Barracks Description Confusing

By Danayel, in Adventure: Against the Savages

The description of the barracks layout in Supply Depot Gamma 29 doesn't seem to make much sense.

"The front three quarters of each barracks is a single open room with… "

"…complete with full showers and toilets making up the back of each barracks. A narrow hallway between the restrooms and the sleeping quarters has two doors. One leads to a tiny private room… The other holds a small meeting room…."

If the front 3/4 is open, and the rear 1/4 is showers/toilets, where exactly are the two other rooms? Is the hallway across the width of the building with doors on the end? So the building is actually across shape?

Or does the hallway run the same direction as the building and the offices are to either side of it, and between the common area and the showers?

If it is this second option then perhaps it would be easier to understand with this description:

"Each platoon is assigned a basic hut structure as their barracks. Rather than metal construction, these are built from native woods. The interior of the barracks have a musty odour, but they are largely waterproof. Sleeping bunks fold out from the walls, with mattresses that are made of a natural fabric, which has an elastic quality and is surprisingly comfortable. The front three quarters of each barracks is a single open room with enough fold out bunks to accommodate a full platoon. There are no lockers, so soldiers must either bring a footlocker or live out of their packs, using the hooks mounted in the walls.

Each structure has the luxury of running water, complete with full showers and toilets to the rear of the barracks. A narrow open hallway joins the restrooms to the sleeping quarters and has two doors opening off of it. One leads to a tiny private room for the platoon’s commanding officer. The other holds a small meeting room with a table that can accommodate up to twelve individuals.
"

Oops, I posted my addendum to the wrong thread. Nothing to see here.

For what it is worth, most battle front army bases I have been on had communal or semi communal showers and toilets rather than in each building.

It takes a huge amount of time and resources to add plumbing and waterproofing to every barracks building, and the showers are only used once a day (usually less) by each soldier, and toilets only a couple of times a day. Given how resource poor the planet is, this seems like a huge waste, unless…

• The showers are outside and just a slab of concrete with a half fence around them.
  • The toilets are just holes in the ground with seat up the top.

Now that sounds like a quick and dirty army base!

Danayel said:

• The toilets are just holes in the ground with seat up the top.

A seat ?! This is the Empreror's Imperial Guard, son. You don't get a "seat", you can hover there…

Honestly, your description is more along the lines of what I was envisioning as well; though, probably a little more sophisticated.

-=Brother Praetus=-

It's not that hard to cut a hole in a crate, take the lid off and put it up the top.

Marvel at my MSPaint skills as I draw you an image of the Barracks based on the text you posted (since I haven't had time to read the adventure yet).

i46.tinypic.com/2qj9j79.jpg

Musclewizard said:

Marvel at my MSPaint skills as I draw you an image of the Barracks based on the text you posted (since I haven't had time to read the adventure yet).

i46.tinypic.com/2qj9j79.jpg

AMAZING!! happy.gif Thanks for the map, M-Wizard, I'm going to use it!

That is pretty much how I pictured it MW. Thanks.

At least I know my desciption works.