Vehicle Creation Rules?

By Frankie, in Game Mechanics

The current set up of vehicles is very, very barebones.

All we have is the Chimera, Leman Russ, Leman Russ Vanquisher, Basilisk and Baneblade. There's also little in the way of customizing vehicles.

But what if I want another variant, or say, want to stat out the Tauros? There's no rules on how to do that.

Have to agree. The lack of Tauros makes me really sad, especially because they get an explicit mention in the Elysians' write-up…

I'd say something like this, the first speed and maneuverability is for a more rugged, all terrain variant, to other is for a standard gun buggy.

Tauros

Type: Wheeled Vehicle Tactical Speed : 25 or 30

Cruising Speed : 100 or 120 kph Maneuverability + 20 or 10

Structural Integrity : around 15 Size: Enormous (difficult to say here, between on the large side of Hulking or the small size of Enormous)

Vehicle Traits : Open topped, Wheeled, Enhanced Motive Systems?, Rugged?, with a variant for an enclosed cockpit (the gunner is still out) and a Command vehicle.

Crew : 1 Driver, 1 Gunner (Turret)

Carrying Capacity; 1, 2 on recon

Weapons : Turret (or Sponson, depending on design of the gun emplacement)

One of the following : Heavy Bolter, Heavy Flamer, Mutli-laser?, Autocannon, Lascannon

Options:

Pintle mount : One of the following : Storm Bolter, Grenade Launcher, Heavy Stubber

Special Rules

Recon (transport?) variant : No turret weapon but 2 more transport capacity.

Command variant

Well looking at the ork bikes and considering that fluff wise the Elysians had a fight were they were evenly matched in speed and such this is what I got for the Tauros.

Tauros
A driver and a gunner, these four wheeled creations of the Imperium are capable of incredible speeds and feats of maneuverability that are unique to it's design.

Type: Wheeled Vehicle
Tactical Speed: 18m
Cruising Speed: 75kph
Maneuverability: +20
Structural Integrity: 16
Size: Hulking
Armor: F18/S18/R18
Vehicle Traits: Open-Topped, Orbital Deployment, Rugged, Wheeled
Crew: 2; 1 Driver, 1 Gunner
Carrying Capacity: 1 Imperial Guardsmen plus wargear

Weapons
Heavy Flamer (Front Facing; 30m; s/-/-; 1d10+5 E; Pen 4; Clip 20; Reload 2 Full; Flame, Spray)

Options
The Tauros may take one Hunter-Killer Missiles-mounted weapons.
Hunter-Killer Missile (300m; S/-/-)
Frag Missile (2d10+2 X; Pen 2; Blast 5)
Krak Missile (3d10+8 X; Pen 8; Blast 1)

The Tauros may change the Heavy Flamer for the following weapons:
Grenade Launcher ( 60m; S/-/-; Clip 6; Reload 2 Full)
Frag Grenade (2d10 X; Blast 3, Ogryn-Proof)
Krak Grenade (2d10+4 X; Pen 6; Concussive 0)

Tauros Venator
A driver and a gunner, this six wheeled version of the Tauros has additional galvanic cells to their motors from were the weapons draw their power.

Type: Wheeled Vehicle
Tactical Speed: 18m
Cruising Speed: 70kph
Maneuverability: +15
Structural Integrity: 20
Size: Hulking
Armor: F20/S20/R20
Vehicle Traits: Open-Topped, Orbital Deployment, Rugged, Wheeled, Reinforced
Crew: 2; 1 Driver, 1 Gunner
Carrying Capacity: 1 Imperial Guardsmen plus wargear

Weapons
Multi-Laser (150m; -/-/5; 2d10+10 E; Pen 2; Clip 100; Reload 2 Full; Reliable)

Options
The Tauros Venator may take two Hunter-Killer Missiles-mounted weapons.
Hunter-Killer Missile (300m; S/-/-)
Frag Missile (2d10+2 X; Pen 2; Blast 5)
Krak Missile (3d10+8 X; Pen 8; Blast 1)

The Tauros Venator may change the Heavy Flamer for the following weapons:
Lascannon (300m; S/-/-; 5d10+10 E; Pen 10; Clip 30; Reload 2 Full; Proven 3)

I'm sure there will be those kind of rules and/or additional vehicles in what I assume will be inevitable expansions, since every 40kRPG has had numerous ones (look at DW's Rites of Battle including TItans, for instance).

Plushy said:

Have to agree. The lack of Tauros makes me really sad, especially because they get an explicit mention in the Elysians' write-up…

It's a simple matter of space - a rulebook can only fit so much material in (and ideally needs to present a little bit of everything), and that means that some stuff may unfortunately have to be squeezed out in the process.

Cant you easily post it as a free supplement though? Anything that won't fit in the print could be shoved in as a free pdf supplement easily.

Frankie said:

Cant you easily post it as a free supplement though? Anything that won't fit in the print could be shoved in as a free pdf supplement easily.

Or held back to be used in the next supplement!

That's unfortunately more likely. :P

ItsUncertainWho said:

It does depend. Speaking entirely hypothetically - I'm not allowed to discuss the nature of any material as-yet-unrevealed - some material ends up being squeezed out during the writing process, due to the simple logistics of word counts… if I've only got 5,000 words to devote to a particular subject, and each discrete piece of that will take up 1,000 words each, then I can obviously only fit 5 pieces into that space. There's a little give-and-take here, arranged during editing and layout, but a lot of stuff that we (the writers) would like to include simply won't fit in the first place, so never gets fully written up.

Other material gets written, but removed because other elements took priority in the grand scheme of things. That sort of material often does reappear at a later date in another book - a fine example of this is the vehicle rules and ship roles sections of Into the Storm , which (along with a few other elements that have all made it into other books at various points) were originally planned to be part of the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook (and were announced as such in a designer diary), but which had to be cut due to the sheer quantity of material the Core Rulebook needed to cover. These items tend to be further revised and expanded upon before they find their way into a supplement.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

ItsUncertainWho said:

It does depend. Speaking entirely hypothetically - I'm not allowed to discuss the nature of any material as-yet-unrevealed - some material ends up being squeezed out during the writing process, due to the simple logistics of word counts… if I've only got 5,000 words to devote to a particular subject, and each discrete piece of that will take up 1,000 words each, then I can obviously only fit 5 pieces into that space. There's a little give-and-take here, arranged during editing and layout, but a lot of stuff that we (the writers) would like to include simply won't fit in the first place, so never gets fully written up.

Other material gets written, but removed because other elements took priority in the grand scheme of things. That sort of material often does reappear at a later date in another book - a fine example of this is the vehicle rules and ship roles sections of Into the Storm , which (along with a few other elements that have all made it into other books at various points) were originally planned to be part of the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook (and were announced as such in a designer diary), but which had to be cut due to the sheer quantity of material the Core Rulebook needed to cover. These items tend to be further revised and expanded upon before they find their way into a supplement.

Ah. Fortunately, there's books with statted vehicles. So making a variant off of X either exists or has something to reference from.