Not enough space on character sheets!

By Kajata, in General Discussion

I've had a look at the character sheet for Only War, and in putting together a character it seemed a bit limited.

Firstly, there were no spaces to list Aptitudes; I ended up listing them in the Psychic Powers slots, which isn't ideal.

Secondly, not much space for information about your Comrade.

Lastly, the space to put in gear seems a bit restricted, and it might be a good idea to print on the sheet the standard guardsman's gear that everyone gets, to save space.

Just some thoughts!

There never is.

That's why I make my char sheets in Excel.

BYE

H.B.M.C. said:

There never is.

BYE

Right? No sheets ever have enough spaceā€¦

One way I think they can help is taking the tiny section for psychic powers off the sheet and making another sheet for Psykers. It'd give a bit more space on the basic page and give the psychic a lot of space for their powers and such since that tinny bit barely holds the starting powers if you put more than the name.

H.B.M.C. said:

There never is.

BYE

Then would it be too much to ask that the current Character Sheets change ? Having additional sheets for characters is no bad thing, two sheets isn't always enough :P Heck, with Traveller and Exalted you can wind up with a small book! Even one more sheet could make a huge difference

I understand you may not be the right person to take this too and I certainly don't mean to shoot the messenger as it were, you just are handy, affiliated and active :)

Having basically gone over the entire character sheet for a couple hours while making my form-filled version I would suggest the following:

The first page can stay mostly as is, but I'd almost consider moving the wounds section over to the right and pushing the corruption over into its spot, then, as others have mentioned, making an aptitude section (I've been using the talents and traits column with "Aptitude: X" for my form-fillable variant, but the column gets pretty full pretty quick.

The second page could stand to have the weapon things shrunk down a little; simply cutting down on the space a mite would do this pretty quickly, for instance making the ample space where it says "weapon" each time be shorter.

I think psychic powers and the squadmate thing could certainly be on a separate page, since both apply mainly to certain characters. In addition, a vehicle sheet would be wonderful, since it's not super difficult to work with them but it would be nice to have separate stuff.

Experience could have total earned as well, it's simple addition but it could allow people to double-check the math.

Gear needs way more space; I've basically run out with not that much on the thing, and that's not counting the myriad of weapons every character seems to invariably wind up with. The armor section could be shrunk down a mite and would then allow a couple more rows for gear, and it could also have four blanks to cover armor-related stats.

I'd like to see a weight thing as well, somewhere by the gear/weapons, just for tallying purposes.

In addition, on two sheets you don't need the characteristics twice, to be totally honest, and they could be in shrunk down boxes on the second page to help expand the grievously shrunk down gear section if there's absolutely a need for them.