Ogryn Talents

By CodenameXXIII, in Game Mechanics

I dont understand one of the weapons talent of the Ogryn. They have Heavy and Ripper….The Ripper gun is not a exotic weapon. Is a basic PS weapon.

CodenameXXIII said:

I dont understand one of the weapons talent of the Ogryn. They have Heavy and Ripper….The Ripper gun is not a exotic weapon. Is a basic PS weapon.

I think it is because that ogryn have limited training of weapons and most weapons they will use will sooner or later break apart the weapons. If you look at the weapons, that are very few weapons that can be used by Ogryn without they breaking it apart.

CodenameXXIII said:

I think it's because the ripper should be an exotic weapon, or at least a heavy one, as their is no way the average joe can wield that thing without training (much less one handed, even with recoil gloves), and the special "counts as a warhammer' is unreasonable unless used by Ogryns and maybe some (quite angry) Space Marines.

The ripper gun really deserves better treatment, it's basically the only piece of kit for Ogryn. It needs to be handled less like a shotgun, which it is, and more like a shotgun that you could load a small Guardsman into in an emergency.

The Ogryn got a choice of 3 Ogryn-proof ranged weapons; the Ripper Gun, Stubber and autocannon.

I wouls day change the Starting Weapon talents as Heavy and SP, so an Ogryn player can enjoy all 3 weapons he can handle without crushing it like it wasn't there.

If they take the request of just making the ripper heavy, which it should be given that the recoil has been known to kill lesser men, then just give them heavy and bulging biceps as base abilities. The stubber and autocannon can be used by other specialties, more effectively usually given Ogryn's abysmal BS, so my point is they have 1 piece of unique kit and it should be treated a little better.

The Ogryn has the Auto-Stabalised trait which is btw spelled incorrectly, so he will never need bulging biceps.

And I think the weapon training should be SP and Heavy

I'll chime in as agreeing with the idea that Ogryn should have SP and Heavy, especially now that they've officially made Rippers Heavy. The only three Ogryn-Proof ranged weapons are all SP, after all. Low Tech would also be a good addition, considering that covers a lot of melee weapons.

They should also definitely have Low-Tech training - an Ogryn who doesn't know how to hit someone with a stick is highly suspect.

Morangias said:

They should also definitely have Low-Tech training - an Ogryn who doesn't know how to hit someone with a stick is highly suspect.

Hitting people with bludgening devices is probably a fundamental part of Ogryn psychological development; an Ogryn who doesn't know how to do it is probably a (worse) mutant and should be executed as a mercy for his own people's gene pool.

Also, their is the fact that the Ripper is treated as a warhammer when wielded in melee, so Ogryns need to be able to use it.

I assume proficiency with the ripper gun gives you proficiency with the bludgeon-y bits too, probably why they use "ripper" in the kill list. I still agree with Heavy, SP, and Low being the proper arrangement.

speaking of Ripper Gun, how about the Buzz Saw attachement? Giving the Warhammer stat another 1d10, tearing and pen 3 and unbalanced?