RTL Hero Tips

By Dalsarius, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hello All,

I just wanted to get some tips for heroes as my buddies and I have recently started the RTL campaign. It seems like each dungeon level takes 2-3 hours to get through. Is this normal? We have played for two nights and have moved from tamalir to a dungeon and we just now reached the 3rd level. As it stands right now, the heroes have 17 CT and the OL has 21CT. Our party consists of Nanok, Varikas, Silhouette and Mad Carthos, I do not have a list of the starting skills right now.. I was just wondering what we, the heroes, should be focusing on in the copper level in order of importance. Any advice and tips would greatly be appreciated. The OL is the beastlord.

Thanks,

Dalsarius

Short answer, focus on getting gold and denying the Overlord XP, particularly at crucial amounts (such as right before he has enough to upgrade a monster category or purchase Event treachery for Crushing Blow, etc.)

Longer answer:

There are two things the heroes need to understand in RtL:

1. You control the rate at which the game progresses.

2. Gold is what limits your growth, not conquest points.

As such, you should read this strategy article from over on Board Game Geek which builds these two ideas into a coherent strategy for heroes early on in the Advanced Campaign.