Spawning GS, Traveling

By Dain Ironfoot, in Death Angel

Okay, so I just played my very first game of Death Angel (played solo) and found it to be pretty easy (and I didn't lose a single space marine!); given all the comments that this game is tough, I'm assuming I must have messed something up.

What seemed to happen more often than not (and I assume this is normal) is that I would travel at the end of the event phase, after GS had spawned, b/c the event card caused me to spawn the GS and, thus, empty a blip pile.

So, I would travel, any support tokens on the door would kill a corresponding number of GS and I'd not be left with many.

My question is: once I travel to the new location (b/c that happens at the end of the phase that the blip pile is emptied), I don't start the phases over again, do I (meaning, I don't re-spawn GS simply because I traveled)?

I might have also gotten lucky with the teams I pulled with Grey (the attack ability of being able to keep attacking if a hit is rolled); Yellow (able to eliminate any swarm within 1 range, ignoring facing) and Red (attack up to 3 times), which really allowed me to control the GS threat pretty easily.

Either way, I assume I must have missed something -- or gotten extremely lucky!

It sounds like you had the rules correct. A few locations automatically spawn genestealers when you enter them as part of their setup instructions, but most don't. I'll note that Yellow ability only kills up to 3 genestealers, but if you were keeping the swarms in check, this was probably equivalent to eliminating the swarms.

1) 3 squad game is much easier than 6 squad game.

2) Those are the more powerful squads. (Particularly in 3 squad games where Red is at their best). Yellow can be volatile, but when you don't roll zeros they are amazing.

3) This is a game where successes build to more success, but failures cascade into bigger failures. When you don't lose one marine it seems like you weren't even close to dieing. In reality a few more misses early on could have sent you down a completely different path filled with giant swarms of genestealers and never a support token to spare.

For experienced players, the 3 squad game is won most of the time. This typically doesn't happen for first time players, but maybe you're a natural. More likely you were lucky :)

If the problem persists, I prescribe the Tyranid pack.

thanks! i definitely plan to play again…and again, and again! i'm hoping i'm not as "lucky" in the future! hahaha.

Event cards can also shape the game. There are usually tons of "bad" things, but the situation can make a "bad" event manageable. You will know when you've hit the @*%&.

I lost my first 2 solo games, but after i got the hang of it i hardly ever loose, so it was probably a little luck and a little skill. Like the other post says it tends to either go really well or spiral out of control when a,couple of things go wrong. But it sounds like you did it right, so good luvk and have fun!

Hello,

For me, I thought that if the teams are traveling, then you start a new set of phases because you are in a different location. Am I wrong on that? I, too, won my first couple of games before I lost one, and it is true that the event cards can put a twist into the game. I do know that you do not put out any extra Geanstealers unless the new location card tells you so. My thought on starting a new set of phases is this: You are going into a new location, therefore, like the first location, you start a new set of phases because you are seeing a new location for the first time. I hope that makes sense. I have also enjoyed playing the game, and am looking forward to picking up the rest of the expansions and waiting for new ones to come out.

Tim

You do not start the phases over, you continue the phases with whatever would have come next.

Usually blip piles are only emptied in the event phase, and since that is the last phase you will usually start a new round right after you travel. However if you do travel at the end of the action phase because of Stealth Tactics or Teleportarium, then you continue that round with the genestealer attack phase right after you travel.