Rule Question: Order of play in the start of turn phase

By Spieler715865, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hi,

I have a question: can I change the form of government and then build a new city? The order in the rule book implied, that the order is first, build the city and then change the form of government.

The reason why I ask is, that in one of the last played games we have the situation, that one player wants to found a city with his army figure, but before he can do that, he has to change his form of government into Republic (researched in the round before).

Evil Ewok said:

F orm of government into Republic (researched in the round before).

Researched or changed in this turn after anarchy?

It doesn't make any difference, if he changes his form of government from anarchy or any other form, or have I forgot something important in the rules? He can changes his form of government regular and the question is whether he can changes the form of government before he founds the city or not.

Well, I don't think it's an official rule but the way that the Turn order overview on page 12 of the base game rulebook is written one could surmise that the designers intention would lead to a no.

The order, as written there, is:
1 - Start of turn effects (such as Hanging Gardens granting a figure of your choice for free).
2 - Founding cities.
3 - Changing government.
Bear in mind that there are no numbers in the part of the rulebook I found it in so I don't think it's an official rule, like I said.

I am new to this game, but I believe you could do these actions in any order you wish.

Just by the wording in the start turn that the player may perform "any start of turn actions".

and as Fnoffen pointed out no numbering to point out they have to be done in order.

by RAW I would say that is a benefit of that Government.

Actually the wording "any start of turn actions" could also be interpreted as "now is the time to do start of turn actions if the player has any such actions to do".

It has been uFaqed that you can change kind of gov and then build a city. There isn't specific order during all phases, like in CM you can take action in the order you want. The point is with republic. You research code of laws, change you gov to republic and then build a city with an army. It's played a lot to be able to build a city at the start of the 2nd turn.