Starting SSU

By SuperAxisSanta, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

Hey I have been gone for a long time so i decided to see if there was anything new…. SSU (yes i know im way behind the curve). So whats the first things I need to get for my SSU army?

I would wait for some bundle of SSU units couse accual prices make my scary:/

I don't think there's a bundle coming….

Ya they are not going to bundle. The first core set was a one off because AEG made them.

OK so with that in mind what should i get?

Depends on your budget, one of everything is a good place to start. If more limited, a helicopter, a KV47 walker and any three boxes of infantry (must have a close combat squad)

If i had limited budget but still want a competitive army i would get 2 basic inf squads, comand squad, attack choppers and the airlift walkers. Then i would think about medium walkers and hero pack. At the end iw ould consider the rest of the stuff.

Major Mishap said:

Depends on your budget, one of everything is a good place to start. If more limited, a helicopter, a KV47 walker and any three boxes of infantry (must have a close combat squad)

Would this list be somewhat equivalent to the 2 armies in the Core Set (Revised)? If not, then what would?

frogimus said:

Major Mishap said:

Would this list be somewhat equivalent to the 2 armies in the Core Set (Revised)? If not, then what would?

I'd say its fairly equivalent.

I just started collecting SSU as well, I'm playing my first games with them tomorrow night, but I but 2 Helo's, 2 KV47 walkers, 2 Fakyeli squads, 1 Drakoni Commissar squad, and the Zverograd expansion set for Koshka and Grand'ma. If you're just looking for a small 100 point starter army I'd go with 1 KV47, a couple infantry squads, and possibly some snipers or commissars.

Sorry if these questions are a bit annoying, but I haven't actually played yet (just ordered the Rev'd Core Set). Does this play straight up point for point or are there synergies I'm missing? Is the following list viable?

Koshka Rudinova

"Grand'ma"

Frontoviki Battle Squad

Fakyeli Close Combat Squad

Ohotniki Rifle Squad

Points-wise, it's within 2 pts of the rev'd core armies…

frogimus said:

Sorry if these questions are a bit annoying, but I haven't actually played yet (just ordered the Rev'd Core Set). Does this play straight up point for point or are there synergies I'm missing? Is the following list viable?

Koshka Rudinova

"Grand'ma"

Frontoviki Battle Squad

Fakyeli Close Combat Squad

Ohotniki Rifle Squad

Points-wise, it's within 2 pts of the rev'd core armies…

Yeah, that would be fine. Normally people set a point limit in which both players cannot exceed.

Just played against them last night and the KV-47 s and Helicopters are defintiley good units. The Faykeli squad is a best when it's mounted in the helicopter and and used to hit hard. The KV-47 walkers with thier howitzers were devastating, especially since they took away my cover. Hope this helps.

Most of the SSU units that have real teeth have yet released. As an army the SSU isn't really competitive without them.

300 points of SSU cost me 197 bucks so I wouldn't exactly call their prices "scary". Out of the new releases, only the attack chopper will be a must have unit for alot of people. A couple of the heroes will be nice as well, although Koshka and Grandma are already pretty **** good, but I see Nikolai getting a lot of action as well as Yana in certain lists.Once people get those walker transport choppers on the table I think they will find them to be underwhelming. People will quickly only be buying the box to get the walker inside and I don't see alot of people flying around with the walkers transported inside… not against good opponents at least. A good opponent will make you pay if you try to put all those walker points in the air for them to be shot down. Realistically, even the attack choppers won't be must have units… even the allies have plenty to take them out of the sky in one volley at this point, though they are a really good unit… they just aren't the "can't play SSU without them" unit. You need commissars for sure, you will likely want some fakyeli to be air cavalry inside the transport chopper which are already available and a great deal… even the chinese volunteers inside the box are really good just because they are 15 points and when combined together by a commisar become quite good for their cost… costing less than most axis aor allied 3 man units… you can have an 11 man horde for the price of an allied/axis 3 man unit who only get 1-2 extra saves. You will likely want a couple units of frontoviki or ohotniki… depending on your playstyle. KV47 walkers are going to be the must haves though… great price, great functionality, great special rules, you name it.

EDIT: For some reason, my browser brought me into the tactics part of the forum instead of the warfare part… Disregard my post… It is meant for warfare players… I don't even play tactics….