Adding more players

By ChrisPlaysGames, in Battles of Westeros

Hey!

My housemate and I own the BOW base set, but we are of course unable to play it with our two other housemates, which is just a little unsociable. This may sound a little dumb, but I was wondering if any of the expansions actually allow for more people to play? I'm assuming the House Baratheon set does, but was wondering if the Wardens of the North/West, House Tully, Tribes of the Vale and Brotherhood Without Banners sets will allow for us to have to have a four player game.

Cheers :)

At it's core, BoW is a 2-player game, balanced and meant to be played that way.

The board size and scenarios shows that.

But, with a second board it could be possible to play with 4, 2vs2 teams easily (like Op. Overlord in Memoir '44). The thing is though, until House Baratheon expansion is released, finding a second board would be difficult.

You could try with just the base game but the board would be rapidly cluttered with 3 or 4 armies.

Nothing prevent you from trying though and post some feedback here!

You can also play a skirmish with 2 commanders, and divide them among you.

That means you have to share some decisions with your team mate (using order tokens and usually who gets the 3rd card), but there is nothing that suggests this approach wont be fun despite both members of each team being co-dependent.

You could also do the same for any scenario involving 2 commanders per side, although you will end up with more uneven amount of troops that way (in most cases).

The multiplayer rules that are on the way, work similar to this (as far as I have seen from previews), but are more formal and structured on who gets access to what.

North_Wolf said:

You can also play a skirmish with 2 commanders, and divide them among you.

That means you have to share some decisions with your team mate (using order tokens and usually who gets the 3rd card), but there is nothing that suggests this approach wont be fun despite both members of each team being co-dependent.

You could also do the same for any scenario involving 2 commanders per side, although you will end up with more uneven amount of troops that way (in most cases).

The multiplayer rules that are on the way, work similar to this (as far as I have seen from previews), but are more formal and structured on who gets access to what.

If you own the House Baratheon expansion, and thus have two mapboards, I think it would be much more fun to combine the boards into a 2-mapboard sized game board. What I want to try is taking two of the skirmish cards and using one of them for each "half" of this double-sized mapboard. Assigning the momentum token might be tricky, and balancing out a couple of other things might require some house rules, but otherwise I think it is very possible to do this.

A couple of initial thoughts:

a) Command Cards could only be used with one's own Leaders

b) Order tokens could only be used with units in one's own "half" (as in right side vs left side) of the mapboard

c) Both sets of Instant Victory conditions would have to be met for auto-victory (or maybe only one set, depends, have to think on this more)