welcome to lackey !!

By COCLCG, in CoC General Discussion

hi good people.

it may be that i've directed you to this site / forum / address because i've seen you on lackey and was unfortunately busy at the time and didn't have the room or text space available to let you know what we're trying to do within the program.

which is, build a community of friendly and non-competative people who would like to use the program to:

A ) learn the game !! this is the most important goal, to introduce new players and have more experienced players on site to guide these people through both the site itself and the interface interaction, as well as help them with deck building and playing the game. it's a fantastic game, and a lot of us that are lurking around really have no-one to talk to about the strategies and deck building involved, or anyone local to play and trial our new decks against. this is a crying shame, but through this program, especially when in conjunction with SKYPE, it becomes the ideal setting for new players to both watch games in progress and ask questions, and sit down with someone familiar with the game and have a tutorial ( my first was this morning at 4am and lasted 4 hours !! ). during the process, we can patiently help you develop an understanding of the game itself, the interaction between cards, and slow play you through some of the more popular decks you'll come across, and also show you a few very interesting interactions between cards that will really get you're mind thinking on the possibilties within the game, that you won't see within your common 'meta' decks. suggestions can be made about what cards might work well within the deck you wish to play, or which cards can counter the ones you'll face that are within your faction's choices. all in all, a way to get some new players and get them really excited about the game, as its far too easy to play a game, get crushed by some ridiculous combo that you'd never even dreamed of or some super powerful 'meta' deck, without knowing there are certainly ways of preventing this hidden within the cards, and never play again. we certainly don't want this !! yes, you will be surprised, and perhaps a little daunted by the power 'hidden' within some factions, and the virtually unlimited combinations that can be made, but with patience and the ability to 'ride the newbie storm', you will yourself become an experienced and ( although i hate to use the word ) 'competative player'

B ) for those who are more experienced, a place to bring a deck and start the long process of trialling and refining. it is virtually impossible to build a deck and have it running at peak performance straight away, and sometimes it's just interesting to see if an idea works without having to throw it up against something like a 'destruction deck' which will give you no time to grow the strategy and finally build it to a place where it might beat such decks. i would hope that the decks within this community will be 'non-meta' decks, which are so standard that they really require none of this deep dedication to build, grow and refine. it's a wonderful time when one of your ideas is slowly coming to be realised, and equally as wonderful when an opponent plays a combination or a deck style that surprises you and excites your mind with new thinking. i believe myself that to make a deck that is worthy to call your own, it takes a period of weeks if not months of playing many games against many styles, so with each new success / defeat, you can adapt and grow your deck to be a tough opponent in any situation.

C ) and then there are the strategy talks !! while playing in a non-competative, friendly environment ( again much aided with SKYPE ), it is wonderful to talk to other players about what you're doing, what they're doing, and at the end of the game perhaps offer some non-preachy advice on what cards might help in a certain situation that has happened during the game, especially when new players are facing a more experienced players deck. we hope to have an environment that does not gloat over it's victories, or rage over it's defeats, but instead carries on in a humble manner and with the focus on trialling decks and either throwing the idea away, or realising that the deck has potential and simply requires a few modifications to go back and trial again ( as i said this can take quite some time !! ).

i will leave it at this for now, but may add some more details about our community at a later date. as stated, if you have been directed here from lackey, then it may be that it was somebody elses turn for the 'welcome to lackey' cthulhu introduction, but your's will definately come soon if you are patient enough to stick around. at the moment there are only a small few of the 'experienced players' using the site, but as we grow, and new members become more experienced members, the ball will be rolling along nicely. as stated, if you have SKYPE, it will certainly make the process much, much easier, and with time we hope that many languages will be catered for.

at the moment it is most times very quiet in the cthulhu lackey world, but even in the space of a week, a few people have joined together and started really enjoying both the game itself and the opportunities to test new decks, but most importantly make some like-minded friends. a couple of new players have enjoyed the chance to have an introduction to the game, and gone away with a mind full of possibilities and a 'glimpse' into what the game has to offer. with some patience and sometimes just 'lurking on lackey', there will come a time we hope when a lot more people will be involved and games / tutorials will be available at all times.

thank you for your time, i hope you decide to stay and enjoy the offers that have been mentioned above, and see you on lackey !!

+1

that's really great that someone at last have began tryings to rise up the lackey community., espessialy with new pluggin interface that is really cool.

My goals to play via lackey

- i really love the game.

- i do not have local players here at Minsk.

- it's really hard and expensive to get the cards.

So the sum of those factors lead me to lackey and if the player's pool will grow up it will be super.

P. S. skype ID: keaSanya.

I am excited to get some games in on Lackey as more people become aware of the format. It really does open up lots of options, and I am looking forward to some online tournaments and scenarios. On Lackey I use the name "Tosk".

One thing I've wanted to play is a 7 (well, now 8) player game where every player plays a different mono-faction deck so that we can really find out which color will come out on top in a free for all. That could take a long time to organize though, so in the meantime I want to see some theme decks and cool combos.

I'll be watching this forum for announcements of online tournaments.

see the other topic in this forum for other skype addresses

Solomon_Grundy said:

I'll be watching this forum for announcements of online tournaments.

I'll make online tournament when there will be at least 6 players playing often in lackey !

I finally got to play my first game on Lackey last night with a friend of mine who is a new player. There was a little bit of trouble figuring out some things, and about a 5-minute roadblock where I accidentally zoomed my play area somehow and couldn't figure out how to un-zoom it (type "/zoom 100" in the chat box if this happens to you), but overall it went fairly well.

I'm planning on teaching my other local opponent how to play and then we can hopefully play more often as meeting online is easier to arrange than meeting in person. Tonight I have two more brand new players coming over to learn the game and I will tell them about Lackey as well.

COCLCG - I saw you online last night after my game was done but you seemed to already be in the middle of a game. Perhaps next time :)

haha. yes. as i saw you also !! ( but i was too scared to play you - haha ). nah, was in a game, and teaching a bunch of new players myself. the record is 6 players online simultaneously, but i reckon in a week or so we can break the double digits. plenty of times for games, plenty of time for some non - competative friendly fun, and plenty of time to dazzle one another with our sneaky combos.

I was just talking with the owner of Cardgamedb and they're going to be adding a feature where you can save a user submitted deck to various formats including Lackey. Currently you can only do this to your own decks, so this will make it easier for a new player to download Lackey, install the plugin, and grab a sample deck to play with for whatever faction catches their eye. The feature is actually already there for Warhammer: Invasion, he is planning to add it to Cthulhu after Gencon, probably also after the Netrunner stuff goes up.

Turns out we will actually have 4 players here tonight, which is a big get-together for CoC in our neck of the woods. There will be myself, my usual opponent Lee, and the two newbies. In addition to teaching them the game I will be happy to teach them to use Lackey so we can play online more readily. As soon as I get off work today I need to hustle to clean up my game table, bring in a couple more chairs, and whip up some more premade decks for them to use if they want.

ok. it only takes 5 minutes to get up to speed with the rest of us on lackey. so just follow these simple steps :

1 ) install lackey

2 ) in preferences / plug in - put in the following URL in the 'update from URL box'

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/327207/CtuhlhuCcgLcg/updatelist.txt ( WITH the spelling mistake -haha )

3 ) restart lackey now for update to take effect

4 ) once updated, you may need to 'browse installed plug-ins to load one' at top of preferences / plugin. select Cthulhu

5 ) in same panel, click the button 'download all missing card images' and then you'll be there !!

ALT 6 ) install skype as its heaps better playing like this, and we are all linked via this free software to know when others are online. i only use skype for lackey, and only have lackey players in my skype !! you're under no onus to talk, it's just a nice way to get notifications when fellow players are online and maybe up for a game !! addresses can be found here :

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=35&efcid=4&efidt=682965

dboeren said:

I was just talking with the owner of Cardgamedb and they're going to be adding a feature where you can save a user submitted deck to various formats including Lackey. Currently you can only do this to your own decks, so this will make it easier for a new player to download Lackey, install the plugin, and grab a sample deck to play with for whatever faction catches their eye. The feature is actually already there for Warhammer: Invasion, he is planning to add it to Cthulhu after Gencon, probably also after the Netrunner stuff goes up.

Yes i start the topic in card db.com about deckbuilder function, because he don't need to make a complex export tools: lackey need only name card + qty and at least 3 domains name (for thoses prefer playing with domains).

In few days, sadrics will add all my modifications in his "official" link, so you'll need to use the lackey pluggin finder instead of my custom link (i'll post when the change will be done).

If some players use different screen resolution don't fit with the current board, feel free to post here you screen resolution + screenshot, so i'll made other backgrounds.

I was off since two months so i'll made update with new ap for next month.

So, see you on lackey next week with new cards gran_risa.gif

i'll made update with new ap for next WEEK !.

First of all I would like to thank the developers of this program because in my area I have 4 people who I play against and 3 of those players randomly join in and two of those guys don't even have their own collection . So it will be nice to be able to play against other people. I do have skype but no microphone at the moment, but I will still post my skype user name in the appropriate thread anyways :)

I do have one question for all you lackey users. Do you guys mix the CCG with the LCG when building decks or do you focus on just the LCG cards?

I've only played with LCG players so far, but would not have any pb playing with or against a mixed LCG/CCG deck. Unless I'd like to test a deck for an upcoming event.

I really like the look of lackey and I have it set up, but I haven't been able to figure out how to actually use it yet. Does anyone know if there are any tutorial videos on how to actually use lackey in a game?

hi all

im new to the forums and was looking for some help. Ive recently stubled upon this fine looking game and due to having no local gaming group i have no one to play with. I have found lackey and installed the chulhu plug-in. i was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction for a solid starter deck to use one lackey to learn the basic's of the game.

also what is the best way to go about getting beginner games?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

chris