Conversion of money between 2nd and third edition.

By Disgruntled Owl, in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

I found some great source materials for the prices of items like pets, gems and i noticed that some of the prices seemed crazy high and some quite cheap so i assumed that the exchange rate used to be different but didn't look into it at the time.

Now ive also found a great pdf detailing much of Altdorf and the way city admission works (taking all weapons other than a hand weapon and a dagger and giving you a ticket for the rest) and the gate tax of 1 Gold Coin a leg. Now i did double take at that price and decided to look up what the exchang rate was in 2nd ed and i found this.

1 gold crown = 20 silver shillings = 240 brass

And in third

1 gold crown = 100 silver shillings = 2500 brass

Now if i assume that brass has the same worth in both systems then gold is worth over ten times what it used to be and so the gate tax should be equivalent to 8-10 shillings a leg. But i dont know if brass has the same worth.

It costs 5 brass a day to eat and drink healthily in 3rd.

How much brass does it cost in 2nd?

Could someone help me with converting the value of money between the systems?

Skip the conversion. FFG created entirely new and arbitrary prices so there is technically no conversion.

My house rulebook (see my sig) and LIber Fanatica 8 both have nice equipment lists and I would highly recommend using them.

jh

I agree with you it's a pain to convert, because not only the value of money is different, but the equipment has a different value ratio between 2nd and 3rd (i.e. the spread/ratio between 2 pieces of equipment in 2nd and 3rd is different, even accounting for the exchange rate between 2nd and 3rd).

When I convert an adventure between 2nd and 3rd, I try to imagine what the PCs could have bought with the "reward" in 2nd, and try to find the equivalent equipment price in 3rd… and usually then decrease the reward as it is still too much.

Cheers

Ceodryn

That sounds like the mad alfred Altdorf guide. I am personally trying to do it backwards, 3rd edition to second and it's way out. I think everyones on the money here (hur hur!) in saying that don't bother. What's the most surprising for me in from 3rd to 2nd is pay rates for peasants. According to 2nd ed a peasant has to work for almost a week to buy poor quality clothing! I think your way more broke in 2nd ed than you are in 3rd, that's my rule of thumb.

I still don't understand why they changed the currency system at all. It screws up the compatibility to legacy materials on which wfrp is so dependent. And anyhow, I like weird conversion rates in my RPGs. Nothing says Dark Ages like totally screwy measurements and units. I live in Europe and I get enough of sober decimal systems every day, thankyouverymuch. I'd really love to see the equipment lists in wfrp 3 converted to wfrp 1 so that I can stay withing that monetary system.

To answer your initial question, "average daily food" cost 10 pennies (brass) a day in 2nd edition.

A peasant made 45-75 pennies a week (compared to 12/day in 3rd).

That said, I agree with others that trying to come up with a conversion rate is a mug's game and not best use of time. Just decide on equipment that is fun to have and set prices that feel right given the existing prices. Markets fluctuate so correcting mistakes is easy. Spending time on story etc. is more rewarding than "nailing" the right rate for stuff.

Good to know about the above is that it just converts the money based on the copper value of one gold not considering the change of prices since that would impossible in a roleplaying game. This means some prices wont match when you convert them. I sampled some items, and a 2nd ed shortbow is significantly more expensive than a 3rd ed one. Overall though I think it holds.

In the case of items that exist in both versions (3rd ed is horrible in the lack of detailed pricelists), just use the price in the new books.

Hey there Wrapped
I've been using your excel sheet to help me run my Enemy Within conversion for my The Enemy Within Revisited podcast.
I'd like your permission to host the tool as a resource on my website here:
Cheers
GM Noely