Guardsman Pay

By Eradico Pravus, in Game Mechanics

Do Guardsmen receive payment? If so, what sort of currency do they get? Is there a standard sort of Imperium currency or does it vary from sector to sector (or planet to planet)?

I would assume they receive payment, otherwise they wouldn't be able to visit the local houses of ill repute - and what kind of soldier's life would that be?

Alternatively, the money could be sent to relatives.

The main payout of their career would obviously come when they leave the guard - preferably not in a casket, but as the new nobility of an overthrown planet.

I would guess that they get some sort of Basic imperial Currency based on the Sector / Planet they´re on.

Normaly they get paid out when they rotate from front line duty to rest and refit on another planet.

OK, thanks. This will help when running my game's Penal Colony unit. I already see them trying to buy/cheat/gamble/steal their way into better equipment. demonio.gif

Eradico Pravus said:

OK, thanks. This will help when running my game's Penal Colony unit. I already see them trying to buy/cheat/gamble/steal their way into better equipment. demonio.gif

If they're from a Penal Colony, then no, they probably don't get paid. Penal Legions are press-ganged into service, and their only payment is that they get to redeem themselves in the eyes of the Emperor, earning them a place at His side when they die.

MILLANDSON said:

Eradico Pravus said:

If they're from a Penal Colony, then no, they probably don't get paid. Penal Legions are press-ganged into service, and their only payment is that they get to redeem themselves in the eyes of the Emperor, earning them a place at His side when they die.

Ah, but they're inmates. And inmates will create their own shadow economy. And if they get to interact with others, they'll use those skills,…and most likely to grift, IOW to run scams to get those items they are normally denied.

MorganKeyes said:

MILLANDSON said:

Eradico Pravus said:

Ah, but they're inmates. And inmates will create their own shadow economy. And if they get to interact with others, they'll use those skills,…and most likely to grift, IOW to run scams to get those items they are normally denied.

Well yes, that is indeed the case. I was purely talking about payment from the Imperial Guard for their services - as in, normal Guard would be paid at least enough to allow them to engage in R&R, and penal legionnaires wouldn't (but wouldn't let that stop them from sorting out their own fun in their black market).

MILLANDSON said:

Eradico Pravus said:

Although I'd argue that even a Penal Legion is "payed" after at least some missions in "luxury" goods such as a bit of recaf or some LHO sticks to keep moral at managable levels (not at high levels mind you, just enough that you don't have to shoot all of them until moral improves).

MILLANDSON said:

MorganKeyes said:

MILLANDSON said:

Eradico Pravus said:

Well yes, that is indeed the case. I was purely talking about payment from the Imperial Guard for their services - as in, normal Guard would be paid at least enough to allow them to engage in R&R, and penal legionnaires wouldn't (but wouldn't let that stop them from sorting out their own fun in their black market).

But depends if you want to track an individual Guardsman's funds by individual Crowns,…or wish to use a more abstract system to account for what they can acquire. M'self, probably go for the latter.