Alignment At Creation -Dont Understand

By WizardThatDidIt, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Not sure, but was there some errata that allows this or did I miss something?

I have seen numerous people mention that it is possible to become aligned right at creation.

#1 I know you can easily choose Motivation/Disgrace combination to have 10 corruption by the end of character creation. HOWEVER…..

#2 As a human you have 1000xp to spend, and you begin as unaligned (considered Allied with all gods, so you pay allied costs). BUT……the CHEAPEST advanced you can buy is a "Known" Skill Advance, which for allied skills is 200xp

#3 This means you would have to buy 5 skill advances (known) aligned to 1 god. (5 x 200 =1000xp)

#4 How is this possible? According to p. 78 the affiliations are

Athletics : Khorne

Command : Khorne

Parry : Khorne

----------------------------

Acrobatics : Slaanesh

Charm : Slaanesh

Deceive : Slaanesh

Dodge : Slaanesh

------------------------------

Forbidden Lore : Tzeentch

Logic : Tzeentch

Psynscience : Tzeentch

Scrutiny : Tzeentch

-------------------------------

Intimidate : Nurgle

Medicae : Nurgle

Survival : Nurgle

RE: #4, Forbidden Lore is numerous skills. You could purchase five different Forbidden Lore skills at character creation.

Note that upcoming products will be giving us characters already aligned. For example, the Thousand Sons Sorcerer begins the game aligned to Tzeentch (and may be unable to change that later too) and all purchases - presumably even those with the starting xp - would be spent with that in mind.

HappyDaze said:

RE: #4, Forbidden Lore is numerous skills. You could purchase five different Forbidden Lore skills at character creation.

Note that upcoming products will be giving us characters already aligned. For example, the Thousand Sons Sorcerer begins the game aligned to Tzeentch (and may be unable to change that later too) and all purchases - presumably even those with the starting xp - would be spent with that in mind.

Aaaaaaah…..nobody ever said Tzeentch, just making "careful" choices one could become aligned as if it were with any of them.

The actual question should be: Is alignment checked at character creation?

if it is not, then it's no use of getting 5 skills at the beginning.

It's not checked at creation, but with right choices in prides etc you can start with 10cp. I personally don't like it as it tends to shorten character's 'life span'. And I am also for 'first advancements and alignment, then chaos gifts'.

Beyond the skill choices, there's the value of which they are [dodge, parry for example] and also the Talents. One often wants to up their toughness, well that's Nurgle. Sound constitution is also Nurgle. Those wanting to specialize in melee though have their stuff split between Slaanesh and Khorne, and its actually kind of difficult to shift alignments without specifically working towards one if you focus on tech or shooting.

Overall its best to keep yourself close, if you really want to, but not actually try to cross the threshold at Creation. Its easy to get to about 4 advances towards one power with starting XP, but five is almost impossible for any other than Tzeench. With the right choices, you can easily be one, maybe two sessions from both your first mutation and your alignment, without having to go out of your way just to achieve this at the cost of your character.