No love for Runebound from FFG?

By Tony P., in Runebound

I just read the Realms of Terrinoth 2012 report. Not a mention of Runebound, the game that kicked off the shared setting for it all. What gives FFG? Is Runebound slowly being put out to pasture.

Times are tough so I know if sales are low then we probably can't expect to see new products. I think the last one was Mists of Zanaga. (Which was GREAT IMHO)

Still a little bit of online support would be nice. Maybe a new scenario like the one given out at one of the previous Realms events. It was a fun little one or two page scenario.

I know I can make my own scenarios and there are also plenty of homebrews for download here and at BGG, but a little official support wouldn't hurt would it?

Is Runebound support officially off the table for now?

Just wondering…

Not officially, at least not by anything I've heard.

TI3 went at least 5 years in between the first and second expansion sets, though, so I wouldn't read too much into the lack of new content for RB. They're just taking their time and focusing on other games for now. RB is solid, it can coast for a while without derailing itself. It also doesn't suffer too much from the rising cost of plastic, since the hero figs are the only plastic it contains.

I'm glad that the Terrinoth universe is still being used as FFG's house fantasy setting. If it can keep momentum then some more RB goodness is inevitable.

I'm supporting it all by loving my Rune Age game and anxiously awaiting the first expansion. Any fan of RB that hasn't checked it out should. It is a deck building game with more direct player interaction and conflict than most. The game is played through four different scenarios that each alter the rules and victory conditions of the game. The game types range from co-op to a cold war type game to full on Runewars. Two of the scenarios are made with a solo option.

If enough Terrinoth games sell then maybe we'll eventually see an actual RPG for the setting.

I only wish products would be in print. I'm a very latecomer to the party and can't pick up much of anything other than the big boxes (but am grateful for that as they seem to be the meatiest and most rewarding). I can't even pick up class decks because I cannot find enough for the players who play and spiritbound is, at this time, the only one in print.

I'm sure I'll reach a point of saturation where I want even more expansion but I"m currently just trying to obtain what others already have and it has been an abysmal process.

Lastly, I see folks playing with characters (online) I do not have. I totally love the concept of hero cards which span from one game to the next. (AKA Dungeonquest provides runebound and Descent player cards so you can use those chars in other games.)

schmoo34 said:

I only wish products would be in print. I'm a very latecomer to the party and can't pick up much of anything other than the big boxes (but am grateful for that as they seem to be the meatiest and most rewarding). I can't even pick up class decks because I cannot find enough for the players who play and spiritbound is, at this time, the only one in print.

I'm sure I'll reach a point of saturation where I want even more expansion but I"m currently just trying to obtain what others already have and it has been an abysmal process.

Lastly, I see folks playing with characters (online) I do not have. I totally love the concept of hero cards which span from one game to the next. (AKA Dungeonquest provides runebound and Descent player cards so you can use those chars in other games.)

I hear you. I too am also trying to gather up as much as I can before it's all gone. I originally thought I had all of the time in the world to buy the expansions. Then when I went to look online I found out that they are all out of print now. I am only thankful that I started before they were all gone. I'm pretty happy that I obtained all of the class decks since some of them are really hard to find now.

Hopefully, FFG will some some love to Runebound. Granted, I really don't see them doing anything with it for awhile. llorando.gif

I am very interested in playing Runebound but very hesitant on buying because of the fact that there has been no news lately. All I need is an announcement that there will be a reprint or a new expansion and I am sold. Heck even say that they are discontinuing it so I can buy up whatever they have left, although that is not what I want. I just know as soon as I buy it, they will announce 3rd edition. Anyway I am hoping for some news or rumor that something is in the works. Guess I'll just have to wait it out.

Metraen said:

I am very interested in playing Runebound but very hesitant on buying because of the fact that there has been no news lately. All I need is an announcement that there will be a reprint or a new expansion and I am sold. Heck even say that they are discontinuing it so I can buy up whatever they have left, although that is not what I want. I just know as soon as I buy it, they will announce 3rd edition. Anyway I am hoping for some news or rumor that something is in the works. Guess I'll just have to wait it out.

I guess this becomes a matter of time and budget, etc. Let's say they do announce a new 3rd edition. You are looking at 2013 before it would arrive (at the earliest) so are you saying you are willing to wait over a year? Some folks are…so that isn't a biggie if you are in that camp.

But in the meantime, I must tell you that you are missing out on a great game. I did pick up some of the smaller adventure variats (scion, and cult of the rune) and they do add some variety to the game but I've found the big boxes like frozen wastes and sands to be good fun. And, I guess my point is that you are missing out on a great game in the meantime.

The only complaint…other than some of my gaming group being in their upper 40s and can't read the small text on the cards very well…is that the game seems to take a long time and I'm constantly reducing the # exp points it takes to level up.

I am going to introduce the 1,2,3,4,5 rule where you lvl up at each of those xp levels until you hit 5 or 6 and then it caps out there and see how that goes.

Bottom line, though. It is a great game…you will wait a long time for 3rd edition even if they announced it tomorrow. Also, with Descent: Journey in the dark out, the 18 new heroes from runebound can be used in that game as well…it makes it all good fun.

schmoo34 said:

Metraen said:

I guess this becomes a matter of time and budget, etc. Let's say they do announce a new 3rd edition. You are looking at 2013 before it would arrive (at the earliest) so are you saying you are willing to wait over a year? Some folks are…so that isn't a biggie if you are in that camp.

But in the meantime, I must tell you that you are missing out on a great game. I did pick up some of the smaller adventure variats (scion, and cult of the rune) and they do add some variety to the game but I've found the big boxes like frozen wastes and sands to be good fun. And, I guess my point is that you are missing out on a great game in the meantime.

The only complaint…other than some of my gaming group being in their upper 40s and can't read the small text on the cards very well…is that the game seems to take a long time and I'm constantly reducing the # exp points it takes to level up.

I am going to introduce the 1,2,3,4,5 rule where you lvl up at each of those xp levels until you hit 5 or 6 and then it caps out there and see how that goes.

Bottom line, though. It is a great game…you will wait a long time for 3rd edition even if they announced it tomorrow. Also, with Descent: Journey in the dark out, the 18 new heroes from runebound can be used in that game as well…it makes it all good fun.

You know you make a very good point. Like you said, it will be at least a year or so before it comes out, even if they do announce it tomorrow. I think I will get my money's worth even if it is for that long. I do have Descent 2E and the conversion kit so it will add to that as well. It always looked like a good game to me and from your advice it sounds like I am missing out, so you have sold me on it.

Thanks for your input! Helped me make a decision I have been wrestling around with for quite some time now.

Metraen said:

schmoo34 said:

Metraen said:

You know you make a very good point. Like you said, it will be at least a year or so before it comes out, even if they do announce it tomorrow. I think I will get my money's worth even if it is for that long. I do have Descent 2E and the conversion kit so it will add to that as well. It always looked like a good game to me and from your advice it sounds like I am missing out, so you have sold me on it.

Thanks for your input! Helped me make a decision I have been wrestling around with for quite some time now.

If you are ever in Minnesota, you will be welcome to join me for a game or three. :) I hope I didn't steer you wrong, but I do truly enjoy Runebound and all of the Terrinoth games. Dungeonquest is my least favorite only because people can die on the first turn and it makes gaming groups unhappy.