a FREE beginners deck

By COCLCG, in Call of Cthulhu Deck Construction

so, i made a deck that i've been showing and giving to new players on lackey that has a bit of everything in it, to expand their knowledge of cards that interact with each other, sneaky in story manipulations, some cost reduction features, jumpers and destruction ( sacrificing ), while still being one of my favourite fun decks to play ( especially when you huang-hun / farrington / abduct a weenie and then single glimpse / many angled the big bad ). just putting it out there because as i said, its a great deck for really inducing the paranoia in the opponent and possibly bluffing an uncontested story with a little neophyte just by leaving a 2 domain spare after they've already seen a couple of in story spells or fallen for the bounce / sacrifice. so go ahead, use, modify, adapt, ignore. up to you, but its certainly one i'll be bringing out every now and again.

THE SILVER TWILIGHT YODGE

3 x Lodge Neophyte
3 x Initiate of Huang Hun
2 x Guardian of the Key
2 x The Sleepwalker
3 x Faceless Abductor
3 x Magical Theorist
3 x Master of the Myths
3 x Lord Jeffrey Farrington
3 x Sarah Van Shaw
3 x Many-angled Thing

3 x A Single Glimpse
3 x Casting off the Skin
3 x Fist of Yog-Sothoth
3 x Steal the Soul

2 x Ritual of Exclusion
3 x T'tka Halot
3 x Eltdown Shards
2 x Ritual of Inferno

its nothing fancy with indepth strategies, so just by building and looking at the cards you'll get what it does so i dont feel the need to waste space explaining.

This is fairly close to the Twilight/Yog deck I've been testing, and I think it's a strong combination, and I'm sticking with that assessment even after getting hammered by AGoT DC Meta's Shub/Yog deck. Eltdown Shards, in particular, can be a devastating addition if you get it on a good character and are able to get to the story phase on a regular basis. Faceless Abductor is a really nice card as well, given that - unlike the Twilight bouncing cards - you can trigger its ability on demand as an action. Really forces the other player to keep his head down during the story phase, as a timely abduction can really turn around the struggles on a given story.

meh. you cant take one loss as any indication of a deck. after all, it is a game with the potential of luck making or breaking the game. keep on keeping on, as yes, if not always a winner, it is hugely fun to play. and isnt that what GAMES are about ??

The first time I played my fiance's Deep One's deck I won. Her deck then proceeded to beat mine 5 times in a row. Definitely don't let one loss turn you away from a deck.

Definitely, it takes several games to get a decent sense of how a deck performs against another - a single game doesn't prove much. Last night I was playing a Hastur deck against a Cthulhu deck where nearly all the characters had Terror. I had tools in my deck to deal with that - taking control, stripping off icons, etc… But, I just didn't draw those cards in time. By the time I did, they'd built up too many characters and the game was lost. A rematch could easily go the other way.

I like the deck you've presented, how's Magical Theorist working out for you? I need to try him out soon, but it's been busy around here. I really like the idea of pumping some new life into the under-used Rituals but I wonder how many Tomes you really need to make him shine.

he's not bad, but becomes a little bit of a target. my favourite use for him though is of course springing those in story spells for cost 1. especially fist of yog-sothoth with a 2 domain, which is of course now over-paying and going back to hand to REALLY keep the opponent paranoid. i really dont plan to use him much for the ritual of exclusion because of snow graves, but the syndicate tome works quite nice combined with this ritual as even with this tome you can use a huang hun / abductor / farrington for one token, exhaust the theorist for another token and sac. the ritual for 2 characters back in hand. exhaust the twilight book character and the ritual is back again. of course this is only a very SMALL part of the deck, as snow graves ruins it all, but of course they're not wasted either as each benefit sarah shaw and the lodge characters ( nice to finally have a combat icon on master of myths ). ritual of inferno i've found to be a MUST vs the dreaded hastur dreamlands decks, but again, if opponent has no locations, its still feeding sarah shaw and the lodgies, so must be taken seriously by the opponent in any sense.

though, as stated, my most enjoyable trick is the bounce / sacrifice. after the first time they take the weenie back and lose the better character, every bounce from then on ( with a spare domain ), is a huge bluff. same goes for the spells. i've been quietly chuckling every game as the other person umms and arrs, commit or not commit, what can he use that 2 domain for etc. loads of fun.

EDIT: silver twilight tome i meant. just been building a syndicate / twilight deck. oops

just a little revamp to include some support removal when you want to activate the ritual :

THE SILVER TWILIGHT YODGE

3 x Lodge Neophyte
3 x Initiate of Huang Hun
2 x Guardian of the Key
2 x The Sleepwalker
3 x Faceless Abductor
2 x Magical Theorist
3 x Master of the Myths
3 x Lord Jeffrey Farrington
2 x Sarah Van Shaw
3 x Many-angled Thing
2 x Constricting elder thing

3 x A Single Glimpse
3 x Casting off the Skin
3 x Fist of Yog-Sothoth
3 x Steal the Soul

2 x Ritual of Exclusion
3 x T'tka Halot
3 x Eltdown Shards
2 x Ritual of Inferno

One less Magical Theorist and one less Sarah Van Shaw in return for adding 2xConstricting Elder Thing.

I think that's a pretty good trade. I prefer 2x Sarah anyway, being a unique and not THAT important until a Tome gets in play as well I feel like I can wait a little while to see her hard come up. I still haven't gotten to really try out Magical Theorist. I spent one evening typing in a number of decks from the forums and trying them out. I did one game with this one but my card draw was a bit wonky and I never got to use it properly. Perhaps I'll try it again sometime.

yeah, like i said, its only a fun deck for learners to have some play with, but yes, when the draw is nice, the outcomes are hilarious to watch……..