Where to start off?

By ertai999, in Warhammer Invasion Community

OK so a couple of friends and I are thinking of picking up the Warhammer Invasion game…

However, since there have been loads of big sets and expansions released… where should we start off?

Ideally we would all buy the same selection of sets/expansions so we'd have an level playing field etc.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

If you're not already familiar with the game, just get the core set for now. Once you're ready to expand your card pool and try your hand at deckbuilding, get the deluxe expansions next, they offer the most bang for the buck. Assault on Ulthuan first, it adds two factions to the core set's four. Then March of the Damned and Legends.

Something to keep in mind is that the core set, Assault on Ulthuan, and the first six battle packs did not contain three copies of every card. So if you want to get highly competitive, at some point you might want to get one or two additional core sets in particular. You'll probably benefit more from first expanding your card pool further though, with battle packs.

So I'm new to this too, but would like to carry on playing, and possibly get competitive at my club. It seems like a big leap though, and obviously it may take a bit of convincing people to get onboard, has anybody got any tips for getting a group of people to start playing? I.e is it worth splitting the core set? What expansions are good and is it possible to make multiplayer games viable?

Depends on the group of people. If they like the Warhammer setting, or grim fantasy in general, if they like other deckbuilding / CCG / LCG games, if they are comfortable investing in a game before they know if they like it …

In general, I would simply regularly bring the game to your game nights or club meetings or whatever you have, and gently encourage people to try it. If they like it, let them keep playing with your cards, while introducing them to the idea of deckbuilding, until they express an interest in getting their own core set (or more). If the financial aspect is an issue and you are comfortable not all having access to all factions, a group can split the core set and the expansions to save money.

As for which expansions are good - all of them. :) As a beginner, you will get the most value out of the deluxe expansions though, starting with Assault on Ulthuan.

There are no official multiplayer rules, but a whole lot of fan-made rules which can be found either here or in the BoardGameGeek Invasion forums. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, but everyone I know who's interested in multiplayer Invasion seems to have found a ruleset that works for them, so you shouldn't have problems there.

Cool, cheers for the advice, I think they'll like it, just got to get them to part with their money!! ;)

Has anybody found some decks are easier to get people to use first time than others? There's some quite complex stuff in the nitty-gritty so which ones are best for beginners?

If you had more than just the core set, you could probably find some simpler cards to replace the more complicated ones of the core set with. On the other hand, you don't want people to get the wrong impression, have the game come off as too simplistic. So I'd just play a the core rules suggest, with the core set faction decks with random neutrals. If you get an expansion or two, you can simply add those cards. As your card pool expands, you can try deckbuilding. There's also the draft variant described in the core rules, which is fun, but drafting does take time and it becomes impractical with a large card pool.

As to which of the core set decks individual players prefer, I'd match them to their personality and play styles. Orcs have a humorous element and a very direct approach, Dwarfs are good at defense and the long game, Empire is for the strategic minds, and Chaos has a destructive approach and big creatures.

Hey, it went really well, pretty sure I'll get a few expansions next, the deluxe ones probably.

Just one question we had was what are you entitled to do 'in response'? We took a vote and said that only tactics & card actions could be added to the stack, but being magic players there could have been some shenanigans with that? Also can you add actions as the stack resolves?

Glad to hear it went well.

If you're used to Magic, timing in Invasion shouldn't be too difficult to grasp. Basically, only Actions form chains/stacks. If you trigger an action, I can trigger one in response (or not), then you can respond, then me again, and so on, until we both pass consecutively. Then the chain resolves in reverse order (LIFO). While the chain is resolving, you cannot trigger new actions.

Constant and forced effects don't form chains, and you cannot respond to them, they are triggered and then immediately resolved.

For more, check out the timing structure in the FAQ. It works like a flowchart.

@Jusmark:

I know I'm two months late to this thread, butI'll throw in my two cents.

I started playing right around the same time you did. I've introduced the game to my friends (I don't live too near the game store so playing there doesn't happen too often). IMO, Dwarfs and Orcs seem to be the two "easiest" decks for people that you are introducing to the game. Empire does take more of a tactical mind, and I've found that the whole "control" aspect of Chaos can prove kind of tricky for guys just learning it. Then again, could just be my friends are morons ;)

I've tried to get them to get comfortable with one of those two races, and then after a few nights when they seem to really get it, let them take their pick.

As for multiplayer, the rules we really like for 4 player are destruction vs order, 2 on 2. You have to burn 4 of your opponents zones to win (2 from each, or 3 and 1, either way).

Have fun!