Starting your turn on Dracula's location

By skarycory, in Fury Of Dracula

Hi everyone,

I understand that if you move onto Dracula's square, you must fight him (assuming an encounter doesn't stop this). My question is, what about when you START your turn in Dracula's square? Do you have to fight him then on your turn (if you can't leave the space because of fog, for example)? Or can you choose not to engage him?

The instructions specify that:

On a Hunter’s turn, he may first move to a new location. If that location contains an encounter, the Hunter must face it and deal with its effects. If Dracula is in the location, the Hunter must battle the Count.

Does this mean that you only have to fight Dracula on your turn if you moved to a NEW location that he is in? Or that you must fight him on your turn if he is in your location, regardless of whether you started there or not?

Thanks! Great game.

Nope. You have to fight the Count everytime you're in a location he is in at the start of your action phase and you are not hindered to have an action phase by anything else. Sorry for the late reply, no light bleeping for new messages on this forum on my PC for a very long time.

Since the move phase comes before the action phase does that mean the hunter can move away if they start their turn on a location with the Count? Also if the Count starts his turn on a location with a hunter can he move away?

Teetoo said:

Since the move phase comes before the action phase does that mean the hunter can move away if they start their turn on a location with the Count? Also if the Count starts his turn on a location with a hunter can he move away?

Yes to both. Sometimes it's wiser avoid combat (for the Hunters: no stakes, it's night, the hunter's biten and so on; for the Count: if it's day, the hunter's packed with stakes. paucity of good events to protect you, Sister Agatha in play, and so on). As you said, combat happens during the Action phase, hence everyone is free to move away (if normal movement rules allow this)

Thank you Julia. I love this game, very unique. I can't wait to try Letters from Whitechapel.

Teetoo said:

Thank you Julia. I love this game, very unique. I can't wait to try Letters from Whitechapel.

;-) you're welcome