, while great in concept, sucks in execution for the following reasons:

1:Scaling functions poorly in larger parties, and limits the mechanic's overall impact.

2: Increased Obligation leads to increased screen time, leading to the "drama mama" effect, which is detrimental, at least in my opinion, to the overall role-play experience.

3: The source and effects of obligation aren't clearly defined, leading to some confusion among players.

4: Using obligation as a form of reputation simply doesn't work logically.

Proposed solutions:

1: Obligation now runs from 1- 100 for characters, independent of other characters. Obligation is now begins at 30, and an additional 15 is added per tier of additional exp or starting cashing, providing a total range of 30-90 for starting characters.

Obligation ratings are now broken down into tiers:

1-30: Minor

31-60: Moderate

61-90: major

91+: Extreme.

To determine if a character's obligation is selected at the beginning of each game, simply role a percentile. Any character that has an obligation score equal to or exceeding the die roll can be selected for an obligation event. Randomize via a die roll, with an equal chance for each character. If a 1 or any doubles are rolled, the obligation event affects the entire party that is eligible for an obligation event. Obligation events still trigger lowered strain thresholds.

A character with an obligation of over a hundred is prevented from spending xp until it's lowered.

An alternative to this would be to simply average the party's rating and then randomize with an equal chance if an obligation event is generated.

The severity of the obligation event is indicated via the obligation tier, meaning that characters with lower obligation scores will suffer less severely.

In play a character's obligation can raise or lower depending upon the events of the game. The characters can receive goods or services equal to 500 credits by increasing their score by one, subject to the availability rules and price modifiers. Particularly extreme or immediate needs may double the cost, as per GM discretion. Similarly, characters can lower their obligation by donating goods or services, at a rate of 2000 per point, depending upon the relative need of the items in question.

Additionally, the GM may offer certain favors for an increase in obligation. (I.E., release from prison, star ship repairs, medical services, etc, at whatever cost he feels is appropriate.)

Obligation sources: Due to the rather nebulous nature of the sources of obligations, we've codified them into criminal organizations, political organizations, corporate organizations, or individual patrons. This selection affects the sorts of goods and services that a character can receive or turn in, as well as the sorts of obligation events that are triggered.

Reputation is now largely a function of GM Fiat with, with total earned exp playing a role. I've considered actually systematizing it, but it hasn't been necessary thus far.

That's about it. I'm sorry if it's not in the most easily digestible format, I was typing fairly quickly. If nothing else, the general concepts should be readily apparent. The above system is definitely a lot more interesting the the RAW, and I'd highly recommend giving it a shot.

That Blasted Samophlange said:

Just wanted to pipe in before feedback was closed about Obligation. I think that obligation should be changed slightly from being such a detrimental thing. I don't know why having a family makes you a huge crime villain, or keeps lawful organizations from dealing with you. Perhaps there should be some clarification about obligations, such as some being a criminal debt, because I see future books adding more obligations such as Jedi Order (or other monastic/force using orders), Basically the chart on page 191 automatically assumes high obligation is bad, but this should just be example of say having Obligation of Criminal Favours. Rather than, as I mentioned, having a family (not necessarily a crime family).

It's a small thing, but a slight change and clarification opens up many more possibilities.

I don't think it's that having a family makes you a villain, it's just that *nice* people are less likely to want to put someone with a family into the sorts of positions where obligation might increase. Take, for example, a US Marine who has a wife and 3 kids, but his wife gets hit by a car and killed. He's now significantly less likely to be deployed into a combat zone because doing so would potentially leave his kids with no family. Correspondingly, Senator Organa is less likely to want to send you out on missions if he knows your family may be exposed to danger as a result. On the other hand, criminal folks might use your family as *leverage* to get you to do something. Remember a receiving a favor from a crime lord is very likely to be equivalent to doing a favor *for* that crime lord.

Basically, obligations ('good' or 'bad') are things which interfere with your ability to just do whatever you please.

Voice said:

I don't think it's that having a family makes you a villain, it's just that *nice* people are less likely to want to put someone with a family into the sorts of positions where obligation might increase. Take, for example, a US Marine who has a wife and 3 kids, but his wife gets hit by a car and killed. He's now significantly less likely to be deployed into a combat zone because doing so would potentially leave his kids with no family. Correspondingly, Senator Organa is less likely to want to send you out on missions if he knows your family may be exposed to danger as a result. On the other hand, criminal folks might use your family as *leverage* to get you to do something. Remember a receiving a favor from a crime lord is very likely to be equivalent to doing a favor *for* that crime lord.

Basically, obligations ('good' or 'bad') are things which interfere with your ability to just do whatever you please.

In your example case of a marine, if any of his children's grandparents are alive, he's just as likely to be deployed as before… but may be offered a "compassionate discharge" as an option… but that also means not making retirement, losing the reenlistment bonus, and other such issues.

aramis said:

Voice said:

Small problem with your logic… in the US, at least, having a family has very little bearing upon deployment… unless the family is just you and the kids, or all the parents and grandparents are active military. Militaries have been notorious throughout history for ripping families apart to deploy the male parent, and now, have done so with female parents, too. I know one such family… well, I know the kids, because their caretaker is in the same parish I am, and she's got them for several months while both mom and dad are deployed (dad's due back in a few months, and mom has been gone a few months on a year-long deployment). Imperial Russia (1700-1919) was also noted for ripping families apart.

In your example case of a marine, if any of his children's grandparents are alive, he's just as likely to be deployed as before… but may be offered a "compassionate discharge" as an option… but that also means not making retirement, losing the reenlistment bonus, and other such issues.

You'll notice I didn't mention any grandparents available to watch over the kids. I also didn't mention any aunts, uncles, etc. And I also didn't say it was an absolute. (But neither is the way high obligation makes the 'good guys' more reluctant to deal with you.) Also, your own example of a 'compassionate discharge' is another example of an 'out' that is offered to the person with the higher 'obligation score', even in real life. The fact that the 'out' kills your retirement, and other bonuses and the like is also an indication that obligation is, as I said, something that interferes with your ability to just do whatever you please.

Of course, there are scenarios where an obligation shouldn't factor in negatively. For example, if a character has a Duty obligation to the organization in question, say the enlisted marine. That shouldn't negatively influence his ability to interact with the Marines, but it certainly can (for a wide variety of reasons) make his life more difficult in other ways.

It seems to me that at the end of the day, obligation is merely a tool for the GM to reinforce the notion of the "seedy scumbaggery" of the party and where and who they are. First and foremost a GM's job is to make sure everyone is having fun and a good story is being unfolded throughout the session. If you have a GM that so coldly enforces things to the letter that someone, or the entire group isn't having fun, then you need a new GM. Just sayin..

But let's look at page 32 under obligation, because I think a key paragraph is being lost:

"Ultimatly, even though the mechanical effects always come into play, it's up to the GM as to how this affects the characters narratively. One thing the GM should not feel obligated to do, however, is disrupt his own narrative or story in order to represent a triggered obligation. Remember, the effects of a triggered obligation can always be mental."

Obligation doesn't have to be some gamebreaking, harsh caning of the players, EVERY single session. There are many ways to use obligation as a DM that reminds the players of the "Obligation" without making things painful for them. Another quote from page 32:

"For example, a local politician may not be willing to meet with a group whose Obligation is more than 60, but a local crimelord may not trust a group whose Obligation is less than 50."

Obligation is also something a good GM can wrap a story around creating a campaign. If you know your players obligations, or even if you just use the prefab choices and plug in the appropriate names and characters when running the game, you can have a great story arc that almost makes itself. I don't understand all of this handwringing over obligation. The game system gives the GM the "what", but ultimately it's up to the GM do decide the "how & why". It seems like such a vague and useful tool for the GM, it's not something hard and fast like damage mitigation or something. Am I missing something here?

djext1 said:

It seems to me that at the end of the day, obligation is merely a tool for the GM to reinforce the notion of the "seedy scumbaggery" of the party and where and who they are. First and foremost a GM's job is to make sure everyone is having fun and a good story is being unfolded throughout the session. If you have a GM that so coldly enforces things to the letter that someone, or the entire group isn't having fun, then you need a new GM. Just sayin..

But let's look at page 32 under obligation, because I think a key paragraph is being lost:

"Ultimatly, even though the mechanical effects always come into play, it's up to the GM as to how this affects the characters narratively. One thing the GM should not feel obligated to do, however, is disrupt his own narrative or story in order to represent a triggered obligation. Remember, the effects of a triggered obligation can always be mental."

Obligation doesn't have to be some gamebreaking, harsh caning of the players, EVERY single session. There are many ways to use obligation as a DM that reminds the players of the "Obligation" without making things painful for them. Another quote from page 32:

"For example, a local politician may not be willing to meet with a group whose Obligation is more than 60, but a local crimelord may not trust a group whose Obligation is less than 50."

Obligation is also something a good GM can wrap a story around creating a campaign. If you know your players obligations, or even if you just use the prefab choices and plug in the appropriate names and characters when running the game, you can have a great story arc that almost makes itself. I don't understand all of this handwringing over obligation. The game system gives the GM the "what", but ultimately it's up to the GM do decide the "how & why". It seems like such a vague and useful tool for the GM, it's not something hard and fast like damage mitigation or something. Am I missing something here?

I agree with this guy.

I came on here today to find out how you're supposed to grant obligation and take it away as part of quests/quest rewards, and haven't found a solid answer, but I have realized a few things by reading through this thread.

1) This game is made to be narrative at it's core, but everyone is looking at it as though it weren't, specifically with Obligations. Obligation (I believe) is a system set in place so that the narrative can carry on in a natural way, just like the stories do in the movies and games. I see many posts on how obligation is too much, or that it's bad, but that's the intention. Someone mentioned earlier that crises drive a story, and that's what obligation is meant to be: a problem (or opportunity) that can turn into a crisis. For example, Luke's starting obligation in Ep. IV could have started as relationship (Aunt and Uncle). As time went on, his obligations changed (they die, he wants revenge, wants to be Jedi, etc). In game, this would be represented by Luke taking on more obligation (and mass exp) over time. His obligations, and fulfilling them, made him stronger. Not fulfilling them (leaving his training early) caused some negative consequences.

2) It sounds like a lot of the problems are stemming from GM/DM/Players who are used to very strictly enforced rulesets and settings, and they're having trouble adjusting to a more freeform game. This may or may not be true, as I'm just an observer. I think much of this can be fixed by taking things a bit more slowly, and not focusing so much on the preconceived stories or backstories. Instead, I would suggest allowing discussion of the events (past or active) to unfold at the table, with the GM and players discussing what some great options for the story or scene would be. I'd also suggest letting players know that just as the world in real life is constantly changing, so is their Star Wars game. Depending on exactly when you're playing, Han could still be hanging out with Lando, and Alderaan is just chilling peacefully, and then, out of nowhere, Alderaan goes up in smoke or you run into to Millenium Falcon. Random thins can and will happen, especially with a half decent DM and this style of game; be prepared to have your character's plans change.

Also, I'm typing this from my phone, so I apologize if it's a bit disjointed.

Rikoshi said:

Ruskendrul said:

Noone of the players liked it, everyone even tought it was just a massive hindrance to roleplay and I (GM) totally agree.

Obligation in its current form is nothing but a boat-ancor for your imerrsion of the gameing experience. I have read alot of posts on the forum singing its praise but I can not see any positive aspect of the current Obligationsystem as it is now.

Your main complaint about Obligation is that it seems like a negative thing for the characters…and it is. That's what it's supposed to be.

Obligation, by definition, is something that the characters have to do, as opposed to what they want to do. That's what the mechanic is made to represent: these things that the characters have lurking in their backgrounds that they know they need to take care of, but might not otherwise want to or be ready to or be in a position to.

Personally, I think it's a great way to ensure that players put some thought into their characters' backstory. It's also a great hook for the GM. That smuggler who's being blackmailed hasn't been fulfilling his Obligation to pay off the person asking for the blackmail? Well, now he's got bounty hunters after him. Or maybe the mechanic with an obligation to his family finds out that his sister is being investigated by the Empire, but going to check up on it would mean missing out on a really big score with a job for the Hutts.

The tradeoff, then, for players willingly making their lives suck more, in this fashion, is that they get bonus XP and money to make their characters better. That's the positive side of the mechanic in play.

You're not even thinking of all the wonderful ways that you can play with Obligation. It's a credit card for the PCs- one that they know will eventually bite you in the ass later on. Any time the player says "I can't deal with this right now!" there the GM is, with obligation, like the dark side, trying to seduce.

Can't afford that massive bribe? Go see the Hutts. They'll loan it to you. Welcome to a 10 point obligation. But that's yawn-worthy.

We need to jury-rig this poor ship RIGHT NOW so we can GTFO. I don't have time (or money) to sink into her, so let's just hope that primary buffer panel doesn't fall off the gorramn ship. I'll take a 5 point obligation to the ship to keep her in the air. Now that's getting a little better.

We need to get inside the Hospital, so I'm going to try to charm/seduce the guard over here. Only I fail. A lot. But the GM will let me succeed anyway if I really push things and use him/her. Jilted lover as a 2 point obligation. Now we're talking! Especially if we can only buy off an obligation completely by directly dealing with it.

Don't think of Obligation as something to be avoided, think of it as an extremely high-interest credit card that leads to a lot of fun sessions. And dangle how easy it is to put things on the Never Never plan in front of your group *constantly*.

Also, for adding people into the group (that's people, not characters), I was thinking about it. I'd probably give a 3-5 point "refund" to the players, as their problems get shuffled into a bigger pile, but at the same time I *totally* don't mind the idea of, in character, the party saying "dude, can we *really* afford to bring on another person and their baggage?". When a PC dies/leaves/drops out, their obligations should go, opening up the party's obligations again.

The introductory adventure alone, if successful, knocks 15 points off of obligations right off the top. That's a *lot*. Even divided 4 ways, that's a significant reduction. If it takes an adventure or two to get the PCs under 100 points, that's a fine mini-adventure.

Instead of thinking of ways to nerf obligation, first try to think of ways it can enhance the game. Let's face it, we don't play the game to see everything go according to plan, we play the game to see how everything goes to hell and then gets salvaged along the way.

I have mixed feelings about the whole Obligation mechanic.

I support the attempt at driving the story, but I doubt it has to be quantified so explicitly. The "jilted lover" example by Rikoshi is nice, but it's not something I want written on my character sheet. Stuff like that belongs in the GM's notes instead.

Many other RPGs have "disadvantages" that you can take on in return for "moar XPs". However, those are usually clearly defined with actual consequences. All the EotE book offers is a tiny table listing vaguaries such as "Betrayal" (who betrayed who here?), "Blackmail" (what happens if I don't pay?) or "Dutybound" (what happens if I say "screw it"?) without so much as a sentence of clarification.

As both a player and a character, I really don't want to deal with anything so intangible as Obligation Magnitude during the course of roleplaying either. If I owe someone money, I just want to know how much I owe them. I understand that owing a favor is not as quantifiable, but isn't that the whole point? How do you roleplay a negotiation involving Obligation points anyway? I imagine the following nightmare scenario:

NPC: "Just so you understand, if I do this for you, you'll owe me a big favor."
Players: "How much Obligation is that?"
GM: "10 points."
PCs: "No way, a big favor is too much. We'll do it for a medium-sized favor instead."
Players: "(5 points.)"
NPC: "Well, how about a medium-sized favor plus a relatively small favor?"
GM: "(8 points.)"
PCs: "Deal!"

Moreover, one of our players took offense at the idea that his character had to have an obligation at all. He used himself as the example of someone without obligation; no family depending on him, no outstanding debts, nothing. If a spaceship were to pick him up tomorrow, there would be nothing he would have to come back for.

I myself didn't really get the problem with taking on max Obligation. Sure, my character will get harassed twice as often as other party members, but that's still only one in 5 sessions on average, and on the flipside I get "teh XPs" and I'll be less likely to sit on the sidelines while some other player gets to engage in his character's story. I'm here to roleplay and my own character's backstory is more interesting to me than that of the others. I don't think the system should encourage such egocentric behavior, though.

Our group was also not impressed with the "your Strain Threshold is reduced by 1 for this session" mechanic. Strain is so easy to recover that they just don't care about that at all.

The final, and perhaps biggest problem is with Motivation. About half the instances of Obligation listed both in the book and in this thread could be argued to be Motivations instead. Some examples:

The book, page 31 sidebar said:

Pash owes his old mentor for setting him up as a smuggler

Mentor is a Motivation [Relationship]. Moreover, in many RPGs, having a mentor is considered an advantage that you actually have to pay points for. Which is better? Obligation: Redneck Aunt and Uncle making you do all kinds of chores, or Obligation: Jedi Master mentoring you in the secrets of the Force? Well played, Luke Skywalker!

starkanine said:

For example, Luke's starting obligation in Ep. IV could have started as relationship (Aunt and Uncle).

(Foster) parents are a Motivation [Relationship].

starkanine said:

As time went on, his obligations changed (they die, he wants revenge, wants to be Jedi, etc).

Revenge sounds like a Motivation to me ("driven by a specific goal".) Wanting to be a Jedi is definitely a Motivation [Ambition].

TheFlatline said:

We need to jury-rig this poor ship RIGHT NOW so we can GTFO. I don't have time (or money) to sink into her, so let's just hope that primary buffer panel doesn't fall off the gorramn ship. I'll take a 5 point obligation to the ship to keep her in the air.

How do you even take an obligation to a ship? "Please-oh-please, ship, if you miraculously repair your hyperdrive and get us out of here, we promise to wax and polish you twice a week!"?

The vagaries allow for player choices, tho' I agree some better examples could be very useful.

For example, I put the question to the player who rolled betrayal - did you betray an employer, or do you owe a debt that will result in you betraying the party? He chose the latter. Now, he's got a moral quandry since the party is on to him. (All the players knew. Their characters just figured it out, however, and that group is great about separating player vs character knowledge.) So, whom does he betray, how… his family, held hostage, his motivation (the crew) or both?

Vague advantages and disadvantages are normal old school and indy… Obligation is a very "indyish" mechanic.