First impressions from a one shot

By cparadis10, in General Discussion

One of the issues there always is for that, is that there are hundreds of blaster brands. For example, these are the ones named on the Star Wars Wiki:

¦A43 Hushabye blaster
¦Bryar pistol
¦Coruscant Security Force issue blaster
¦Coruscant Security Force droid blaster
¦DC-15S blaster
¦DC-15s side arm blaster
¦DC-17 hand blaster
¦DD6 blaster pistol
¦DE-10 blaster pistol
¦DH-17 blaster pistol
¦DH-23 blaster pistol
¦DL-18 blaster pistol
¦DL-21 blaster pistol
¦DL-22 blaster pistol
¦DL-44 heavy blaster pistol
¦DT-12 heavy blaster pistol
¦Dual-trigger blaster pistol
¦ELG-3A blaster pistol
¦IR-5 blaster pistol
¦L-23 blaster pistol
¦LL-30 blaster pistol
¦KYD-21 blaster pistol
¦Model 22T4 hold-out blaster pistol
¦Model 434 blaster pistol
¦Model 44 blaster pistol
¦Model Q2 hold-out blaster pistol
¦S-5 heavy blaster pistol
¦SBP-200 blaster pistol
¦Scout trooper blaster pistol
¦SE-14 blaster pistol
¦SE-14C blaster pistol
¦SSK-7 heavy blaster pistol
¦WESTAR-34 blaster pistol
¦WESTAR-35 blaster pistol

Which would reqire 35+ different sets of special rules. Personaly, I'd totaly write down the specific make and model of my blaster pistol because it's cooler to pull out your DH-17 then your Pistol, but statisticly, it's not going to make a difference.

I, too, would love to see some sample characters (either in the book or on a site). These examples, as well guidelines on how the PCs are formed, would be helpful in getting the 'big picture' on PC creation. I'd also like to see some examples (or maybe even a Youtube video) on PC creation - showing a few players working up their PCs, choosing their talents, spending XP, etc.

In the old WEG equipment supplements (Galladinium's and Gundark's Fantastic Technology, I think? Softbound blue cover), yes, they gave a nauseating amount of blaster options , that had very small stat tweaks (+1 to quick draw or +2 damage) from what was presented in the core rule book as a "base model".

The presented rules for Edge of the Empire has absolutely no need for that. Not because its "short on flavor", but because it has already implemented an EXTREMELY robust mod system. You don't need to be explicitly told a Merr-Sonn X23 personal defender is well crafted, low profile, blahblahblahyoudontacutallycarewhatthefluffsays stat block: +1 quick draw. If you WANT a blaster with that kind of fluff AND the stat boosts to go with it, just build the thing. If the exact mod isn't in there, make on up and balance it with expense and required hard points. Given the variety of mods in there (and their additional mod options) theres very VERY little that has been published elsewhere that can't already be made, and the stuff that's lacking can be synthesized pretty easily. Then give it a pretty name and BAM! You've got your BlasTech DL-22, or SoroSuub Renegade.

I completely agree with the desire to have named weapons, not just generic ones. I'm hoping for a future equipment supplement that expands on the number of attachments and has factory crafted weapons with attachments already installed. I talk of this more in this thread .

LethalDose said:

In the old WEG equipment supplements (Galladinium's and Gundark's Fantastic Technology, I think? Softbound blue cover), yes, they gave a nauseating amount of blaster options , that had very small stat tweaks (+1 to quick draw or +2 damage) from what was presented in the core rule book as a "base model".

The presented rules for Edge of the Empire has absolutely no need for that. Not because its "short on flavor", but because it has already implemented an EXTREMELY robust mod system. You don't need to be explicitly told a Merr-Sonn X23 personal defender is well crafted, low profile, blahblahblahyoudontacutallycarewhatthefluffsays stat block: +1 quick draw. If you WANT a blaster with that kind of fluff AND the stat boosts to go with it, just build the thing. If the exact mod isn't in there, make on up and balance it with expense and required hard points. Given the variety of mods in there (and their additional mod options) theres very VERY little that has been published elsewhere that can't already be made, and the stuff that's lacking can be synthesized pretty easily. Then give it a pretty name and BAM! You've got your BlasTech DL-22, or SoroSuub Renegade.