Gear From Other Books?

By Plushy, in Only War Beta

Anyone got anything from the other lines (Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade) that would make good gear in Only War?

I'm stealing the Sororitas gear from the Book of Martyrs for sure, and may have to take the special scope that Raptors get in Honour The Chapter. Your thoughts? Any old favorites or hilarious combinations? I vaguely remember a 400 damage Ork weapon.

RT's Organgrinder Bolts…assault lasgun, among other guns like the assault stubber and triple shotgun. Some of the Arbites stuff from DH…I figured the guard would have MPs working under the Commissariat.

I wouldn't port any Astartes wargear. Too fancy and rarefied to be mass produced for the IG.

I could see some of the Death Watch Shotgun ammo having version that worked for human shotguns.

Solid Slugs from RT: Hostile Acquisitions, the Targeter from the revised DH:IH

Specialty ammo types and common weapon add-ons are one thing, Astartes Chapter-specific wargear (and that Raptors item is REALLY good if you pick the options right)…not so much.

I always liked the hellguns from DH (inquisitors hand book I think under forge worlds) as they wern't anti armour like the current ones but did more damage instead (though to me a true hellgun should probably do some more damage and some more anti-armour but meh) I think having both in your game makes sense (could rationalise it as one has short wavelengths which mess with armour but not flesh that well, the other has long wavelengths which dont' do well against armour but burn flesh up good).

Bron said:

I always liked the hellguns from DH (inquisitors hand book I think under forge worlds) as they wern't anti armour like the current ones but did more damage instead (though to me a true hellgun should probably do some more damage and some more anti-armour but meh) I think having both in your game makes sense (could rationalise it as one has short wavelengths which mess with armour but not flesh that well, the other has long wavelengths which dont' do well against armour but burn flesh up good).

Inquisitor Handbook Hellguns were inspired by the old S3 AP5 Hellguns. Current TT Hellguns are S3 AP3. Also, the Lucius-pattern Hellpistol does 1 point of damage more than the Voss-pattern. The only advantage is that they are compatible with standard lasgun power packs, though they chew through them at four times the rate, emptying a stardard power pack in only 15 shots.

They don't really keep up with that right now. Astartes Armour is 8, 10 in the body, and they usually have a total TB soak of 8. Your hellgun dishes out 1d10+4 Pen 7, but gets reduced by 9 [11 body] or more.

After accounting for Dodge, Cover, Fields[the things that cause 'invulnerable' or cover saves vs that AP], you're hard-pressed to deal anything, and lucky to dish out 4 to a space marine when you do manage to do any damage. Its worse against Daemons, as they tend to be even higher toughness, with less armour to ignore. You could easily run out of ammo in that weedy "little" 10kg pack before you down a single Astartes.

It doesn't need much, but perhaps an overcharge setting granting Tearing and Felling[2] would do the trick, without increasing how fast it vaporises normals?

Into the Storm and old good Inquisitor´s Hanbook are full of stuff ready to be plundered.

But I want my regiment to have reworked Haywire Rifle from Radicals Handbook as their Special Weapon… oh and there would be definitely PDFs and insurgent militias armed with Maxim…eeeh Volg Crank Cannons from IH

Kiton said:

They don't really keep up with that right now. Astartes Armour is 8, 10 in the body, and they usually have a total TB soak of 8. Your hellgun dishes out 1d10+4 Pen 7, but gets reduced by 9 [11 body] or more.

After accounting for Dodge, Cover, Fields[the things that cause 'invulnerable' or cover saves vs that AP], you're hard-pressed to deal anything, and lucky to dish out 4 to a space marine when you do manage to do any damage. Its worse against Daemons, as they tend to be even higher toughness, with less armour to ignore. You could easily run out of ammo in that weedy "little" 10kg pack before you down a single Astartes.

It doesn't need much, but perhaps an overcharge setting granting Tearing and Felling[2] would do the trick, without increasing how fast it vaporises normals?

Well the thing is, TT rules are what they are for balance reasons. In the fluff a Space Marine is a nigh-unkillable god of war, and a single squad can pacify a sparsely populated planet on their own. The RPG draws more from the fluff than from the TT, so game balance between armies is often flat out ignored.

Anyone remember a little article that came out in the White Dwarf called Movie Space Marines or something? They had like WS, BS, S, T and I 6 and 2 wounds each and their bolters were S6 and Rending. That's what a fluffy space marine is on the TT.

Regardless, a hellgun might not punch through a Space Marine power armor, but it does quite a number on human-sized ones.

It was already said to avoid Astartes weapons, but the reasoning isn't that they're too powerful, it's simply that weapons designed for use by an Astartes is much different than the same weapon designed for use by a human (as seen directly reflected in Black Crusade with a Chaos Marine holding a Bolter as opposed to a Human carrying a Bolter. Different stats.)