Ideas??

By Maruk the Nomad, in The Crystal Ball and The Wishing Well

So if you think that you have a really cool idea, where do you write. Just so that your ideas don't get snatched up by some one, and sold around the creator?? happy.gif

Well, other than writing the idea down here, you can go to the contact page where there is some info about submissions. For a board game or card game, I think unless you do a lot more work and have a working prototype of your game, I doubt you'd get much traction for getting any kind of money from any game company. As far as FFG goes it's even harder since "Fantasy Flight no longer accepts unsolicited board and card game submissions." according to the contact page.

Then I probably won't post anything, or write it here hehe. Was just wondering.

Umm... Not to downplay what must be a truly original concept for you to be guarding it so closely, but I will say that in the video game industry (and I'm assuming it's the same for the boardgame industry) ideas are worthless . It's incredibly easy to come up with a million and one different ideas for games, or for game mechanics. In the grand scheme of things, though, it accounts for less than 1% of the effort that goes into developing a game.

If you had a complete design you wanted to pitch, though, that's a different thing entirely. But until you take your idea and turn it into a working breathing model, it's not something you can sell.

That being said, if you're that concerned about someone stealing your idea, the least expensive way to have legal proof of when you had the idea is to send it to yourself by registered mail and don't open it. That way there's a record of when it was received. Even then, though, it's hard to prove that someone actually stole your idea, especially depending on how vague it is.

My advice is to take your idea and either share it with a company you think will make an awesome game out of it, or build on it yourself, and make your own game, then sell that.

Yeah, I'm in the video game insdustry as well, and ideas are what everybody has. Getting together with a group, or on your own, and protoyping your game and playing it is one of the most rewarding experiences you will ever have. Espcecialy the first time it starts coming together and you realize you are having fun playing something you created.