Making of…

By sverigesson, in X-Wing

I am liking these articles. It finally seems as though Fantasy Flight is indulging our interest in the game and providing tasty morsels for us to salivate over. Every article makes me want to pre-order more stuff!

Well, there we are: 1/270 scale!

And they even call out the TIE Fighter directly (which many here felt looked too big). That was a good preview - I was expecting sizzle, and I got steak. :)

I. J. Thompson said:

Well, there we are: 1/270 scale!

I guessed about 42mm, and it's 46. (Assuming FFG and I used the same base length measurement of 12.6m for the X-WIng.) happy.gif IG-58 will be interested to hear this!

Really nice article. Puts the whole scale question to rest, and I'd have to say I think they went with a good scale.

When they mentioned some surprises I thought for sure they would mention how the ships kept falling apart at GenCon last year, and how they needed to figure out a way to make them more sturdy. I guess I'm still left to wonder.

Nevertheless, excellent article. Loved the behind-the-scenes photo from 1976.

Well, that was an excellent and informative article - and those ships are indeed quite lovely. A bit bigger than expected, too. There is one drawback to this, and that is creation of those larger ships we've been musing about: MF, Slave-I etc.

Interestingly, I had to go and do some measuring, and I think for the (appr) 1/350 Falcon's dimensions F-Toys went with 30m. If you follow that (no one's sure, of course), then the old Revell Pocket easykit of the MF shakes out to… 1/273. Almost exactly what we'd expect to see if FFG decides to go that route!

DogSolitude will get the chance to check this out a bit later.

I really liked that article. Answered a lot of questions. It was cool to see some more angles for the finished models at the end of the article.

IG-58 said:

There is one drawback to this, and that is creation of those larger ships we've been musing about: MF, Slave-I etc.

Even just the B-wing is gonna be pretty honkin' big, and they've pretty much promised to make that one!

For what it's worth, another modelling update for those who are just interested or even want to do their own mods, the Revell pocket easykit of the Sith Infiltrator (the one with optional landing gear) is about 1/265 - also a great match.