Forbidden Lore

By Cjalw1, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

One of My players is starting a Cult of Slaanesh, they want to "Do it Right" as to please The Prince of Excess.

They are going to take the Skill Forbidden lore (Slaanesh Worship) and (Chaos Worship).

Normally Forbidden lore is a Tzzench Aligned advance, but they raised the Question about it being for Slaanesh.

My Khorne Player also was thinking About the Advance; why Would the Worship of Khorne Count as a Tzzench Advance.

Should God Specific Advances Count towards Tzzench or The god in Question?

Khorne isn't exactly known as the one for knowledge, that's Tzeench's domain, which is why he's got forbidden knowlede skills.

The god/skill system was created to be fairy simple so writers didn't differ between 14 base forbidden knowledges (and many others you can invent), but if you feel that it this one time it should be other god's skill, you are free to make it so (in your case I'm convinced that it's ok).

Same could be done with some other skills/talents (like god specific psychic powers gaining you point towards that god)

Also skills and talents were put into gods quite equally, so a few could be there to even the numbers (and still Tzeench's got the most).

ShadowRay said:

Khorne isn't exactly known as the one for knowledge, that's Tzeench's domain, which is why he's got forbidden knowlede skills.

The god/skill system was created to be fairy simple so writers didn't differ between 14 base forbidden knowledges (and many others you can invent), but if you feel that it this one time it should be other god's skill, you are free to make it so (in your case I'm convinced that it's ok).

Same could be done with some other skills/talents (like god specific psychic powers gaining you point towards that god)

Also skills and talents were put into gods quite equally, so a few could be there to even the numbers (and still Tzeench's got the most).

The Skills you're looking for are Forbidden Lore (Daemonology) for knowledge of the nature of Slaanesh and Scholastic Lore (Occult) for proper rites. There's no reason to invent new specialties.

Also, it doesn't matter what you're studying, your thirst for forbidden lore is pleasing to Tzeentch. The Alignment system doesn't care which god you worship, it only tracks which god's ideals you resemble the most, and thus which god takes interest in you.

Ah thanks Morangias, that makes a lot of sense.

my Khorne player will have to deal with the Opposed cost of the Advance, but Que sera sera he will deal with it if he wants his Cult.

Can't he ask a differently aligned fellow heretic to explain the proper rites to him? Khorne worship ain't rocket science after all.

I can imagine it now:

"uh, hey dirty psyker, what's the proper way to do a ritual to Khorne?"

(After the laughing) "Does 'Blood for the Blood God' ring any bells? Duh! now ask a hard one."

Then they remember why they hate each other again.

Basically there's several ways to run this:

I don't intrinsically think there's anything wrong with "Forbidden Lore (Specific God)" or with that counting as an advance towards Alignment with that God.

Alternatively, you could define the rites and rituals involved with the worship of a particular god as an unaligned Common Lore or Scholastic Lore skill (you're not in the Imperium, after all, and there will be things that every Slaanesh worshiper knows about Slaanesh). Similarly you could fold Rites to the Gods into skills aligned with or appropriate to those gods (like Common Lore: War for Khorne).

Finally, you could simply rule that knowing how to worship the God you worship shouldn't require a skill at all.

I must now roll a Khornite Voidship Engineer.

"Place us in orbit"

"OF COURSE, LORD CAPTAIN. HELMSMAN: CALCULATE THE LITURGIES OF FORCE!"

"f(1/u)=ar FOR THE BLOOD GOD! GMu SQUARED FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!"

Kiton said:

I must now roll a Khornite Voidship Engineer.

"Place us in orbit"

"OF COURSE, LORD CAPTAIN. HELMSMAN: CALCULATE THE LITURGIES OF FORCE!"

"f(1/u)=ar FOR THE BLOOD GOD! GMu SQUARED FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!!"

LET THE ENGINES BUUUUURN!