Mixed Regiments

By Frankie, in General Discussion

So, one thing I think alot of people are doing are mixed regiments, doing Last Chancers kind of regiments.

Any one have any experiences with that so far?

I'm going to do that in my campaign. Two Skitarii, two from a Void Ship sent down because the planetary campaign was in desperate need of boots on the ground and two Imperial Guardsmen. One player is undecided.

Another course of mixed regiments would be if two (or more) reduced strength regiments were joined together to make a theoretically full strength regiment.

I would suggest that FFG add a portion in Regimental Creation that states something along the following: (on Page 33 maybe, between the end of Special Equipment Doctrines and before Standard Regimental Kit)

From time to time two different regiments are beaten to the point of near destruction while fighting the many wars of the Emperor. Often to bring the two back to battle readiness they can be combined, for example the Cadian 212 Line Infantry and Cadian 415 Line Infantry would become the Cadian 218/414 Line Infantry but would function the same and little would change for the men involved. They may be given a new designation as well. Often the higher ups try to keep home worlds and regimental types the same, and though this isn’t always possible, they would never join regiments that did not match up on at least one (Home World or Regiment Type). In the case where regiments from different back grounds are forced into a new joint regiment there are several options, one of the common practices is creating new mixed squads that will eventually form a new style all their own… or die horribly.

When creating a “Mixed” regiment simply add 2 points (for a total of 14) to the creation points and choose two Home Worlds OR two Regimental Types and each player will choose which of the two Home Worlds or Regimental Types he hails from. Commanding Officer, Special Equipment Doctrines and Training Doctrines remain the same.

-----------------

I’m keeping Commanding Officer, Special Equipment Doctrines and Training Doctrines the same because the Commander is still one person, and the other two are really about how a unit learns to function together which would develop over time and change when the two regiments were combined anyway (or one would become dominant). For example, if a Death-world Line Infantry regiment with Warrior Weapons, joined a Hive World Line Infantry regiment with Well-Provisioned then the Well-Provisioned aspects of the regiment would make the Warrior Weapons superfluous as they would have more than enough to arm everyone properly and they might have had Fieldcraft and Sharpshooters respectably but now they have Favoured Foe because it was, say Orks, that nearly killed them all. And this same regiment might spend some of its 30 extra equipment points to give everyone some primitive weapon to reflect that the Hive Worlders are learning the traditional weapons of their new fellows but are far from masters of it.

A note on mixing the Regiment Types might need to be added. For example, if a Fortress World Armoured Regiment and a Fortress World Recon Regiment join up to become the Cadian 82/28 Armoured Recon, both of those options give a squad vehicle so the players and GM would need to decide if the PC squad is a new Armoured Squad or Recon Squad in relation to the corresponding vehicle, but the PC's could still gain the other benefits for either one, such as Characteristics or Talents.

Let me know what you think.

I must say, the notion of the mixed regiment is actually a very nice solution for when players want to use different regiments for their own character. Obviously, some heavy GM overrides are going to be needed (no more than 2, maybe 3 if they buy me dinner), and there should probably be a ruling about 1/squad items (maybe pick a "dominant" regiment/the one the most party members belong to).

Not sure if I agree with the idea of selecting multiple homeworlds under one regiment. The members are still only from one world, I doubt they would just "pick up" those qualities from their new "friends."

KommissarK said:

I must say, the notion of the mixed regiment is actually a very nice solution for when players want to use different regiments for their own character. Obviously, some heavy GM overrides are going to be needed (no more than 2, maybe 3 if they buy me dinner), and there should probably be a ruling about 1/squad items (maybe pick a "dominant" regiment/the one the most party members belong to).

Not sure if I agree with the idea of selecting multiple homeworlds under one regiment. The members are still only from one world, I doubt they would just "pick up" those qualities from their new "friends."

If you are talking about my possible option, I was saying they could have one Regiment Type (ie Line Infantry) and two Home Worlds, or one Home World and two different Regiment Types.

For example, you could be a mixed regiment of Cadian Armored and Cadian Light Infantry. Or for example Two regiments of Line Infantry from different home worlds. The point is that some times there is only one regiment from Cadia and its at half strength and then there is a regiment from Mordia that is half strength, they are both Line Infantry and so they get group together. The PC's would pick only one of those Home Worlds in that example. Your Heavy may be from Cadia and your Sergeant may be from Mordia but they are both Line Infantry. The guy from Mordia (a Hive world) doesn't get anything from the Cadia (a Fortress world) and the other way around too.

If you weren't talking about my post feel free to ignore this, lol

The way I did it was keep Home World (although exceptions can be made, like doing Highborn), Commanding Officer and Additional Equipment the same. Letting Additional Equipment be up to each individual player makes it too open for them to get whatever they want, or minmax. So long as everything else added up together, it was fine.

Right now I have 3 'regiments'. Only one is actually Imperial Guard, and even that is a mix of different regiments (although they're from the same homeworld).

TCBC Freak said:

KommissarK said:

If you are talking about my possible option, I was saying they could have one Regiment Type (ie Line Infantry) and two Home Worlds, or one Home World and two different Regiment Types.

For example, you could be a mixed regiment of Cadian Armored and Cadian Light Infantry. Or for example Two regiments of Line Infantry from different home worlds. The point is that some times there is only one regiment from Cadia and its at half strength and then there is a regiment from Mordia that is half strength, they are both Line Infantry and so they get group together. The PC's would pick only one of those Home Worlds in that example. Your Heavy may be from Cadia and your Sergeant may be from Mordia but they are both Line Infantry. The guy from Mordia (a Hive world) doesn't get anything from the Cadia (a Fortress world) and the other way around too.

I guess its more I wouldn't put it past the Imperium to merge two companies, of completely different doctrines, from completely different homeworlds, just to get their numbers to make a smiley face. I think my disagreement was over nothing, it looks like I misread what you said. Still, I would be willing to allow for two completely different regiments to be created, and have players pick from either side. I would probably say they even have different commanding officers so as to represent the the leadership style they are most used to.

The nice part is mixed regiments are instant drama in a can, and as a GM relish the prospects of playing up the resentment some may feel.

KommissarK said:

TCBC Freak said:

KommissarK said:

I guess its more I wouldn't put it past the Imperium to merge two companies, of completely different doctrines, from completely different homeworlds, just to get their numbers to make a smiley face. I think my disagreement was over nothing, it looks like I misread what you said. Still, I would be willing to allow for two completely different regiments to be created, and have players pick from either side. I would probably say they even have different commanding officers so as to represent the the leadership style they are most used to.

The nice part is mixed regiments are instant drama in a can, and as a GM relish the prospects of playing up the resentment some may feel.

Agreed! That's how I feel about it too. One of my fav novels is the first Commissar Cain book where he takes command of two Valhalla regiments that got merged. The only diffrence between them is that one is a all female and one is all male before the merge and they were at each other's throat over all kinds of things, like founding day rituals and all kinds of stuff.

But after crunching the numbers a bit (not a whole lot cause I have to borrow my friends Laptop to spend a good time with the book, lol) it seemed too easy to game the system making two completely different regiments and picking. But it may be a good idea, I say we play with it some more and really nail this. Cause the mixed regiment idea needs to be done right, you know?