New player questions

By mikelosaurus2, in Android

I've just picked up the game and I'm reading the rules and I've already run into what looks like a couple of typos:

On p3 the inventory lists 12 Alibi tokens but there were only 11 in the box.

On p33 of the rulebook under 'Warrants it says that entering a restricted area costs a player 2 Time, but on the breakdown sheet on p44 it says entering a restricted location costs 3 Time - which is it?

For the alibis, I do think there was a misprint. As far as restricted lcoations, it requires an "additional" two time, for a total of three. It's not terribly clear, and they do not mention specifically with drop ships & some light cards of the investigators about whether the 2 time also applies. We tend to play it more harshly and always require 2 time extra without a warrant. -MickeyD

The back of the box lists the correct number of Alibi tokens: 11...

After our first play we have some additional questions.

If a player investigator approaches a suspect counter for witness testimony evidence, is the counter left where it is, or is it moved to a new location of the same colour as per document evidence and physical evidence?

What is the setup procedure for investigator NPC tokens? Do they start on the board, or in a player's 'hand'? Also, are NPCs only killed by the resolution of plots, or can they be targeted with hit tokens too?

And what happens if at the end of the game two or more suspects are tied for the highest 'guilty' evidence score? The rules don't appear to make any mention of ties. Should we assume that both suspects are equally guilty, and that two different hunches can be scored? Or is there another way to break the tie?

mikelosaurus said:

After our first play we have some additional questions.

If a player investigator approaches a suspect counter for witness testimony evidence, is the counter left where it is, or is it moved to a new location of the same colour as per document evidence and physical evidence?

What is the setup procedure for investigator NPC tokens? Do they start on the board, or in a player's 'hand'? Also, are NPCs only killed by the resolution of plots, or can they be targeted with hit tokens too?

And what happens if at the end of the game two or more suspects are tied for the highest 'guilty' evidence score? The rules don't appear to make any mention of ties. Should we assume that both suspects are equally guilty, and that two different hunches can be scored? Or is there another way to break the tie?

Testimony leads are moved the same as other leads that are followed-up.

NPC tokens typically start on the Investigator sheets. Various cards will have you move NPC tokens to locations on the board.

As for your third question, I too could find nothing in the rules to deal with ties in determining the murderer. Until something official comes out, you could just rule that both suspects are equally guilty (and therefore each player would receive 15 VP). Another idea would be to count up the actual number of evidence tokens on the suspect sheet (after strong and weak evidence tokens have been removed) and the one who has the most number of tokens is the actual murderer.

But of course whoever has the most number of tokens on them therefore has more low-numbered tokens, and so while the quantity of evidence is more, the quality is much weaker!

The NPCs are primarily affected by plots, but there are a number of Twilight cards that can affect them (a big example are all of Louis' cards that involve fighting Tanaka), as well as some Events that will put them at certain locations.

For the warrant issue, best way to think of it is that, once you arrive, because it's a secure area it takes an additional 2 Time to cut through all of the red tape to accomplish what you actually want to accomplish--so 1 Time to move there, and another 2 Time to get past security (whereas with a warrant you just flash the badge and go past--and of course some Light cards allow you to "sneak in a back door").

Tsugo said:

As for your third question, I too could find nothing in the rules to deal with ties in determining the murderer. Until something official comes out, you could just rule that both suspects are equally guilty (and therefore each player would receive 15 VP). Another idea would be to count up the actual number of evidence tokens on the suspect sheet (after strong and weak evidence tokens have been removed) and the one who has the most number of tokens is the actual murderer.

Actually I believe this IS covered in the rules. The guilty person is then determined by the order on which they appear on the main case card...

Titeman said:

Tsugo said:

Actually I believe this IS covered in the rules. The guilty person is then determined by the order on which they appear on the main case card...

Can you confirm please which page of the rulebook that states this? (I couldn't find it)

It's in the back - on the page that breaks down the sections of the Murder card.

--JJP

Page 45 in the "Murder Sheet Breakdown" under "Lineup"...