Homebrew Worlds/Origins

By Frankie, in Only War Beta

Void Born: Charmed is really, really powerful. Either up the cost for that origin or nerf that.

Forge World: Offer Intelligence as a bonus. They DO grow up around tech, you know. Maybe offer Tech-Use as a starting skill? And Forge Worlds are very polluted; maybe reduce Wounds by 1?

Lol, I actually meant to have one in Dark Heresy one used, but the one used in a homebrew game based off Evangelion was used instead. So a roll of a natural 9 on a 1d10 will give it back.

Added Tech-Use as a skill and Intelligence as an option for a bonus. Also reduced the startings wounds by one.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd offer this for Forge World (influenced by the Forge World HW from DH)

Homeworld: Forge World

Cost : 3 (maybe 4 would be more appropriate?)

Characteristic Modifiers: +3 Toughness and +3 to any one other characteristic

Skills: All Skitarii start with Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus), Common Lore (Tech) and Tech-Use

Fit For Purpose : Skitarii are augmented to better aid their combat purpose. All Skitarii begin play with two Good Craftsmanship cybernetics from the following list: Augur Array (One per Squad), Bionic Arm (both limbs is one choice), Bionic Legs (both limbs is one choice), Bionic Heart, Cybernetic Senses (Hearing or Sight), Respirator Filter Implant, Subskin Armour, or Synthmuscle

Stranger to the Cult: Being from a Forge World, Skitarii are given to worship of the God-Emperor as the Omnissiah of the Cult Mechanicus. This can leave them dangerously ignorant of the Imperial Creed and can surface when left to their own devices. Skitarii take a -10 penalty on Tests involving knowledge of the Imperial Creed, and a -5 penalty on Fellowship Tests to interact with members of the Ecclesiarchy in formal settings.

Monstrous Visage: Being blatantly and heavily augmented, these bred-for-purpose soldiers can have an unnerving effect on Civilians or Guardsmen sharing a front with them. As a result, Skitarii take -10 on Charm tests with all Civilians and NCO Guardsmen, but +10 to Intimidate checks on the same.

Well Equipped: Skitarii gain +10 Logistics rating to represent their rarity and value and their Main Weapon is automatically improved to Best Craftsmanship.

Starting Wounds: Skitarii increase their starting Wounds by 1.

Organizationally, the Regiment (or Cohort) is not part of the Imperial Guard but under direct command of an Adeptus Mechanicus representative. This can lead them into opposition with local Commanders should their commanding Magos feel it necessary in pursuit of the Quest for Knowledge.

Enlisted or NCO Guardsmen? Just double checking

Well spotted!

Both.

Mhm…the one thing with it is that I doubt 'Stranger to The Cult' will really come up much at all. Nor is -10 Charm for +10 Intimidate necessarily a bad deal. The rest are freebies (Well-Provisioned and Best Craftsmanship, free bionics).

Best Craftsmanship will have negligible effect in game as the Main Weapon choices are extremely limited and for ranged weapons, Craftsmanship is pretty poo imo.

How much Stranger to the Cult comes up is largely down to GM/Players. If they are interacting a lot with regular IG regiments is is almost guaranteed to be an issue at some point.

Please bear in mind I wrote them in about 5 minutes with a heavy leaning towards the fluff rather than sensible playable rules. Writing playable rules, as I'm sure you're aware, is an evolutionary process. I certainly don't mind re-writing them a dozen times if the end result is balanced and sensible.

Maybe introduce some Doctrinal limitations for them?

No Warrior Weapons or Scavengers SEDs?

Upping the Homeworld cost to 4 is probably not a bad shout then.

Reposting from the 'Post your own Regiments' thread:

"Say, what do you guys think of this Sororitas hack I saw somewhere?

1) Limit them to Imperial/Penitent/Schola homeworlds
2) Swap out Armoured Regiment for Sororitas Crusade
3) Replace the tank with Power Armour, lasguns with bolters and one bolter clip per 2 lasgun charge packs. Restrict their usage of Equipment Doctrines.
4) Forbid usage of Psykers and abhumans,
5) Characteristic Changes: +3 Willpower, -3 Intelligence, starting Skill Scholastic Lore: Ecclesiarchy and starting Talent Pure Faith as per that of Rogue Trader or Blood of Martyrs, your pick.

If we're going for BoM though, I'd houserule that the various Aptitudes for Faith Talents would be as follows:

Emperor's Sign: Willpower, Defence
Emperor's Mercy: Willpower, Social
Emperor's Wrath: Willpower, Offence"

Of course, this assumes you're willing to cross systems.

Avrelivs said:

Emperor's Sign: Willpower, Defence
Emperor's Mercy: Willpower, Social
Emperor's Wrath: Willpower, Offence"

Of course, this assumes you're willing to cross systems.

Even though the faith talents are not Psychic abilities, I would place them as Psyker and then a secondary of some type. Even among the faithful of the Echlesiarchy they are not common or inexpensive. But that's just my 2¢ on it, and a knee jerk thought.

-=Brother Praetus=-