How much XP do you give?

By Frankie, in General Discussion

In most DH, or DH-inspired games like AdEva, the standard amount of XP given is 400-600 per fight, 100-300 for a non-combat session.

How much XP do you give, given that everything is more expensive, assuming you want PCs to progress roughly at the same rate as a DH character would?

Or how much are you comfortable giving in general?

I'm considering 100XP per session, and then a bit extra for good roleplaying/planning and encounters.

I'm usually giving around 75-100 XP per hour and additional XP for good roleplaying and whenever an arc ends or another significant event occurs that the players are part of.

I usually give, for a 3 hour game, 300xp plus any additional XP for cool things they did, or good roleplay - it usually ends up at about 400xp or so per session per player.

i give 400 exp per session even if they are shorter then 4 hours. if they overcame some terrible odds i give 500. and at the end of an adventure I give bonus exp.

My gaming sessions tend to go for 6 to 8 hours, so since RT I have been giving 100xp per hour. I'm not a huge fan of bonus XP, as it can lead to the more "active" (ie, verbose) PC's getting far ahead xp wise than the more "quiet" (ie, still new to RP'ing compared to the rest of us that have been doing it for 25 years now) PC's.

My group also has replacement characters comming in at the same XP total as everyone else that survived. It works well for us. It can encourage great heroism and good action scenes to know that you won't loose thousands of XP if your character bites the big one.

Also not a big fan of a big lump-sum XP bonus at the end of a story arc / adventure. I much prefer those rewards to be in-game things. Be it the colonel of the regiment stopping by to award a Medallion Crimson to the brave sniper that fought on against the ork after being critically injured, or liberating a Chalice class battle-cruiser for their dynasty from the icy space hulk it was trapped in.