Grappling figure moves

By BerserkOL, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Hi all,

my group is new to Descent and we need clarification about some rules, so I hope you can help us.

By using “search” I have seen similar discussions but nothing that explain exactly what I’m looking for.

If a figure (hero or monster) is adjacent to an enemy with the Grapple ability he is grappled.

But, what does happen to the Grappled figure when the Grappling figure moves to another square: the Grappled figure moves with the Grappling enemy or does the Grappled stand still, so if the Grappling figure moves in a square that is no more adjacent to the enemy, the enemy becomes free and is no more in Grapple?

For the answer: does change something if the Grappling figure moves by using his movement points, for a normal activation with an advance action (for example), or if the Grappling figure is moved by a Knockback enemy’s attack or by other things like Telekinesis ability.

If the grappling figure moves such that he is no longer adjacent to his grappled victim, the victim is free from the effects of Grapple. The victim does not get pulled along with the grappler.

This is true regardless of how or why the grappling figure moves (ie: moves by itself or is forced to move as a result of some effect, like Knockback.)

Incidentally, the victim can also be moved by effects like Knockback, and if he lands in a space that is not adjacent to the grappler, he's free. Grapple prevents the victim from moving of his own accord, but not from being moved by other effects.

Thank you for the answer. You have saved me from a headache and from wasting 15 minutes of our next session by discussing how should grapple be ruled. :D