need help making an axis army for a tournement

By Vandingo, in Dust Warfare General Discussion

hey guys im switching over from tactics and got about 2 weeks to practice for a tournement for dust warfare but im not too sure on what kinda army list to pick and what to prepare for in regards to common tactics used and list types i can be sure to come up against. i tend to like flexible ranged armies. heres waht i have in models….

1 lothar

1 luther

1 ludwig

1 hans

1 heinrich

1 battle grenadiers

1 recon grenadiers

1 laser grenadiers

1 heavy laser grenadiers

1 heavy recon grenadiers

1 heavy command squad

1 command squad

1 sniper/radio squad

im supposed to have a 300 and 500 point list as the tournement escalates in the final rounds not sure if i have that many points but i guess i can get more models. any help with making this would be great. if i need to buy more stuff what would be good units? i dont know if i lkike the zombie and gorilla stuff tho. it just seems outta place imo. hehe thanks again

Here is a link you wont want to lose:

http://dust.mainecoon.net/

Just my opinion, but I would not use non heavy laser grenadiers. They are not very effective in Dust Warfare.

Hope that helps.

Maverickg said:

Here is a link you wont want to lose:

http://dust.mainecoon.net/

Just my opinion, but I would not use non heavy laser grenadiers. They are not very effective in Dust Warfare.

Hope that helps.

I strongly disagree on the Heavy Laser Grenadiers. They are the only Unit in the game with a potential of 18 damage on a Heavy Walker in one attack. Unlikely, but 9-12 is very doable on a sustained attack, which is usually enough to kill one. I would attach Lara to them for ablative wounds to help them survive to get to the Walkers you are hunting.

Regular LGs I'd leave out unless you are a very good finesse player.

@ OP - Without knowing your play style, I'm reluctant to advise you. What works for me, doesn't for many others. Play what you think looks fun, as that will usually be dictated subconsciously by your play style. And definitely use the Force Builder Maverickg provided the URL for. It's awesome, and will help you create useful, legal lists.

I have a next suggestions fo Axis in general:

- Damage Resilient is very important thing, so all heavy troops are welcome (include HLG ;) )

- Gorillas have a great mobility, especially with Blitzkrieg. 6+6+6+3 inches threat range its very impressive!

- Take Charge is very usable SpecOrder too, so Schwer Platoon needed also

- Extra Panzer Support seems as "must have" option

- its obviously, but com.sections and sniper team ( Angela VERY useful) is ne?essary

Good luck in battle :)

If you look I said "non heavy". It was weird, I should have said " regular". I put Heavy Laser Grenadiers in when ever I can. gran_risa.gif

From my observation axis walkers are too weak and expensive. For example Ludwig has only 4 dices against inf.2. and 2 against inf.3. I always play on table that's 1/4 in terrain, mainly buildings, and in that environment all units have heavy cover, you can do anything to them with mechs. Remember that Axis mechs have only 45 degree of sight, so fast jump units of allays eat them in matter of seconds. You can’t react to move action of jump troops, so Tank Busters can jump on your mechs backs and shoot their 6 dices dealing 12 damage.
Meaby heavys are better but I didn't have chance to test that.

In theory Heavy Laser Gren. have good anti tank weapon, but they are too slow and don't have range, also they cant do anything to inf. Its waste of points. If you have only 1 unit of them, your opponent will kill them with snipers or Long Tom.

I know you don't have all that units but maybe you will take some concept from my build:

Dust Warfare - Force Builder
Faction: Axis ( 299 / 300 )

--- Heroes
Angela (30)
Lara (29)

--- Sturmgrenadiere Platoon (155)
Upgrade: Improved Command (5)
Command Section: Kommandotrupp (25)
1st Section: Heavy Flak Grenadiers (26)
2nd Section: Battle Grenadiers [upgrade] (20)
3rd Section: Recon Grenadiers (17)
Support: LPW I-C "Hans" (25)
Support: LPW I-C "Hans" (25)
Support: Sniper Grenadier Team (12)

--- Schwer Platoon (85)
Command Section: Heavy Kommandotrupp (35)
1st Section: Heavy Flak Grenadiers (26)

Angela goes to recon grenadiers, because you want that 8 dices at inf.2 / 6 at inf.3 without cover and saves at 16”, that unit can take Inf 3 and I promise that no one will come close to them so you can guard your flank. (You also get 3 dices at 12” from panzerfausts)

Lara goes to Heavy Komm. That way you have 19 dice at inf.2 and 10 at inf.3 and you can negate cover with Fligerfaust ;)

If your opponent brings walkers you can protect yourself with 2 units of Heavy Flak. Thats 6 dices from one unit at armor 3.
Angela can hit armor 3, 4, and 5 without saves.
Battle Gren. have 2 panzerschrecks and 2 panzerfausts so they are also big threat to walkers.
Recon Gren. have 3 panzerfausts.
And main anti tank weapons are yours 2 Hans light walkers that can walk on your opponent back.

Majority of units can kill Inf. and walkers. You also have 3 units that are great danger to aircrafts, and 3 snipers units.

I never thought to put Lara WITH the heavy Komandotrupp, Great Idea! I would(and do) put Angela with sniper squad to benefit from the spotter. Although adding the sniper skill to an entire squad is useful, I prefer to be more deadly with Angela vs armor at long range. I kill armor or primary targets with Angela and split the line to suppress and whittle down infantry with the other sniper.

As for Panzers, I have good success with the Lothar medium mech. I like to park him on an out of the way or easily defended objective or terrain piece with the Komandotrupp with in 6". Of course you'll want to add beobachter team to help your indirect fire or work the battle builder to that end. Alternately you can take Improved Command platoon upgrade to give you an extra radioman in case you need to sacrifice one when the Komandotrupp suffers a casualty.

The best thing you can do is play a bunch of games with what you have and see what works for you.

"Gorillas have a great mobility, especially with Blitzkrieg. 6+6+6+3 inches threat range its very impressive!"

If you add Markus to the Gorillas section of the Sturmgrendiere Platoon then that attack ups to 6+6+6+6+3 = 27 inches, but the fast has to be taken during the command phase.

thejughead said:

"Gorillas have a great mobility, especially with Blitzkrieg. 6+6+6+3 inches threat range its very impressive!"

If you add Markus to the Gorillas section of the Sturmgrendiere Platoon then that attack ups to 6+6+6+6+3 = 27 inches, but the fast has to be taken during the command phase.

This is only correct if you are using a Sturmgrenadiere Platoon and you issue the Blitzkrieg Order to a Gorilla Squad with Markus attached. Otherwise, this is incorrect, as you can't do a March Move if you move in the Command Phase. Markus doesn't give additional movement, he only allows you to make a free Attack Action after a March Move Action, which with the Gorillas' Fast SA, is 18" movement, + 3" CC Attack Range for a maximum 21" threat range. Obviously, adding the Blitzkrieg move, you may get 24" movement in one turn, but you may use the Fast SA in either phase, just not both.

Yes I forgot to mention that it must be a blitzkrieg order in the command phase. Thanks.

hey everyone thanks for the helpful info on specific combos to use with this or that hero/unit.

i did get to play a couple of games as practice and found i really like using heavy troops and extra mechs

i picked up another lothar and traded for a second hans. 2 of each sounds great after seeing how effective they are.

would it be smart to run 4 light mechs? or 2/2 ?

maybe im wrong but after a few games it seems that the better anti tank you can rely on is with the infantry and anti infantry from mechs

now this thing with the gorillas…you can them to move 27" on the first turn.? that seems crazy. i personally know some of the people that are going to be at this tournement that will play rush armies like that and they are super competative. what can i do to defend against that? one guy i know that will be there will have a sort of Allies spam list. i guess its all infantry with a lot of flame and bazookas. is that common?

thanks for all the help again.

Allies dont have a SpecOrders or Heroes for speed up units and only 2 troops unit (with flamers and shotguns) with Fast SA. The Priest can share Agile - additional 6" for Move reaction.So all light tanks + "Mikey" have Fast SA. But main threat is Air Drop platoon upgrade, I think. With tnem you can has a enemy unit in any point of table (12" away from you unit, of course), so if opponent have Air Drop - beware.

Meanwhile, if unit with Fast airdropped - does it can move additionally for Fast SA?

Vandingo said:

now this thing with the gorillas…you can them to move 27" on the first turn.? that seems crazy.

/QUOTE]

No that is anytime during the game as long as the unit does not have a reaction marker. You could also use this Gorilla section as a counter offensive unit against an airdrop. If you have an artillery asset or objective in your zone. Plant him nearby to counter any drop. At the very least it will make your opponent think about dropping it anywhere near him, and limit his options.

sorry some how the "quote" got mangled:

No that is anytime during the game as long as the unit does not have a reaction marker. You could also use this Gorilla section as a counter offensive unit against an airdrop. If you have an artillery asset or objective in your zone. Plant him nearby to counter any drop. At the very least it will make your opponent think about dropping it anywhere near him, and limit his options

As for the commit of Axis walkers are weak…

I played my first game of Dust Warfare and my one lone ludwig took out two american walkers just in range alone. The 36' range was a god send and did some nice damage 7/1 vs walkers of armor 4. For infantry I just used zombies and they did a great job in mopping up the americans…

Just my two cents