Mental deficiency

By hothamwater, in Tannhauser

Hi, relatively new player here (probably played four or five games, all deathmatch). I tried searching the forums for this but could come up with my exact issue.

Basically, I'm wondering how you bridge the mental gap between the union and the reich. Is there any way to field a union team with boosted mental abilities in order to combat the mental wiles of Herzinger?

Right now, I just have the core game, novgorod, and Asteros (I know he's a gamebreaker, but I found a good deal for him). I would like to get 2-3 more pieces right away, but I'd like to avoid purchasing anything from the Shogunate (yet) or Ramirez because my friend already has access to these.

What are the best strategies to fight mental attacks? What are the best character setups?

From a Union only perspective, I have only one answer for you, HOAX.

She has the highest Union mental value, and while invisiable she cannot be targeted by any enemy, including Hermann. His only real defense against her is his command pack.

Miah999 said:

From a Union only perspective, I have only one answer for you, HOAX.

She has the highest Union mental value, and while invisiable she cannot be targeted by any enemy, including Hermann. His only real defense against her is his command pack.

I agree with Miah, but you already have the main tool against Hermann: Ramirez. His DOG has no mental stat and thus he can enter Hermann path without rolling and shoot him despite the helm of diomedes without rolling, also in Ramirez stamina pack you have the brothers bomb, which is basically a self propelled grenade.

Also his weapon target circles not people, if Hermann does not have the command pack but the helm of diomedes instead, he can be shot at freely with Ramirez weapon.

Miah and Moebius have already stated important points. I'd like to add the following suggestions:

You could equip lots of grenades and try to damage Heizinger from out-of-path.

You could try to save a CP or two to increase your Mental value if Heizinger wants to duel one of your characters.

You could get Oksana, who is allowed to join a Union team. Her Voivodes are immune to any Mental ability.

And although I feel ashamed to even suggest it: You could just play Asteros and smack Heizinger before he has the chance to even say "Sha-na-na".

Here's another one: Play the "UMTOMA" rules that allow Matriarchy characters to join Union teams and vice versa. Add Zor'ka to your team. Not only does she have a high MV but she also has an equipment token that makes her immune to any mental abilities. I'm not sure but I think it's part of her Command pack.

??! said:

Here's another one: Play the "UMTOMA" rules that allow Matriarchy characters to join Union teams and vice versa. Add Zor'ka to your team. Not only does she have a high MV but she also has an equipment token that makes her immune to any mental abilities. I'm not sure but I think it's part of her Command pack.

It is in the command pack indeed but in my view, not worth it. With MV 7 she is almost inmune to patmos (she wins the ties in the duels), she might fail the hermetica occulta though as in that case she loses the ties. I always use zorka with the stamina pack, the extra stamina die makes a difference with SV 7 or 8 if irina comes along with stamina)