Imperial Navy- My take

By BarcelonaBlom, in Dark Heresy House Rules

Okay I'm only making this because a player in a game wants to play an Imperial Navy Pilot, and then I got to thinking about the IN in general and decided to run with it. Obviously this is my take but I'm open to opinions, i have a lot to put into work so this is currently a work in progress... what gets me most is the lack of vehicle related talents and such. I guess I'd have to devise an aerial combat system in case someone wants to run a game of that nature or maybe the acolytes happen to get entangled into one (in some strange coincidence). Pilots would have lots of talents related to their air/space-craft but there aren't really any that are of use to them. Of course how an acolyte can progress in the IN and stay an acolyte I have no clue but then again I don't think its supposed to make full sense. Its assumed a regular IN sailor will probably make his way from the dregs of the ratings and become something more. Officers are a bit along the noble birth.

But this is what i have so far... pulling what I know from BFG, some of the IN related stories out there, and Double Eagle. Please be nice. Of course the pictures used are captioned with who they belong to.

Everything will be tweaked and changed. And like I said, constructive criticism is always welcome!

dexies.wikispaces.com/The+Imperial+Navy

Eh... dang no editing ability!

I meant officers/pilots are usually among a wealthy, militarily or politically connected family or so. Or in some way managed a connection into a Naval Academy.

Well, your only "Staring" for the pilot is

Starting Skills:
Speak Language (Low Gothic) (Int)
Pilot (Civilan Craft) (Ag)
Navigate (Surface) (Int)

Starting Talents:
Pistol Training (Las) or Pistol Training (SP)

Your pilot is a military class pilot, right? You should at least add "Pilot (Military Craft)". If he is supposed to be able to fly space combat with fighters, fighter/bombers and/or cutters, you should add "Pilot (Space Craft)". This could be an "one-or-the-other" option, but since your complete packages comes with only 5 entrys and most entry come with about 7, I would advise to simply add them to the mix.

In addition, you should think about how this guy firing the board weapons.

I would look at adding a split in the advancement tree for the last 3 levels.

Pilots don't always fly their whole career. They become officers in the command structure.

I would say an officer track would be a required addition to the chart and possibly some sort of tactician track. Double Eagle has an example of what I was thinking of for the pilot turned combat tactician air controller.

Hmmm.. that was something I was considering doing. The 2nd rank was supposed to include pilot military craft and spacecraft, kind of forcing them to take it as their "flight school" ability but yes, they should have that to begin with considering they are all ready graduated from the moment the 1st game starts.

As for the split: I could, but starting at Squadron Commander you would probably see a more command/tactical shift. Ace would be kind of a combination and Wing Commander would be the ultimate. Its something worth taking into advisement though.

My suggestion would be a progression as follows:

Cadet

Pilot

Flight Officer

Flight Leader

Ace

-----Advanced Pilot Path-----

Squadron Leader

Group Commander

Wing Commander

-----Fleet Path-----

Lieutenant

Lieutenant Commander

Commander

For larger vessels than single seater Thunderbolt or Lightning style interceptors, perhaps the Marauder bomber, for example, might there need to be some kind of subsidiary career development early on as well? Something along the lines of:

Cadet

Comms Officer - Gunnery Officer - Co-pilot

Pilot

Another alternative is that this second strand is incorporated into the Pilot career level, but that the skills in one or two of these areas need to be purchased first before the Pilot gets their 'full eagle.'

I like what you have started and god knows I'm all for addtional careers options.

Just a couple of suggestions from my point of view.

Firstly would it make sense to reduce the Fellowship advance cost to 250/500/750/1000? It would a give a player more options.

I agree with Redmike. If you look at the existing Careers the rank that is named the same as the Career path depends on the level of training. It's five for an Assassin or Arbite but only 2 for a Guardsmen. I would put at least another rank between Cadet and Pilot.

In the RAF for instance a Trainee goes through Aircraftman, Corporal and Sergent before reaching the Rank of Pilot Officer when them would get there wings (altough to add confusion a Pilot officer rank doesn't necessarily have to be fly planes).

So I would add another rank. Thats not to say they wouldn't be able to fly at this stage but they might not be given combat operations untill they have Pliot (military craft) + 10 and it's probably at that rank that they get full combat training and the Heavy weapons (SP, LAS, Launcher) skills.

Yeah this is the part where you kinda "fudge" things. I mean unless they are really special what kind of worthiness is a Imperial Guardsman or Arbitrator or even a Adept when they have only just begun becoming experienced in their profession? Of course they can meet their patron in game while actually being new but In IMO they are really supposed to have some level of experience in their career, just pure background really. Right now I just turn an eye to it. My players are free to write their history how they want, but will still progress in their career as normal.

I've been busy doing this and that, but I plan on getting at least pilot done soon for one of my players. Thanks again.

I don't know. It strikes me that most of the Imperium functions on a dandelion theory. If you have that much human resource, then just throw whomever happens to be available into whatever career is needed and whomever passes, passes. (This is also called the Mongol Hordes Theory of human resources, and while it's been shown to be wrong time and time again, categorically and unimpeachably, businesses still often operate under it.) "Experience" would end up being a rare commodity, and while Inquisitors might prefer to higher from the experienced pool I would imagine the various Ordos and agencies they "hire" from have ways of preserving their successful members.

I get that... but grabbing any Joe off the street can/cannot have good/bad consequences. They aim for those who have something that will aid them in their work. I would assume that if they wanted muscle or cannonfodder they can hire Joe Imperial... but he won't be good for much. Just like any RPG the characters are usually a cut above their peers.