inerested in this game, is it worthy?

By player684030, in Dust Tactics General Discussion

I mostly want to play it table top, the models seem really cool. Is it too basic, is the gameplay too fast, can a few people give me their views on it please, would be greatly appreciated.

VelosaRaptor said:

I mostly want to play it table top, the models seem really cool. Is it too basic, is the gameplay too fast, can a few people give me their views on it please, would be greatly appreciated.

Its fantastic, quick gameplay with easy to pickup rules. And if you want tabletop, there is Dust Warfare which removes the tiles. I've played Tactics for nearly 2 years and Warfare for the 3 months it's been out and they're both some of the best I've ever played in 20 years of gaming

Thanks, yea I didn't know if it was too simplistic or not, I play Warmachine and Darkage and was looking for a war type game where the rules wouldn't make your head explode and have to take an hour to build your list and look through 3 different books like 40k lol. Models look really cool I think I will pick it up tomorrow and dive in. :)

It is absolutely worth the investment of time & money, and the minis are pretty awesome.

Download the PDF of the Revised Rules. Not simplistic, per se, but at the same time not too complicated (so far).

Oh yeah, the games are usu. super-quick and uber-brutal. demonio.gif

I've been playing wargames for some 30 years and have to say this is right there at the top of the favourite lists, its also very addictive as there is such a vast range of different units to try out with new ones being released every other month, I have been playing pretty much every week since it came out - that's a lot of games. The game is dead easy to learn, you won't need the rule book after the first couple of games but it is also a very tactical game and quick to play, if you want better table top visuals to make it look like a normal wargame table then all you have to do is make up some 3D terrain, you can download most bits you need from Boardgame Geek.

Dust Warfare is very different to Dust Tactics and can be confusing if you play both as you have to forget everything you have learn't in Dust Tactics it also takes a lot longer to play. A 320pt DT game will take about 1 - 1 1/2 to play, with DW you are looking at 3 1/2 hours, still a good game but very different.

Major Mishap said:

I've been playing wargames for some 30 years and have to say this is right there at the top of the favourite lists, its also very addictive as there is such a vast range of different units to try out with new ones being released every other month, I have been playing pretty much every week since it came out - that's a lot of games. The game is dead easy to learn, you won't need the rule book after the first couple of games but it is also a very tactical game and quick to play, if you want better table top visuals to make it look like a normal wargame table then all you have to do is make up some 3D terrain, you can download most bits you need from Boardgame Geek.

Dust Warfare is very different to Dust Tactics and can be confusing if you play both as you have to forget everything you have learn't in Dust Tactics it also takes a lot longer to play. A 320pt DT game will take about 1 - 1 1/2 to play, with DW you are looking at 3 1/2 hours, still a good game but very different.

Ill disagree with the time. We can easily get a 300 point game of Warfare done in about2 hours. Tactics is faster, but not by a lot.

Currently we get 3 turns in two hours, we tend to use a lot of terrain and therefore cover, that will slow the game down a lot. :( Just hope that improves with practice. I can't see DW ever getting finished in 2 hours tho without a lot of open space.

Major Mishap said:

Currently we get 3 turns in two hours, we tend to use a lot of terrain and therefore cover, that will slow the game down a lot. :( Just hope that improves with practice. I can't see DW ever getting finished in 2 hours tho without a lot of open space.

We do it on a regular basis with the recommended 25% cover

Just to be sure, I timed our game tonight. 25% cover, and 5 full turns took 2 hours and 10 minutes.

We started playing tournament rules to keep the time down. But depending on who you are playing you can get through a game in 2hrs.
I've never played Tabletop games because the rules have just made my head explode. That said the rules for dust tactics can be just as challenging but are way simpler than Warfare. However, there is a lot of strategy due to the different combination of units (Heroes + Units) you can make for your armies and the way different players will play the same unit. I think for a game that has only been around 2 years there is good depth to the units and the recent release of SSU has changed everything at our game nights. Next year the Vrill (Alien Race) will come out and who knows what that will bring. It is a good to start playing. There are some diehards that have been playing for the last 2 years, but a lot of people just picked up the game due to the Dust Warfare and SSU. So you should be a able to pick it up and be competitive fairly quickly.
On top of all that you have Dust Warfare. For $30 more you have two completely different games. On a week night you can play a couple quick games of Dust Tactics and on the weekend’s setup a time to play through a 2hr game of warfare. FFG does a pretty good job keeping you wanting more. Though they have fumbled the last two months and it is Sad to see Mack leave the Warfare. The Pre-primed or fully painted deluxe miniatures save a lot of time too. Over all I think the combo Tactics and Warfare are hard to beat. Good Luck gaming and look us up on BattleTactics.tv