Suppressive Fire

By signoftheserpent, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

I don't do house rules unless it is absolutely necessary. The rules as written should always work - that is after all why we pay for them. If i didn't want to use rules as written I wouldn't have brought all the books and would write my own 40k rules. I am not against other people house ruling; that is upt to them. But I find it bizarre that people on one hand buy the books and are then quite happy to throw the contents out of the window.

Rules also need to be written as clearly and as concisely as possible. This is something that FFG has yet to master. They have great setting ideas and clearly the means to great production values (editing/playtesting aside). Unfortunalely they are not adept at presenting rules. If rules work in a way that seems counter intuitive to what they are trying to emulate or represent then there is a problem. The reason why suppressive fire requires an automatic weapon is precisely because of how I have described the tactic: you are laying down continuopus fire to an area to keep it suppressed. You can't do this with a single shot and the rules acknnowledge this. So therefore it is logical to assume this, as a full action, is what you are doing for the entire turn. If that is not the case then there is no penalty for attacking the suppressor and forcing him to dodge, it won't stop him suppressing the area in question because he has already stopped, as far as the rules are concerned.

Let's get real here. You can't fire ANY weapon on autofire, AT ALL, hosing down an area or not, in a single instant. For that matter, you can't walk from place to place in a single instant. And people don't do it in order, one after the other. Yet you do in the game, because you have to, because turn-based games do not granulate things down to the millisecond.

bogi_khaosa said:

Let's get real here. You can't fire ANY weapon on autofire, AT ALL, hosing down an area or not, in a single instant. For that matter, you can't walk from place to place in a single instant. And people don't do it in order, one after the other. Yet you do in the game, because you have to, because turn-based games do not granulate things down to the millisecond.

signoftheserpent said:

This is where I find it confusing: if you did use suppressive fire as an action on consecutive turns in this way, it would still, according to the above reading of the rules, be broken up.

Yes, it would. Consider the following example:

An explosion has occured, and your character is running for their lives to escape the expanding fireball. It makes perfect sense for your character to continuously run at full speed. However, ina battle situation, this would be represented by a turn of running, followed by other players turns, and probably at the end of the round the DM having the wall of flame advance. The way you are interpereting actions, this means that the characters are literally running forward and stopping, over and over again, since running is not an extended action. However, it is obvious to all that this is not the case: the character is running at full speed continuously.

Just because an action is not an extended action does not mean it is not, narratively, continuous. Or, to not use a quadruple-negative: The Narrative, the actual events that the rules are meant to represent, don't give half a **** about how the rules themselves are interpreted. If use Suppression turn after turn, then as far as I'm concerned your character is continuously putting shots downrange.

And if this isn't a satisfying enough explanation? Houserule it to make it an extended action. Yes, I read your post about "the rules as written should always work." That's an overly idealistic notion: The deveopers created a system that they thought was fun. And that's good. Thing is, not everyone finds the same thing fun. And you know what? That's okay. If the system is generally fine, but has one thing that irks you, there's nothing wrong with changing that rule if it makes it more fun for everyone. That's what the POINT of tabletop games is, after all. Hell, the developers of almost every system I've ever looked at acknowledge that house rules are sometimes necessary; hunt around the Black Crusade book and you'll find a sentence to that effect somewhere.

Also, what you're paying for isn't "a set of rules that works". You're paying for the developers doing the work of setting up a system for you rather than having to do it from scratch yourself, that they think will be a good tool for playing a tabletop game set in the Warhammer 40k universe.

Anyway, that's my two(thousand) cents. Sorry if I seem a little irate, I'm a little low on sleep at the moment.

SilverFayte has it right. In more professional terms: the map is not the territory .

It's a game mechanic.

The people who get pinned are only determined when the action is taken. the RAW are pretty straightforward… If you want to suppress someone who moves into the previously suppressed area/arc, then do the action again on your next turn and re-determine targets/victims.