Missing Weapons & Equipment?

By Santiago, in Only War Beta

Which weapons and/or equipment would be cool to also include in the supplement?

- The vehicles which seem to be in great demand are the Valkyrie and the Tauros.
- The Underbarrel Shotgun is a personal favourite of mine.
- Air Burst Grenades for the Mortars and Basilisk would be cool
- AT light motorcycle for Imperial Guard scouts (to be used with hunter killer)
- Horses, we have the lance, just not the horses
- Disposable Missile Launcher (like the M72)
- Lower tech grenade launcher (like the RPG-7)
- Assault Lasgun
- SAW type heavy lasgun

I'll think of more…

S.

Santiago said:

Which weapons and/or equipment would be cool to also include in the supplement?

- The vehicles which seem to be in great demand are the Valkyrie and the Tauros.
- The Underbarrel Shotgun is a personal favourite of mine.
- Air Burst Grenades for the Mortars and Basilisk would be cool
- AT light motorcycle for Imperial Guard scouts (to be used with hunter killer)
- Horses, we have the lance, just not the horses
- Disposable Missile Launcher (like the M72)
- Lower tech grenade launcher (like the RPG-7)
- Assault Lasgun
- SAW type heavy lasgun

I'll think of more…

S.

I think the SAW equivalent is either some kind of multi-laser, a heavy stubber, or a bolter of some sort.

Assault Lasgun doesn't really say much. Wouldn't a regular lasgun or a Hot-Shot lasgun work?

Other than that, I've been pretty vocal about thinking the Tauros belongs in the game. If they felt the need to include Elysian Drop troops, then their signature ground vehicle deserves to be in. The lack of Valkyries makes me sad, but I understand how important aerial rules are; that's why I made my own for both ;)

Bikes would make me very happy.

Assault Lasgun is one that can do full auto. Something that M36 should be able to do.

Ogryn Ripper Saw. It is mentioned in the fluff somewhere, but isn't in the weapons section.

- Solid Slugs for shotguns (+1 Dam, +2 Pen, +50% Range)
- Chain Bayonet (Lancers are cool)
- Rifle Grenades
- Artillery/Air Support (rules for fire support)
- Dozer Blade (ramming and digging rules)
- Gun emplacements

Santiago said:

- Solid Slugs for shotguns (+1 Dam, +2 Pen, +50% Range)
- Chain Bayonet (Lancers are cool)
- Rifle Grenades
- Artillery/Air Support (rules for fire support)
- Dozer Blade (ramming and digging rules)
- Gun emplacements

-agreed for slugs, stats looks fine tho obviously they loose the scatter Special too

-text say melee attachment incorporates chain blades as examples

- is there any lore support for that? Hard to say such a thing gets much use 8/10 regiment uses Las guns anyway

- there already is stats for artillery guns, some common sense from the GM could work those in without making it some separate equipment diddle daddle

- same here really, some common sense from the GM and some shovels for the players and you can make this without it being some kind of equipment.

What would be nice would be a system for designing vehicles and equipment (for the GM or Players under GM approval of course) where you put in what you want it to do (both advantages and disadvantages) and could then consult a table showing cost and rareity (not being on the beta myself I'm not entirely sure how equipment is bought in game).

I have a fan made class creator for D&D (somewhere on one of my computors….) which worked on the principle that if you analysed the various core classes you could break them down into their individual parts which you could then point up. Then removing outliers (the monk class was about a third to a half more points then the rest) you could average them to have the basic points for a class (though the designer lowered the points slightly so that these new classes wouldn't outshine the core classes which I don't think would be an issue here) and would also have a points cost for various abilities (or if the player/gm was making a new ability then they could find whichever ability seems to be equivelent in power and use that point cost).

When Only War comes out I'll try to do something similar, should have plenty of free time in late november and december

Bron said:

What would be nice would be a system for designing vehicles and equipment (for the GM or Players under GM approval of course) where you put in what you want it to do (both advantages and disadvantages) and could then consult a table showing cost and rareity (not being on the beta myself I'm not entirely sure how equipment is bought in game).

sounds nifty, tho lore wise a bit iffy, consider the kinda main thing about the Imperium is they copy and very rarely if ever design anything new. They basicly hug to tried and trued centriues old blueprints like they are texts out of a holy bible. Having a system for tinkering with existing equipment and vehicles would work better in my mind, as it makes sense guardsmen would as time passes tinker with there stuff to make it fit there work.

Don´t you forgett something ?

- new game line --> new supply books

there ist surely a supplement like IG Armoury in planning with all the new stuff you want

remmus said:

sounds nifty, tho lore wise a bit iffy, consider the kinda main thing about the Imperium is they copy and very rarely if ever design anything new. They basicly hug to tried and trued centriues old blueprints like they are texts out of a holy bible. Having a system for tinkering with existing equipment and vehicles would work better in my mind, as it makes sense guardsmen would as time passes tinker with there stuff to make it fit there work.

The flip side if that, lore wise, is that the Imperium is millions of planets, and Astropathy is not exatly a technically precise mode of communications. It's spelled out explicitly in all the books that any piece of normal kit you find is just one type amoung millions of local variants. In some case it's going to be mechanically meaningless, even though Forge World Mattel builds their Las guns with plastic pistol grip stocks and Hive World Fabber make theirs with wooden mannlicher stocks with thumb holes making them visually completely different they might be mechanically identical. Another world will make Las Rifles identical to the standard pattern but with a shorter wavelength that gives them better pen.

Basically you have total liscense to make whatever you want if it's not something known to be rare like power armour or inferno pistols. And even those probably all look different.

"sounds nifty, tho lore wise a bit iffy, consider the kinda main thing about the Imperium is they copy and very rarely if ever design anything new. They basicly hug to tried and trued centriues old blueprints like they are texts out of a holy bible. Having a system for tinkering with existing equipment and vehicles would work better in my mind, as it makes sense guardsmen would as time passes tinker with there stuff to make it fit there work."

Yes but remember that the STC basically gurantees a endless variation to cope with all the different little things, plus I'm sure there is still some tinkering going on even if its unofficial (I remember reading more then one piece of fluff about the tech priests complaining about people modifying equipment sometimes to the extent of making entirely new vehicles, armour, equipment and weapons but as they are so useful they get adopted more and more till eventually the tech priests go "oh would you look at that, we found an STC fragment that says this was intended all along, well I guess thats okay then…..". Also this would allow you to make custom upgrades so the insane battlefield mods that soldiers can come up with can be intergrated into the game more easily (without accidentily becoming quite so game breaking at least).

"Don´t you forgett something ?

- new game line --> new supply books

there ist surely a supplement like IG Armoury in planning with all the new stuff you want"

Awwwww but I want it nnnoooooooowwwwwww! *stamps foot and pouts*

I'm not saying I want it now, I'm saying I would like to see it.
Though I do think the Valkyrie is actually missing and should be in the main book, as is the horse.

Santiago said:

Though I do think the Valkyrie is actually missing and should be in the main book, as is the horse.

The Valkyrie is not in the book because it doesn't include rules for flyers, something they claim will be a matter of future supplements. For the time being, it is best if the GM handles them narratively, rather than with rules and rolls.

Lasguns Lasguns!

There are quite a few automatic lasguns in the various games… Even amongst the different rules (DH, RT, etc.), you can generally import _weapons_ without problem from game to game, even if other stuff doesn't fit.

Some of the automatic Lasguns include:

D'Laku Hellgun

Merovech Assault Lasgun

Stutter-Las

Minerva-Aegis Las Carbine

Fury Laspistol

Two weapons that I think should be included in Only War is the Guard Shield and Assault Lasgun

Guard Shield (Dark Heresy: The Inquisitor's Handbook)
Guard Shield, Melee, 1d5 I damage, 0 Pen, Defensive, Primitive, Weight: 3.5kg, Availability: Scarce, Guard shields can provide cover for the user concealing all of their body should they choose. As cover, a guard shield provides 6 Armour Points.

Merovech Pattern Assault Lasgun (Rogue Trader: Into the Storm)
Assault Lasgun, Basic, 50m, 1/–/5, 1d10+3 E, 0 pen, 120 (2x60), 2 Full, Reliable, 4.5 kg, Availability: Average, Each Merovech Assault Lasgun may be used as a spear with the Mono upgrade in melee combat. This weapon may be equipped with any lasgun ammo.

Some of the Unusual Ammunition wouldn't be out of place in a military setting, Solid Slugs for shotguns has already been mentioned, but I was thinking of FycelIne-tIpped rounds from Rogue Trader: Hostile Acquisitions (The weapon’s damage type is changed to Explosive, and the weapon gains a damage bonus determined by its Class. Pistol-class weapons gain no bonus, Basic-class weapons increase their damage by 1, and Heavy-class weapons increase their damage by 3. Availability: Very Rare) and Tracer Shells from Rogue Trader: Into the Storm (The user gains a +5 to Ballistic Skill Tests when firing the weapon on Full Auto. On a turn where the user has fired Tracer Shells, all subsequent Ballistic Skill Tests made to hit the user in fog, mist, shadow, smoke, and darkness also gain a +5 as the user gives away his position. Used With: Any Solid Projectile and Bolt weapons. Availability: Average).

I also think that the Explosive Collars from Dark Heresy Core should also be brought back, Penal Colony Regiments just seem incomplete without them.

Here are the rules for the full auto laser weapons in question…

D'Laku Hellgun, Basic, 100m, S/3/5, 1d10+3E, pen 4, clip 40, rld 2 full,
(Can also use normal lasgun clips, gets 12 shots a clip if you use those)

Merovech Assault Lasgun, Basic, 50m, 1/-/5, 1d10+3E, 0 pen, 120 clip, rld 2 full, reliable, average

Stutter-Las, pistol, 35m, S/-/5 1d10+2E, pen 0, clip 25, rld full, inaccurate, average

Minerva-Aegis Las Carbine, Basic, 60m, S/4/8, 1d10+2E, pen 0, clip 40, rld full, reliable, scarce

Fury Laspistol, Pistol, 20m, S/2/5, 1d10+2E, 0 pen, clip 30, rld full, reliable, scarce

Compare all of those to your basic…

Eldar Lasblaster, Basic, 120m, S/3/6, 1d10+4 E, 4 pen, 90, rld full, reliable, near unique

Emperor Castaigne said:

I also think that the Explosive Collars from Dark Heresy Core should also be brought back, Penal Colony Regiments just seem incomplete without them.

Musclewizard said:

Emperor Castaigne said:

Now this is a bit of-topic but I think that Explosive Collars for Penal Regiments are rather silly. I mean sure the idea is nice but I think it would be much more fitting if Penal Regiments were sent into combat not because otherwise their heads explode but because if they fall back they just get mowed down by some guys with machine guns.
I've recently played Men of War: Condemned Heroes (which has a bunch of Russian Penal Soldier in it) and there's a very gruesome scene right near the beginning where a bunch of penal legionaries are ordered to charge a german trench, some of them break, fall back and are mowed down by russian MGs that hold the position they took just moments before.

Yes, that is a far more likely scenario, but I think that the option to use Explosive Collars should be available for the people who want it.

Explosives collars are good because in some situations, you send suicide soldiers in precisely because they're expendable, and many situations where you want that are those where you might not have support, or a gun-line behind them. For instance, perhaps you para-drop the Legionnaires into deep enemy cover, because chances are slim they can accomplish the objective, but better them than normal troops. There's plenty of potential situations where they might be operating as such on their own, so explosive collars are a nice option.

Santiago said:

Oh sorry I wasn't meaning to imply that you were being whiny or anything, that was an entirely unsarcastic lust for new equipment, I was replying to someone else's comment that we could just wait and a book with more equipment would come out and trying to imply that while yes we could wait for a new book to come out in what December/January? but if we want shiny stuff now we have to come up with it ourselves.

I agree with you that horses at least should be in the main book, people have said that lances are, if horses arn't in there then I dread to think of the "creative" ways players will get round it (knowing my player party I'm thinking a hellhound covered with lances like a giant exploding hedgehog that breathes fire……)

Bron said:

Santiago said:

I agree with you that horses at least should be in the main book, people have said that lances are, if horses arn't in there then I dread to think of the "creative" ways players will get round it (knowing my player party I'm thinking a hellhound covered with lances like a giant exploding hedgehog that breathes fire……)

That would be multiple and ungodly levels of awesome. To the drawing board!

HTMC said:

Explosives collars are good because in some situations, you send suicide soldiers in precisely because they're expendable, and many situations where you want that are those where you might not have support, or a gun-line behind them. For instance, perhaps you para-drop the Legionnaires into deep enemy cover, because chances are slim they can accomplish the objective, but better them than normal troops. There's plenty of potential situations where they might be operating as such on their own, so explosive collars are a nice option.