Silent Move w/ Run

By Ribbon, in Dark Heresy Rules Questions

Core book says that Silent Move tests are usually a Free Action made as part of a Move Action; is there something in the rules or errata that I am missing, or does any move action suffice? The skill description itself doesn't seem to limit, but if that is the case, can people couple Silent Move with something like Run, which is a Move Action? I wouldn't really want to get into a discussion if it is *possible*, just if there is anything in the rules that would prohibit such an action or at least list some sort of penalty.

Ribbon said:

Core book says that Silent Move tests are usually a Free Action made as part of a Move Action; is there something in the rules or errata that I am missing, or does any move action suffice? The skill description itself doesn't seem to limit, but if that is the case, can people couple Silent Move with something like Run, which is a Move Action? I wouldn't really want to get into a discussion if it is *possible*, just if there is anything in the rules that would prohibit such an action or at least list some sort of penalty.

I'd only allow a silent move to be paired with a half or full move type action. Even if I did allow someone to use silent move at a full run or charge, there'd be heinous penalties making it highly likely they'd be detected. My reason is that movement speed does not seem to effect silent move chance which is fine as long as the player is restricted to creeping about at reasonable speeds.

Regardless of whether you move half or full (effectively a single or double move) it seems you roll once which is fine by me.

You are missing the common sense of the GM (no offense!) gui%C3%B1o.gif

While there is no rules text about it, their is no rules text that "wearing a chainmail coat will impose negative modifier on Silent Move", but if one thinks about it a second, it is quiet obvious that something like this is goin to happen.

Gregorius21778 said:

You are missing the common sense of the GM (no offense!) gui%C3%B1o.gif

While there is no rules text about it, their is no rules text that "wearing a chainmail coat will impose negative modifier on Silent Move", but if one thinks about it a second, it is quiet obvious that something like this is goin to happen.

Oh, well of course. I mean, I tried to sort of emphasize personally that I'd at least houserule it, but I was more concerned as to if the actual rules as presented had anything to say about it (mostly because it's gamebreaking, and since running is pretty much uniformly better if you're just aiming to 'stay hidden and move', there's no point to Full move when you can just Run). Aside from that, I personally wouldn't apply any bonus or negative to the chainmail... there are a lot of things one can think illogical that are taken for granted in games. In real life you might sound like someone shaking a bag full of nickels while walking around in your handy armor, but DH is a game where you use bolters and chainsaw-swords... I get the feeling that a lot of realism is abandoned purely for over the top "is it cool" reasons, just as how in D&D things are simplified for ease of use and mechanics.

Personally, was just asking this on behalf of my GM, as we have someone else in the party with both Silent Move and an obscene AB. It wouldn't be some huge issue to be abused (as again, it can and should be easily houseruled simply for mechanics reasons, not even considering realism), but he was just curious as to if it made a point somewhere in the book or errata that he (and I) might have missed. And apparently, with the only responses suggesting an in-house ruling, there isn't anything set in stone.

It looks to me like they overlooked it.

Ribbon said:

Oh, well of course. I mean, I tried to sort of emphasize personally that I'd at least houserule it, but I was more concerned as to if the actual rules as presented had anything to say about it (..)