Potential buyer

By mr.thomasschmidt, in Middle-earth Quest

Hi.

Just wanted to know if anyone have played this game solo with success? I have no one to play with really and would like to get a nice game and love the LotR. Got the LCG already but wanted something a little more complex and time consuming :)

Really?!? No one?

For some reason MEQ section never showed the "new" post light on it, so haven't clicked in a while, would've replied sooner otherwise.

With solo MEQ, you have a few issues to overcome. There are the hidden Missions, but you can get around that by trying to eliminate as many mission win-conditions from the other side as possible. Then you have the monster tokens which are face down until moved into. I suppose you could draw and place them without looking at them, but this might give the heroes an edge (though they could perhaps do with one). Or you can look at them (as Sauron can) and place them where you would and do your hero movement as you would when facing a monster token potential, go around or try to bull through.

Biggest issue for me though is combat. Doing random draws isn't really optimal or smart (since you don't want to exhaust by flipping over the wrong card first round of combat), so you'll have to pick the combat cards. That means knowing what card each side has, but you could play the best situational card you feel the hero or monster/minion would play in that instance, looking on from that side's perspective, despite knowing the other side's card.

Hi Thomas,

I would not recommend MEQ for solo play. You should be at least two players as a large part of the game's design and fun are based around keeping shadow cards, plot cards, mission cards, combat cards, etc. hidden from the other side until finally revealed at the best/worst (depending on perspective) opportunity.

With two players it is a superb game in my opinion. Me and my son of 9 years of age have great fun playing.

As you are also a player of LOTR LCG I can understand why you are attracted to the theme but I would still recommend to either find a better soloplay alternative or a playing partner.

Regards.