Sooo…

By Lorenelif, in Relic

It says, "builds on the Talisman system'.

So is this a compatible game? The sci-fi version of Talisman or something>

Who knows… But I think You will be able to play Talisman on Relic board or vice versa. They also have three Regions, and they have the same names as in Talisman.

I expect it's basically Talisman with a 40k theme. In other words, the mechanics will be very similar. How "compatible" they are is harder to tell, though. The comparative power levels of challenges and hero stats might be way off, making talisman heroes either too strong or too weak to compete even if you were inclined to use them in this game.

I suspect this is FFG's answer to everyone who wanted to see Timescape remade. Personally, I much prefer this approach to an actual remake of Timescape - this way the people who WANT to mix and match sci-fi with their Talisman can do so, and those of us who prefer to keep the two separate can still sleep at night knowing they're two different games. =)

two…. different…. games….. ZzzzzzzZz =P

Steve-O said:

I expect it's basically Talisman with a 40k theme. In other words, the mechanics will be very similar. How "compatible" they are is harder to tell, though. The comparative power levels of challenges and hero stats might be way off, making talisman heroes either too strong or too weak to compete even if you were inclined to use them in this game.

I suspect this is FFG's answer to everyone who wanted to see Timescape remade. Personally, I much prefer this approach to an actual remake of Timescape - this way the people who WANT to mix and match sci-fi with their Talisman can do so, and those of us who prefer to keep the two separate can still sleep at night knowing they're two different games. =)

two…. different…. games….. ZzzzzzzZz =P

Would b cool if that's how it works out. Then the whole Timescape controversy can just go away :-)

It's very similar in a lot of aspects to talisman, but there are actually separate decks to the game, based on the spot you land on, instead of a generic adventure deck (kind of similar to the Talisman Dragons Expansion, with the 3 dragon princes decks).

Also, the concept of corruption comes heavily into play in this game, which is a staple of the Warhammer 40K universe, especially where the empire is involved. That's not a piece of Talisman.

I do prefer the Relic peg based stat tracking, those talisman counters are really challenging to keep track of, especially late game with 3-4 of each in strength and craft, with the small, non-highlighted raised numerals.

The route with Busts for figures instead of smaller full height models relates to GW's non-competition clause, I believe, which prevents FFG from making "to scale" products that could in any way be used in the tabletop variants.

My understanding is that it's an entirely different game, just based on the same basic system. I'm assuming you won't be able to mix them. Don't quote me on that, though. As far as Timescape is concerned, I used to use it back in the day, but it really was out of left field and didn't really go well with the rest of the game. That being said, it was kind of fun (my character is suddently going to space! Woo!), so I think making a completely different game based on Warhammer but with the same basic Talisman feel is perfect. The environments have such a different feel that I think keeping them separate is a good idea. Relic and the City Expansion…going to be a good next 6 months or so!

This is a new, separate game, based on the rules of Talisman. There is no 'compatible' with it. There is no reason for it to be compatible. It is a separate and different game based in the Warhammer 40k universe. There is no reason you would want this to be compatible with Talisman.

Its not compatible as it adds an extra stat….cunning