Preview: We'll Have to Destroy Them Ship to Ship

By ImmortalJedi, in X-Wing

Wow! Two previews in one week! This time, the focus is on the TIE Fighters. The game is finally getting closer to release…

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3462

And it looks like there'll be four more before GenCon then (two ships, tournament rules, fleet building), that'll be two previews a week gran_risa.gif

Interesting, it looks like the pack has three unique pilots to the pack, and copies of 3 of the non-unique pilots in the base set. This effectivly also tells me that the another pilot in the base set will be Black Squadron Pilot.

Using that data we can assume that the X-wing expansion will have Wegde and Red leader as well as the non-unique Rookie pilot and Red Squadron pilot from the base set.

I guess I was expecting all the pilots in the expansions to be different from the base set. Hmm, that might have changed my pre-order.

Thanks,

Duncan

Wow. This was an eye-opener for me. This whole time I've been so focused on Rebel ships, I forgot all about how to organize strategy for Imperial squadrons. It's like the game just doubled in content for me! I'm really excited to see how different strategies for Rebels and Imperials play against each other.

I just noticed that the pile of numbers that were 10s and 11s in the X-wing preview are 12s, 13s, 14s, and 15s in the TIE Fighter pack. What could they be?

Budgernaut said:

I just noticed that the pile of numbers that were 10s and 11s in the X-wing preview are 12s, 13s, 14s, and 15s in the TIE Fighter pack. What could they be?

I saw that too. Maybe it's a speed marker? Ties are faster than X-wings, so it would kind of make sense if it tracks.

The thing that gets me is there's a lot more of them as well. Although it could just be that there's 3 of each number. Interestingly the total number of markers stays roughly consistant.

X-Wing: Focus, "Stress", "Hit", 4x Target lock, 2x Shield, 6x Numbers

TIE Fighter: Evade, Focus, "Stress", "Hit", 12x Numbers

Also the "Hit" marker is obviously a "Critical Hit" marker in the picture, Though it could be double sided with one on either side at this point as well.

I saw a suggestion that the numbers might be some sort of point tracker, but unless they are double sided and different on each side, the numbers that are coming in this set vs the X-Wing set don't make much sense.

They could be for marking which ship belongs to which pilot card? Would make sense with several of a generic pilot (rookies, academy pilots) on either side…

haslo said:

They could be for marking which ship belongs to which pilot card? Would make sense with several of a generic pilot (rookies, academy pilots) on either side…

That is both brilliant and inelegant at the same time.

It's brilliant because differentiating multiple generic ships is a real problem that we haven't seen an answer to.

It's inelegant because I really don't feel like pushing cardboard chits around with my fighters. It seems too messy and takes away from the aesthetics of the ships. Of course, the simple solution to that is to not use multiple generic pilots. Easy.