Music of the Guard?

By Jkilla41, in Only War Beta

I'm not speaking of "game" music, I'm asking: What would Guardsmen walking through a camp hear?

We all know that music is a human universal. So, then what would the Guard have around I wonder?

-J

Usually music from their homeworld, in most cases. There are some hymns and marches that are close to being Imperium-wise, but much like WW1 and WW2 armies often listened to music from their home nation, 40k IG regiments operate the same way but with homeworlds.

Tanith - Scotland folk music

Vostroyan - Russian folk music

Krieg - WW1 German marches

Vallhallan - WW2 Red Army marches

Armageddon & Mordian - WW2 German marches

Cadia & Elysia - WW2 US army marches

Maccabeus Quintus - Gregorian choral music

Harakoni Warhawks - Aliens or Band of Brothers soundtrack

Thats what I would use as background in my sessions…

Yes, basically like the other posters have said.

I would find the nearest historical model you can to the regiment/planet you are depicting and run with that (i.e. Red Army Choir for Valhallans, etc).

Well, that is what I would do.

When we did a Dark Heresy campaign set in a warzone with some very Red Army-like Imperial guard we cracked out the Red Army Choir on Youtube (you can even find Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, in the late 80s singing with them somewhere) and it got everyone in the mood, but then they bonded with all the faceless goons, and got very uppity/sad with the officers when loads of them got shot (either by the Eldar or by the commissars)… which may be a desired effect (nothing wrong with moral questions)

Anyway, a good old sing-song is always jolly.

All best,

David.

Catachan - Rambo soundtrack, The Doors, Ramones… Vietnam War era hits… :)

There's also other military sf stuff to 'borrow' from.

There's a lot of filk based on the Dorsai books for example and some of it ports easily into guard songs. "Green hills of Harmony", "Jaques Cretian" or "Soldier Ask not" for example.

Also I recommend songs of David Kincaid (American Civil War music mostly Confederate songs) and John Tams (Sharpe TV series) as a good inspirational music. As an overall music for bacground I suggest James Horner (Aliens sountrack), Hans Zimmer (Gladiator soundtrack), Adam Harvey (Ultramarines soundtrack), Dead Can Dance (Lisa Gerrard) and works of Keiki Kobayashi (Sony Playstation music composer, most notable song Unsung War from Ace Combat 5).

i imagine them listening to 1940's music hall which has been put through a techno-machine. techno greta garbo.

"O'er the hills and o'er the main, through Tanith, Verghast, and Jago - The Emperor commands, and we obey, o'er the hills and far away."

Well what about music by Barry Sadler, I have heard a number of versions of Ballad of the Green Berets, for a # of different units. Plus a # of his songs can fit in anywhere.

Mordians and Praetorians (and other regiments of Line Infantry) need a "Men of Harlech" (replace with homeworld/warzone to taste), or some other Napoleonic/Victorian British military march (pretty much any military march from the period should fit).

I think that Guardsmen and Space Marines both listen to Bolt Thrower.

It'd obviously vary by regiment.

I think martial industrial would actually be a valid music choice for some regiments.

Apothecary Gordian said:

Ha! That made me chuckle. Now I've got to listen to some Bolt Thrower and get my fix…

Just an aside, I've been listening to "The Hunt for Red October" soundtrack and think that the main hymn would be awesome for an IG regimental song. The translated Russian lyrics are actually kinda cool too.

Apothecary Gordian said:

Maybe some Manowar as well.

-=Brother Praetus=-

Well I think there would be a big difference between what was sanctioned for them to play/sing/listen to, I think that like real wars they would use tunes they know (often hymns and so on) and add new words, I'll give you some classic examples from WW1 which would work I think:

-They were only playing leap frog (

-The old battalion (

-If the sargent steals your rum never mind (

-The bells of hell go ting-a-ling-a-ling (

-I want to go home (

-When this lousy war is over (though I remember my family singing it as "when this bloody war is over" or worse… (

-Ragtime infantry (

-Forward Joe Soap's Army (

-Bombed last night (

-Oh It's a Loverly War (

-We're 'Ere because We're 'Ere (

I've used the What a Loverly War versions as they are excelent (good film as well).

skatingtortoise said:

i imagine them listening to 1940's music hall which has been put through a techno-machine. techno greta garbo.

If that's a style of music you'd like to hear in reality, there's a great group called Caravan Palace…

and a broader genre known as "Electro Swing"

I recently found this just change country for Emperor and soldier for guardsman and you have a nice IG marching song