Damaging Cover with BFG's

By vogue69, in Game Mechanics

Did I miss that somewhere in the book? or how do I blow **** up?

Damaging cover is good and right but I don't want to shoot the wooden crate 4 times with a vanquisher cannon until it's gone. Even demolition charges and the demolition skill don't cover that topic.

In the final event of the adventure

spoiler

the mek would have to shoot that wall (AP 16) at least 16 times with his missile launcher for it to crumble.

I think that should be clarified somewhere in this book because the PC's are VERY cover dependent.

I imagine most GMs will rule that certain weapons destroy cover more thoroughly than just punching a single hole through it. That said, some rules may be nice. Maybe if an attack does double a piece of cover's AP after reduction it's totally destroyed? That way fragile stuff will get shredded by a solid hit, wheras plasteel will hold up well for the first few hits but be susceptible to instant destruction once it's been weakened.

Talking of cover, I noticed that characters taking cover get a bonus to their Dodge tests. Is this meant to be the case, stacking with the usual benefits cover provides?

Seconded - there should be some rule about cover and excessive force. I'd suggest:

If a cover is hit by an attack with more damage than its AP, reduce AP by one.

If a cover is hit by an attack with more damage than twice its AP, reduce AP by four.

If a cover is hit by an attack with more damage than thrice its AP, the cover is considered destroyed.

(For larger pieces of cover, the reduction covers an amount of space equal to the Blast trait of a weapon, but at least one metre. A character will have to spend at least one half action to move to a non-destroyed piece of cover if he wants to regain the full protection.)

why not just make it a summ of all previous to AP number? and to damage AP for at least 1AP you need to score damage of first two highest numbers

I mean for AP 16 to become AP 15 is 31dmg or 45dmg to become AP 14 -- that makes the destruction of AP 16 wall in a total of 136dmg for single hit (attainable only by, dunno, titans maybe?), but makes destruction of AP 4 a deal of 10 dmg (one shot from shotgun). Besides Blast weapons should double damage for this purposes only, and there should be some penalties for pistols and maybe even basic while giving pluses for X type of damage and Vehicle weapons