A noob with a million questions

By Kevinjt4, in Runebound

Hi all - just picked up Runebound and I must say, I'm hooked - even though I mainly play solo with Mr. Skeletorssolo Rules. I have played thru, using the Doom Track a some modifed variants (2 doom cards trigger a doom counter,3 doom cards, 4 doom cards, 4 XP instead of 5, etc, etc.) To me, 3 cards triggering a doom counter seems best, as 4 allowed my one character to gain 4 XP counters per ability so each ability had +6!

Of course as I played thru I came across a lot of questions, a few are just for clarification and others cause I really cant find an answer on these boards, or in the rules. So, I will lay them out as best I can for you below.

These are in NO particular order...

1) During the experience phase, I turn in enough XP counters to buy a +1 Life counter (this being the first +1 life counter on my character.) Now via the rules, prohibits me from drawing GREEN cards. But can I still land on green encounter spaces, draw from the YELLOW deck? If so, and I beat the yellow challenge, do I take the green XP counter or do I take a yellow XP counter from the off-board pool?

2) If I'm currently in a town, and I roll the movement dice and dont like what I rolled - do I (1) have to move? and (2) can I just stay in the City and go straight to the Market Step?

2a) Say I wish to rest by NOT rolling at all (removing 4 exhaustion counters in the process) while IN a city from my previous turn - do I also go straight to the Market Step?

3) Spiritspeaker Mok - Mok has 2 wounds & 2 exhaustion counters already on him. Can I: (1) Before moving take 2 exhaustion and remove one wound counter and then declare that I'm resting and then remove the two exhaustion I just placed on him by declaring that I'm resting by rolling only 2 movement dice? Or roll no dice and remove all 4 exh. counter?

4) When the "EndGame" Begins (if I'm usnig the Doom Track) is there a "Before Combat" phase? If there is a before Combat phase, how many are then in the Endgame, one, two or three depending on whether or not I kill Margath or three dragons?

5) Does the Bow of Bone (or any other weapon/item) give me the +3 bonus to Ranged DEFENSE rolls (I assume so, but I just need to clarify)?

6) If I'm defending & defeat the roll (say for Body) & my Body has a damage of 2, do I inflict the 2 damage even though I'm defending? Or is damage only dealt when attacking?

7) I'm playing SOLO. I'm also playing with the Doom Track variant. Do I go thru all 5 steps ( refresh to Experience) THEN place the defeated card on the doom track?

8) Mistress of the Ferrox - when "discarding" this card to defeat another "worded Ferrox" card - WHERE do I place this card? On the Doom Track, or the discard pile?

9) Card Timing: I need to roll an 18 (eighteen) to defeat a red challenge in spirit. I roll a '10' (ten) then add +3 spirit from Sir Valadir (my character) then add +2 more for an XP spirit token for a total of '15'. 15 < 18 so I would obviously lose this roll and take damage; HOWEVER can I discard Golden Skull Wielder and receive the +4 bonus to my magic roll giving me a 19? Or do I have to activate/discard the Golden Skull BEFORE i roll?

9a) If I CAN activate the Golden Skull, where do I discard it to? The discard pile or Doom Track.

10) Another discard question: I land on a green encounter space. I draw a level 1 event card. A level 2 event is already in play; WHERE do I discard the level 1 event? Doom Track or discard pile. (I think I just read that the discarded event would go to the Doom track, but I'm not positive.)

11) During a knockout where I have to discard my highest Ally OR item and I have only one item and one ally, can I choose between the two, even though the Ally is more expensive than the item (as the rules states either/or.)

12) Can I use Lady Vorakesh (discarding her) along with Sire Valedir's ally ability to subtract 3 G coin when hiring an Ally? So basically making an 8 G ally worth 5 gold?

13) Can armor be activated to prevent wounds being inflicted during "BEFORE COMBAT" phase due to a TEST ROLL which inflicts wounds?

14) During Endgame - after I defeat a dragon (i.e. Droxor) can/do I take that card (as reward) as the Rune of Droxor? Can I use that rune against the next dragon?

1) No, you do not draw anything, you just waste your turn.

2) Yes, you can stay there even all game, if you want to.

2a) Yes.

3) Yes.

4) Before each combat there is "before combat" phase. But there is no refresh in end game.

5) It gives what's said on card, if it's combat roll bonus, then it is both defense and attack.

6) If you have special character skill or special item with such ability then yes. Otherwise no.

7) I don't understand this problem. Card is placed on track when it is discarded. What do you don't understand ?

8) If you play with doom track then it goes there, as there goes all discards.

9) It is writen on the card, upgrade your english reading skills.

9a) 10) Doom track, if you use it, of course, as then there's where ALL discards go.

11) You discard the most expensive one.

12) Yes. you can.

13) Yes.

14) Yes, of course.

Checked that Golden Skull card, it clearly says that it needs to be used before attack.

Just double checking

Yet another discard question:

If I activate an artifact or weapon that says "discard to activate" do Market cards also get discarded to the Doom track or just a Market discard pile?

No, discarded market cards go under the market deck.