The Autogun and the Horror of Full-Auto

By Pope Innocent, in Game Mechanics

So, what happens when you hit with full-auto and you have an autogun? Do you roll damage for each hit? So lets say you hit 9 times. Do you wait while the player rolls his dice over and over?

The worst part of Deathwatch was waiting while the Heavy Bolter resolved his damage scores. Could some simple rule be introduced to eliminate this? For example, the initial damage roll repeats for each shot (minus righteous fury)?

If you're playing a game with six players, then waiting for one person to resolve 9 dice throws while you know that next turn you're going to Improve Cover then watch as the whole thing happens again is perhaps the definition of dull. IMO.

I seriously doubt someone is going to consistently get 9-10 DoSs without some pretty serious cheese. Also, that thing chews through ammo, and unless your stockpiling stuff outside of your standard kit, you can't really keep that up for too long.

But yes, it would be 9 damage rolls. However by then, the GM might as well reveal the target value, and ask the player to just report on how much they need to subtract/add to any given dice roll. If rolling a die 9 times and adding a number is that hard…

If players want to speed it up, then just assume a roll of 5 on each d10 (lower end of probability, the price you pay for speeding it up).

Don't forget they changed the rules for autofire… it is now -10 to hit instead of +20.
Full auto is more dangerous but you have less chance of succes.

Also, Deathwatch devastators would generally BS40+, and be firing at hordes or really, really big stuff, giving a further +30 or more to hit, so they'd be at an (effective) BS90 or more. A totally accurate burst is not unreasonable.

A Heavy Gunner, by comparison, is in the best case going to have his Comrade Stabilize the gun (+0) and aim (+10) for a net BS of more like 40-50. Also, more importantly, he's carrying a guard-issue heavy bolter, not an Angelus-calibre one. This means he's only rolling 1D10 (admittedly Tearing), which speed up resolving each hit markedly.

Not to mention much simpler righteous fury rules.

Oh, yes. Also not to mention the go-go-gadget Hellfire shells.

I agree in principle.

The calculating of damage for multiple hits does indeed take time, especially at higher levels when DoS tend to increase.

This is also why I dislike the current Scatter-rules. A straight bonus to DMG and to-hit seem more appropriate for Scatter. But that's another thread :)

I have no idea what this would do for balance, but would a bonus DMG of x per het work? The value of X might be different for various weapons.

For example, the autogun might say it scores +2 DMG pr extra hit. Roll to hit, succeed with 2 Dos. This means you roll regular damage, and add 4 to the total DMG. (2 DoS * 2 Dmg).

This would mean auto-fire would do more damage vs high soak enemies. Is that a bad thing?

Traveller does something similar with burst fire - adding the auto rating to the gun's damage.

It's a quick system, but it has the…not exactly downside but wierdness…of burst fire being able to hurt something which no individual round in that burst could have hurt.

I dunno. I don't think full auto takes that long - cutting down the number of hits, and the number of dice rolled per hit, means it's much less of a big deal to me.

I'm satisfied with how autofire currently works.

I really like how they simplified Lightning Attack. One attack roll and you just do many hits as your DoS up to your weaponskill bonus. Much faster than having to resolve 3 separate attack rolls. Also gives it a more graceful and skilled aspect that helps separate it more from the accurate but more aggresive Furious Assault method.

it really should not take that long plus as the gm if your random ork boy gets hit 9 times you can allways save time and just say. Ok you waste him forget damage he is the orky equivilent of swiss cheese.

On the subject of scatter quality I am wondering why they went back to the old extra DOS scatter after they swapped it to a bonus to hit in close with extra damage at PB and lower damage at long range like it is in black crusade.